Darcie's Fan-Fiction

Turnabout

All original material included in this story are the creations of Darcie Daniels.

This story does not take place with the Maria stories. This takes place after MEDICINE.

Rating PG-13 for sexual content.

barbed wire

"Watch where you're going," Florie said gruffly, trying to pull away from him.

Austin's eyes roamed appreciatively up and down her figure. He had to admit that bastard Mosby had good taste. When she gave him a murderous look, Austin let her go. "Sorry," he shrugged, smiling.

The prostitute quickly walked past him on the boardwalk.

Austin continued to stare after her. That woman was right pretty, and Austin also heard that she was good. Of course, Mosby never said anything about her. Hell, Mosby would not claim her in broad daylight let alone say that he slept with her. Yet, everyone knew it.

So Austin had never touched her. But it was different now. Everything was different now. That bastard Mosby humiliated him. And his life was never the same.

Apparently, Florie's life had changed, too. Florie was no longer Mosby's girl. He heard that it had something to do with Call. Well, Call was good for some things, Austin figured.

Austin watched Florie walk into Twyla's. What would it matter now? All Austin wanted was a little fun. If Mosby found out about it, then all the better. Austin smirked just thinking about it.

He would have to visit Florie later on that night. But first, Austin supposed he ought to check in on his father. He had not been to the newspaper office in a couple of days. Austin spent most of his time drinking and smoking and whoring around in tent town. Once in awhile, he would shoot at tin cans. It was quite the life since he lost his badge.

He opened the door to find the office filthy as usual. Typeset was scattered everywhere, and there were a few whiskey bottles on the floor. He wondered if his father kept some full bottles in the usual places. He was a little short on money, and Austin wanted to make sure he had enough for Florie. But maybe he did not need to worry. She was not as expensive as she used to be, or so he had been told.

"Austin, is that you?" he heard his father call from the back rooms.

"Yes," he answered, looking underneath the press. He shook his head. No booze there.

Just then his father entered the room. He leaned against the doorway, his arms crossed.

"Nice to see you, too, Austin."

Austin straightened up and shrugged. "How are you, Father?"

His father looked at him judgmentally. "Better than you, I see."

Austin shrugged again. Father was in one of his better moods.

"Found work, Austin?"

His father already knew the answer to that. "You know I can't get work when Mosby runs this town."

"It's not stopping you from drinking and whoring. I wonder where you find the money."

"I've had an amazing streak of luck, Father," Austin remarked sarcastically. He would get lucky with Florie tonight, that was for sure.

"You've taken to gambling, too?"

Austin shrugged. It passed away the time.

"I worry about you, Austin. You'll end up nowhere if you keep going like this."

Austin smirked. "Where else do you think we are? Look, I have to go."

"You just got here," Josiah protested.

"Got people to see." Austin did, in fact. Harry wanted to talk to him about something. Austin tried opium once, and it made him sicker than a dog. Still, it took him to a different place than this. Austin wondered what Harry could have wanted.

"I just can't talk to you, can I, Austin?"

Austin regarded his father for a moment. Then he shut the door behind him quietly.

No, Austin thought bitterly. Father never could.


"Heard about you shooting that Lakota," Harry told him, offering him a seat on one of the cots in his opium tent. "Must have been a good shot."

Austin's eyes narrowed. "Yeah, so?"

"So I might need a man good with a gun around here. Business has been picking up."

"What happened to Li?"

Harry pointed to one of the partitions in the tent. "He took to liking to the merchandise. It's not so good when you want some security."

"And you want me?" Austin asked incredulously. "Everyone around here has turned me down flat."

Harry's eyes narrowed in turn. "Mosby doesn't scare me."

Austin smiled. He was beginning to like the Chinaman more and more.

"Now don't get too excited about it," Harry told him. "I just want you until I can get another man from California."

"Sure, Harry."

"I don't need a drunk, either. And I want no whoring or betting while you're here. What you do own your own time is your business, but while you're here, you're mine. Understand?"

"Sure, Harry. When do you want me?"

Harry regarded Austin critically. "Be here tomorrow. You better be cleaned up by then."

Harry stood and walked over to a small table in the tent. He examined some pipes.

Austin bit his lip. "How about an advance?"

Harry stared icily at him. "No work, no pay. Now go."

Austin left the tent. Things were looking up.


Austin was pleased. Florie was everything he thought she would be. She was the best whore he had ever been with, and he knew that she had enjoyed herself, too. She giggled and squealed just like a schoolgirl. She did not move like a schoolgirl, though, he thought lustily as he buttoned up his shirt. If he had more money, he would go another round. Hell, she enjoyed herself so much that she might let him ride her again for free.

"Don't get any ideas, cowboy," Florie told him gruffly, snatching his money and rolling it into a wad.

Austin snickered. "You had a good time, though," he told her.

"The best," she said, smiling sweetly.

He knew it. All the girls had a good time with him. "Better than Mosby, huh?"

Florie grimaced for a moment, and then she let out a small laugh. "You can't keep me, now can you, cowboy? Nobody will now."

Austin regarded her, unsure of what she meant. "I'll come back," he said, standing up from her bed.

"You'll have to hop on the stage, then. I'm leaving."

"What?" he asked her in disbelief. Mosby would never find out about them if they only did it once.

"That's right, cowboy," Florie replied gruffly. "Curtis Wells holds nothing for me now. But thanks to you," she said, counting his money, "I have enough cash now to leave. Guess I owe you one." She regarded him closely. "Guess not. I don't do it for free."

Austin stared at her. He could not believe it.

"You're gonna stay," he said.

"I've been replaced, cowboy. I don't go anywhere from here except down. I can't stay here. Maybe if I leave, I might have a chance. A girl like me can't afford to get old."

"You're not old," Austin argued. Hell, Florie was the prettiest and best whore at Twyla's. Cowboys were probably asking her to marry them every day.

"I'm running out time," she muttered, panic briefly etching her face. "I have no place here now. I can only take care of myself for so long. Have you ever seen the girls that end up in a crib? That's what will happen to me if I don't hurry."

Austin had seen those kinds of women in Sweetwater before it burned to the ground. They were old and gray. They were missing teeth. They were drunk or dazed on drugs. There was no way that could happen to Florie. She was too beautiful.

"That won't happen -- "

"I had a chance once ... before the robbery," she whispered. Then she lifted her chin bravely. Her voice regained its toughness. "I'll have a chance again. I'll be leaving."

"Damn that Mosby," Austin cursed under his breath. "That son of a bitch..."

"It's my own fault, cowboy," Florie snapped. "I took the wrong loving, and I knew it. I never thought he'd find out."

Austin frowned. That was what he thought, too, when he took the McSween's bribe. Then that bastard Mosby had almost hanged him ... he had took his job away from him. That son of bitch Mosby had to pay....

"He won't stop me this time. It's the bed I made, I suppose," Florie shrugged. Then she scrutinized Austin. "It's the bed you made, too, sheriff," she added sarcastically. "You reap what you sow."

Austin's mouth tightened into an angry line. She had no right to say these things to him. "At least I'm leaving," she continued. "He won't find out that I slept with trash."

Austin growled, but Florie stood her ground defiantly. Austin slammed the door on his way out.

The evening wasn't as fun as he thought it was going to be.

END
September 2002

barbed wire

Return to Darcie's LD Fan-Fiction Page