Darcie's Fan-Fiction

After THE CHASE

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Well, this is a bit of a departure for me. I'm writing in a different person's universe! Anyway, Rob Nunn graciously allowed me to use Ty Sexton, and I get to write for Maria in Rob's universe. This may be a little scary. You have to completely disregard my last episode (Maria and Mosby never kissed), and you have to remember the events in Rob's last episode (Mattie and Amanda were kidnapped, and Ty, Mosby, Call, and Austin went after them).

DISCLAIMER: The characters and situations of the television program "Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years" are the creations of Rysher Television, and have been used without permission. No copyright infringement is intended. This story is not to be published on any ftp site, newsgroup, mailing list, fanzine or elsewhere without the express permission of the author.

"Maria Bennett" and all original material included in this story are the creations of Darcie Daniels.

"Ty Sexton" is created by Robb Nunn (Wranglr2@aol.com) and is used with permission by Robb Nunn.

barbed wire

Setting: Directly after Rob Nunn's THE CHASE
Curtis Wells, Montana Territory, 1881.

Uncle Josiah could not get himself into too much trouble, Maria thought to herself as she entered the woods alone. Ever since Mr. Sexton, the new deputy, arrived, Curtis Wells could be called almost "peaceful." There was the occasional drunk disturbing the peace now and then, but the town was not nearly as rowdy as it once was. That was fine with Maria. She could focus on her family rather than worry about their personal safety.

Except now. Mr. Call, her cousin-in-law, and Austin, her cousin, followed Mr. Sexton and Mr. Mosby to save Miss Shaw and Miss Carpenter from a gang of ruthless kidnappers. Maria shuddered at the thought of what those dangerous men could do to the women. She remembered how a leader of a gang once roughly touched and nearly violated her. It was a nightmare she cared not to remember, and Maria hoped it was a nightmare should would not need to share with either woman.

Maria sighed as she found the perfect tree and began to climb it. The best place to read a book was sitting in the crook of a tree branch. Hopefully, reading would distract her from worrying about her family. Mr. Call was more apt to handle a dangerous situation than her cousin Austin. Mr. Call was a bounty hunter, after all. Maria knew he killed men for a living, and she wished he would find a less dangerous profession. Maria decided she would have to worry about that later. But her cousin Austin - it had been months since Mr. Mosby had him beaten for sabotage scheme against the railroad - and Austin was still set on revenge against Mr. Mosby. She hoped Austin would not confront Mr. Mosby in their journey together. Mr. Mosby could crush Austin if he truly wanted to. She prayed that Austin would not give Mr. Mosby an opportunity.

Maria settled onto a branch and thought about Mr. Mosby. She did miss his friendship, even though she did not approve of how he beat her cousin. Austin sabotaged their friendship, too. It was lonely without Mr. Mosby to talk to, Maria thought. What a muddled mess, she sighed.

Then her thoughts drifted back to her uncle Josiah. Austin did let her move back into the newspaper office after his altercation with Mr. Mosby. She thought that Austin would also tell her why Josiah treated her so indifferently, but Austin still refused to tell her. Josiah was certainly not forthcoming with the information. This morning Josiah barely spoke to her. He mumbled something about keeping the peace while Deputy Sexton, Mr. Call, Austin, and Mr. Mosby were absent from Curtis Wells. He seemed to be taking his mayoral duties appointed by Mr. Mosby a little too seriously. Surely Uncle Josiah could not get himself into too much trouble, Maria thought to herself, biting her lip. There was nothing going on in the town as far as she knew.

She slammed the book shut. She was kidding herself. Her uncle could get himself into heaps of trouble. Josiah was proficient at it. She should not have left him alone, Maria cursed herself.

Maria carefully placed her book in her muff and then she gracefully dangled from the tree, quickly climbing down the tree. She was well on her way back to Curtis Wells when she heard a plaintive, ghostly wail in the woods. It startled her. The noise came from above, as if it was about to jump and swoop down upon her.

