Darcie's Fan-Fiction

After THE BETRAYAL

I wrote this little vignette after watching THE BETRAYAL, my favorite episode.

barbed wire

"You're all that's left of her. I'm bound to you."

The words echoed in Call's mind as they made their way back to CurtisWells. Who was this person riding next to him? He just did not know Austin anymore. He was so sure that Austin had set him up, yet Austin took a lot of bullets for him.

He heard Austin moan. He edged the Hell Bitch closer to the bay, just in case, though he was careful not to look directly at his former brother-in-law.

What happened to them? Call's heart ached as they rode side by side. They were different men then … they were friends. Austin was the closest thing that he ever had to a brother.

Now all Austin ever did was ride around with a big, shiny badge, playing dangerous games. Austin always did dig holes for himself, Call thought. He glanced over at the wounded man. This time, he just barely got out of it.

Call winced from his arm. He was so sure that Austin had set him up. He had thought that the man he knew as his brother wanted to kill him. Call remembered running, not from fear of Ned and his bunch, but from the rage and fear of what had become of his friend. That night … that night coming out of the Ambrosia when Austin lurked in the dark … Call understood the hate. He could see it on Austin's face with every horrible flash of lightening. Call had stood and shot down many men. He did not want to think about killing his former brother-in-law.

What did Mattie say -- that he enjoyed killing, that he enjoyed hurting people? Hell, Mattie didn't know what she was talking about. Austin was family.

"You're all that's left of her. I'm bound to you."

Call looked over at Austin. He was bound to him, too, whether he liked it or not.

Although if this all that was left of Hannah, they were both pretty sorry excuses. Hannah was never like this. Hannah would not like this.

They returned to Curtis Wells.

Austin dismounted and his knees buckled.

Call's good arm reached out to help his former brother-in-law. To his disbelief, Austin did not shrug him away.

July 2003

barbed wire

Return to Darcie's LD Fan-Fiction Page

Return to Darcie's Lonesome Dove Page