Darcie's Fan-Fiction

On the Couch with Newt (Dobbs) Call

DISCLAIMER: The characters and situations of the television program "Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years" are the creations of Rysher Television, and have been used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. This story is not to be published on any ftp site, newsgroup, mailing list, fanzine or elsewhere without the express permission of the author.

This work is the creation of Darcie Daniels.

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Here's the second in my series of Pyscho-bab-nalysis. The first I've affectionately entitled, "On the Couch with Francis Clay Mosby." Now, on to:

barbed wire

Patient information:

History of present illness:

NC grew up in Lonesome Dove, TX. His mother, a prostitute, died when NC was age 9, and his father never acknowledged his son until 1778. He traveled to Montana Territory at age 18 (?), and struck out on his own in 1778, as well. That same year he married Hannah Peale of Curtis Wells, daughter of Josiah Peale (who also needs analysis), and sister to Austin Peale (again, another person who needs analysis). Within months after marrying Hannah, Hannah died in an explosion. NC also found at that time that his wife had an indiscretion with Francis Clay Mosby, a somewhat associate of NC at the time. At that time, he left CW, took up bounty hunting, and has returned to CW.

Past medical history:

He was shot at least a couple of times in TS. He was at least once shot in the thoracic (chest) region (WHERE THE HEART IS???). It may explain most of his recent inactivity. If he runs, he may start to wheeze! ;)

Physical Exam:

Current multiaxial diagnosis of NC (based on the DSM-IV)

To get a better description about the DSM-IV read my pyschoanalysis of Mosby. (How's that for blatant self-promotion???)

Axis I: (Clinical disorders or other conditions that may be a focus of clinical attention):

Chronic Adjustment Disorder with possible substance abuse problems. (I'm not sure on this, though. What do you guys think?) The problem here is that Call is difficult to categorize. He doesn't exactly fit ALL requirements, but he fits just enough.

An adjustment disorder is as it sounds. NC is having an adjustment disorder to his wife's death. For more on adjustment disorders, check out this site: Adjustment Disorders

For information on bereavement: Growth House

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder -- NC witnessed a massacre in THICKER THAN WATER that traumatized him. The feelings of being hunted provoked his episode, much like Mosby's humiliating experience in THE ROBBERY provoked his flashbacks.

For more about PTSD, see my Mosby psychoanalysis. ;)

NC may also have a delusional disorder of unspecified type as far as Mosby is concerned: Delusional Disorders

Axis II: Personality Disorders (again, like schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, etc.).

None. Again, he has obsessive-compulsive qualities as far as Mosby is concerned, but other than that, no.

Axis III: General Medical Conditions (again, like asthma, etc):

Possible substance abuse disorder, probably a good series of concussions (the man just doesn't know how to duck), who knows what those gunshots did to him in TS?, otherwise healthy.

Axis IV: Psychosocial and Environmental Problems:

Problems with primary support group?

Yes, Hannah's dead, Josiah's crazy, Austin's power hungry, and he hates Mosby. Luther is gone most of the time, while Enona shows up once and awhile. Mattie again qualifies. I forgot. Unbob is his friend. Unbob is everybody's friend, isn't he?

Problems related to the social environment:

NC is pretty much on the same class level as most of the citizens of CW. Perhaps lower, for people did not think much of bounty hunters in those days.

Educational problems:

Not as educated as Mosby, but the man can read and write. Better than Joe Blow.

Occupational problems:

NC is questioning his job as bounty hunter. In THICKER THAN WATER he was trying to find a job unrelated to bounty hunting. He also has a problem from his reputation as a bounty hunter that makes him targeted for death. POOR CALL!

Housing problems:

Yes. NC has a problem in this regard. Where is this guy living in TOY? Ike's always after him about his Dove room, and sometimes he lives at the stable.

Economic problems:

Unless he's gambling with Zander or is actually doing a bounty, how is this guy living?

Problems with access to health care service:

Dr. Cleese. NC also has access to Indian healers.

Problems related to interaction with the legal system/crime:

He is sort of breaking the law, yet he is also part of the law. Should we say no or yes?? This rule usually applies if the person has broke the law.

Other psychosocial problems:

(Mosby), and environmental problems (mud).

On a rating of 1 to 6 (6 is worst), then Call is probably a 5 or a 6.

Axis V: Call's Global Assessment of Functioning.

We are looking at social relations, occupational functioning, and psychological functioning. I'd rate Call 51-60, which says MODERATE SYMPTOMS. (flat affect [which means he doesn't have the normal reaction to most situations. He doesn't laugh when he should, etc.] and circumstantial speech, occassional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (eg. few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers.)

Call's dirty, I grant you, which may lower his GAF score, but he isn't exactly rolling in feces, either, when you compare him to everybody else in CW. If Mattie can stand the smell of him, I guess he's okay. :)

Call's also violent, too, which would also lower his GAF score, but he needs to be provoked first. I think if you sit down on his bench with him, he'd be unlikely to shoot you. He may look at you funny, but I still don't think he'd shoot you. He's better at the end of TOY than he is at the beginning of TOY, so his GAF has to be raised.

Well, that's enough of that. I'll either do Austin or Josiah next. :)

END 9/97

barbed wire

Darcie Daniels

Return to Darcie's Lonesome Dove Page