Maria had good mind to run, but her body was frozen solid, her heart thudding with fear. She searched in vain for the wail, and then she saw it. Two pale eyes, cold and dangerous as a biting winter gale, stared out at her from the tree. A frightful wail emanated from its mouth. She stared, transfixed, at its eyes.

When Maria finally figured out what it was, she almost laughed. It was only a cat. It was a very frightened cat, too, by the looks of it. Maria saw tracks in the melting snow. A large dog must have chased the frightened thing up the tree. She looked more closely at the cat. It was scruffy and scrawny, and its pale blue eyes contrasted with a yellow, albeit, dirty coat of fur. Maria giggled to herself. The cat looked very much like Mr. Call.

Maria tried to cajole the poor thing down from the tree, but the cat would not budge. How typical, Maria frowned. The cat was just as stubborn as Mr. Call.

She gauged the tree, wondering it was possible to climb it. The top limbs, where the cat sat, would not support her weight. Oh well, she thought to herself, grabbing a tree limb. Maria had to try.

She started to climb, branches hitting her and scratching her face during the ascent. Maria cursed Mr. Call. Somehow this was his fault. Only a cat of Mr. Call's nature would pick the most dense tree in the woods. She would give Mr. Call a piece of her mind when he got back from that rescue mission of his. Maria wished he would not worry her so.

Again, Maria called out to the cat, daring not to go any further. The limbs that supported her were about ready to give as it was.

"Come on, kitty, kitty," Maria cajoled, holding the trunk of the tree very tightly.

She was up very high now. One miscalculation, and she could fall to her death. Stupid cat, Maria thought to herself. Maria knew better than to get herself into such a dangerous situation. Next time, Maria would think before she acted, she promised herself.

"Come on, cat," Maria ordered angrily. She could not remain suspended there all day long. Her arms were getting tired.

The cat only stared at her, and looked away, its face entirely aloof. Mr. Call would probably do the same stupid thing, Maria knew. Mr. Call would definitely need a talking to when he got back to Curtis Wells.

"Listen, cat," Maria reasoned, barely believing she was trying to have a conversation with the poor thing. "I know a place with plenty of mice. I've also seen a couple mice in the newspaper office. I could really use your help in killing them Please come down."

The cat stared at her in consideration. To her surprise, the cat climbed down to meet her. Maria had to give the cat credit. It usually took longer to convince Mr. Call to do anything. The cat was more practical than her cousin-in-law, it seemed.

The cat was smart, too. It knew instinctively to jump into her muff, which was suspended from her neck. Maria hoped the cat liked Tolstoy.

Maria heard a crack as the branch broke beneath her foot. Adrenaline and fear tightened her grip on the above branches, but they, too, began to crack under the new distribution of weight. Maria wrapped her hands and feet around the trunk, barely hearing the protest of the cat above the racing of her heart. The bark of the tree scratched her skin and tore at her clothes as she felt herself slipping. She prayed to God for mercy. There was no time for anything else.

He delivered. Maria felt something solid on her foot. It was a thick tree limb. She thanked God for his grace as she regained a better hold on the tree. Aunt Elinor was really looking out for her that time, Maria told herself.

Maria then cursed Mr. Call as she slowly descended the tree with very unsteady arms. He had no right to worry her so. Austin would get it, too, when he came home. As she dropped to the base of the tree, Maria thought she might as well get mad at Mr. Mosby for good measure. None of them should make her worry in the way that they did.

With her feet firmly on the ground, Maria thanked God again and sighed in relief. Then she pulled out the cat. It did, indeed, look very much like Mr. Call. Long hair framed its face, and its cute little ears stuck out from its face. Maria giggled at it.

"So you like mice, do you?" she asked the cat.

The cat's eyes narrowed dangerously, reminding her of Mr. Mosby at that moment. Maria sighed. She really did miss the town proprietor. He was her best friend.

"I hope you like rats, too. I really hate rats."

The cat licked its lips. Maria laughed at it.

"You do realize, of course, that if no one claims you, I get to keep you?"

The cat was unconcerned as it purred in her arms.

The cat was not of Mr. Call's temperament, Maria knew. Mr. Call would bat her aside by now.

The cat also licked its coat to preen itself, even though it was beyond filthy. That was another thing Mr. Call would not do. Maria hounded Mr. Call about washing and cutting his hair. Mr. Call did look more clean lately, however, Maria noticed. She wondered if Mr. Call's new found hygiene had to do with the arrival of Miss Mattie Shaw with Mr. Sexton. Maria wondered if Mr. Call went out to rescue Miss Shaw specifically. She smiled mischievously. When everyone was home, she would have to look into this situation between Mr. Call and Miss Shaw. The two unrequited lovebirds should not be kept apart.

Still, Maria wondered what to name the cat. "You look so much like Mr. Call, it is startling," Maria commented. "Maybe I'll call you, `Sir Newt.' I'm sure Mr. Call would appreciate that." Maria giggled when she imagined Mr. Call's reaction. He was hilarious when he was irritated.

Maria suddenly decided to examine the cat more closely. Then Maria blushed. "Pardon me, `Lady Newt.' I did not mean to insult you. Maybe I'll call you 'Newtia.' That sounds more feminine. Do you like that?"

The cat did not seem to mind as it purred in her arms. The cat knewits place.

"You are going to look so pretty when you get a bath." She wondered if the cat would be as allergic to bath water as Mr. Call seemed to be.

She sighed. Mr. Call and everyone should be getting back by now. Maria looked down at her torn dress, and the scratches on her face were beginning to hurt. Somehow this was all Mr. Call's fault.

Maria hoped everyone would be back home when she reached Curtis Wells. Mr. Call, Austin, and Mr. Mosby had no right to cause her such distress.

Mr. Sexton was at fault, too. If he was here instead of gallivanting around God's creation, then Maria would not have to would not have to worry about her uncle Josiah, either. Surely Josiah would get himself into trouble thinking he was the only law man in Curtis Wells. Curse Mr. Sexton for his gallantry. Curse Miss Shaw and Miss Carpenter for getting themselves kidnapped, too. They caused more worry than they knew. Maria prayed to God that everyone would arrive home safely. They all had to. It would not be fair, otherwise.

Maria finally arrived back in town. To her disappointment, the posse had not yet arrived in Curtis Wells. Maria had something new to worry about, however. She should have known something was wrong the minute she arrived by the dead silence of the town. Not another gun fight, Maria moaned to herself. She just had the windows replaced in the newspaper office. Besides, someone almost always died. The town was bloody enough as it was without more conflict.

"I hereby arrest you in the name of justice as mayor of Curtis Wells," she heard her uncle Josiah exclaim.

"Oh, God," Maria prayed aloud, suddenly very frightened. She was right. Her uncle Josiah was in trouble. She raced around the corner. She saw Josiah point his revolver at a very large man. The large man's back was turned to her.

"Is that right?" the man snarled at him, his large hand resting on his revolver at his hip.

Maria knew that the man was dangerous without even looking at him.

She also saw her uncle's courage briefly falter and then regain its strength.

"That's right," Josiah returned. "You're coming with me."

This was getting completely out of hand. The large man would probably kill Josiah as soon as spit.

That made Maria furious.

"I don't think so," the large man countered, his hand pulling out his revolver.

At that moment, Maria grabbed _War and Peace_ from her muff and yielded it like a stone tablet. With all her furious might, the book bore down upon the man's head. He misfired, and his shot missed Josiah. Josiah never even fired a round.

The large man, in rage, turned upon Maria, but her rage equaled his. How dare he try to hurt her uncle! How dare he try to take her family away from her! She yielded the book like a bat and swung. This time, she broke his nose. Blood streamed down his face, but that was not enough in Maria's opinion. That man could not pay in enough blood.

She was about to strike with her book again when the large man grabbed her by the throat and shook her like a rag doll. Her book fell in the melting snow.

Now Maria had the good sense to be afraid.

"Bitch!" he yelled at her, squeezing tighter. His revolver lifted up to shoot her when something small jumped on his face.

The cat hissed as it clung to the man. He screamed as the cat drew blood. He let go of Maria and threw the cat to the ground. When he recovered, it was too late. Maria retrieved her Tolstoy. More importantly, her uncle Josiah held his revolver to the back of the large man's head. Several townsman, out of hiding, also drew their weapons.

"You're coming with me," Josiah insisted.

Hopelessly outnumbered, the man relented, and Josiah handcuffed him and proudly led him toward the jail. Josiah did not even acknowledge Maria.

Maria regained enough of her composure to get angry at her uncle for his foolishness. She swooped up the cat.

"Uncle Josiah," she called out to him, following him as he led the large man to the jailhouse. "What in heaven's name do think you are doing?"

"I just made a citizen's arrest. Someone has to maintain the peace around here."

Maria stomped her foot in frustration. She hated it when Josiah was in one of his "justice" moods. It was just as intolerable as his "Revelations" sermons.

"Uncle Josiah, you are in no position to be doing such a thing. Leave it to experienced men like Mr. Sexton or Mr. Call. If it hadn't been for my cat here, both of us might have been killed."

The large man swore at her, but Maria ignored him. The cat hissed at him, however. The cat knew that swearing was entirely rude.

"Harm will not come to those who are vigilant," Josiah explained, looking almost sad, stepping into the doorway of the jail.

Maria shook her head. It was no use arguing with him when he was in a mood like this. She wished Austin was here. He had no better control over his father, but at least he understood how frustrating his father could be. Maria wish Austin would hurry home.

In fact, it was high time everyone got home, she thought to herself as she made her way to the newspaper office. She had to change her clothes and wash her scrapes and scratches. She prepared herself for another battle, too, when she decided to give the cat a bath.

Maria stomped her foot in worry when she reached the newspaper office door. They should be home by now. She prayed that they had not got into trouble.

She was about to open the door when she spotted the posse enter the outskirts of the town. Her heart raced in anticipation. They traveled with a covered wagon, driven by someone Maria did not know. Mr. Call's white mare was obvious, and Mr. Call appeared to be fine. It looked almost as if Austin was riding beside him, but Maria knew it could not be. It was not Austin's horse. It had to be Mr. Sexton. The town deputy and her cousin had almost the same build, except Mr. Sexton was shorter. Maria looked for Austin in the posse, but instead her eyes found Mr. Mosby and his dark horse. Maria was relieved that Mr. Mosby was all right, but now she began to panic. The only remaining living person riding was that blond woman, Miss Shaw. There were dead bodies dangling over Austin's horse.

"Oh, God," Maria whispered, dropping the cat, her heart filling with fear.

The townspeople began to gather around the posse.

No, no. Not Austin. Please God, not Austin, she prayed, awkwardly throwing the muff with her book on the ground. It became an unbearable weight.

Maria grabbed her skirts and ran to them, every step driven by a pounding and overwhelming panic.

The crunch of the melting snow reminded her that the ground was frozen. There could be no way they could dig a grave for Austin.

They could not bury Austin. They could not bury Austin. They could not bury Austin.

When she reached them, weaving through the townspeople, she acknowledged no one and ran directly to the dead bodies. The first corpse had a head of straight, dark brown hair. Her hand gently cupped the rough, unshaven face as she slowly lifted his head. She did not want to harm Austin. Maria never realized that the human head could weigh so much.

Maria examined his face. Dried blood was upon his lips, and the face was bloated with death. Dark, steely brown eyes stared at her, almost fixating directly into her soul. Maria yanked her hands away, the head unceremoniously dropping to its former position. It was not Austin. Whoever it was, it was not Austin.

Maria quickly regarded the next body and knew it was not her cousin. This one had dark, curly hair. It was Mr. Mosby's man Ike. Dear God, she thought to herself. How many people had to die?

What was her cousin wearing before he left Curtis Wells? Maria closed her eyes and desperately tried to remember what Austin was wearing. It was hard to concentrate. Austin always wore a dark, gray coat. That was it. Look for a dark, gray coat, she told herself.

She saw a dirty, gray color and run around the horse to view the body.

Her cousin was dead. Her cousin was dead. She was sure of it. Her cousin was dead.

A hand grabbed her wrist before Maria could touch the corpse. It was Mr. Call.

"He's right there," Mr. Call pointed to the covered wagon.

Maria stared right through him. Again, she tried to reach past him to touch her dead cousin.

"No, Maria," Mr. Call repeated, pointing to the wagon. "He's right over there."

Her gaze drifted over to the wagon. The townspeople were gathered around it, anxious to see who, living or dead, was inside. Austin withdrew the flap of the wagon and stepped out, his armed bandaged by a torn, blood-soaked petticoat.

Maria could only stare at him. He was alive. He was alive. She smiled widely, tears forming in her eyes. Her cousin was alive. Thank God.

Austin saw her and gave her an odd look. He seemed almost startled that someone had worried about him. His face softened as a smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

Austin turned away from Maria and helped Miss Carpenter out of the wagon, despite the fact that he was wounded and very pale.

Maria watched as Miss Carpenter accepted her cousin's help. The hotel keeper then straightened her skirts.

A sudden rage burned inside Maria. This was Miss Carpenter's fault. Austin went out to rescue her, and he had been shot because of her. How dare Miss Carpenter. How dare she even come close to her cousin.

Maria stalked up to her and shoved Miss Carpenter aside from Austin. Maria ignored her as the hotel keeper protested.

Then just as delicately as she could, Maria hugged Austin, taking care not to touch his wounded arm.

"Oh, Austin, I'm so glad you are all right."

Austin was at a loss for words for her erratic behavior. His undamaged arm awkwardly patted her back.

"Austin! Austin!" Josiah cried as Austin pulled away from Maria. "Are you all right, son?"

"I'm fine, Father," he said, gritting his teeth when Josiah accidentally hurt his wounded arm.

"I knew I should have went with you," Josiah regretted out loud. "I should have been watching you. Then none of this would never have happened."

Austin looked insulted, believing that Josiah should have more confidence in him. "I'm fine, Father," he repeated. "Now will you stop it?"

"I shouldn't have let you go. This is my fault," Josiah ignored him, a very lost demeanor upon his face.

Austin and Maria exchanged sad looks. They knew Josiah's statements had more to do with his deceased daughter, Hannah, than it had to do with his living son, Austin. Josiah was inconsolable when he was in this type of mood.

"It's not your fault," Austin gruffly told him, turning towards the direction of Dr. Cleese's office.

Mr. Sexton, Mr. Call, and Miss Shaw led the dead bodies to the gun shop/town mortuary, while Miss Amanda decided it was best to freshen up at the Lonesome Dove Hotel. Mr. Mosby dispersed the rest of the gawking town, he himself walking over to the Ambrosia Club for some stiff drinks. Now Josiah, Austin, and Maria were alone, except for a few townspeople going about their normal business. A gunshot wound in the arm was of little consequence to the town.

Josiah hurried to support his son as he walked up the steps to the doctor's office. "Let me help you, Austin," he called after him.

Austin turned, a small smile on his lips as he graciously let Josiah support him. Maria rushed behind them, anxious to help in any way possible.

"Maria, you stay out of this," Josiah ordered.

"But Uncle Josiah - " she protested, following them as they walked up the stairs.

"I said, 'stay out!'" Josiah snapped. "Quit your meddling and find someone else to bother."

It felt as if Josiah had physically slapped her. Austin was her family. She could not be denied her family.

To hell with Josiah, Maria thought to herself. Austin was the important one now. Undaunted, she looked up to her cousin for his decision.

He stared at his father on the landing and looked down at his cousin a few steps behind him. Austin's mouth twisted in momentary pain, and then he looked guiltily away from Maria, nodding for his father to help him.

"That's right, son," Josiah soothed him. "Go on inside, and Dr. Cleese will patch you up. I'll be there in a minute."

Maria could only stare at her cousin, a pained expression on her face. He did look sorry as he entered the doctor's office.

She wanted to follow him. She had to know if his arm was going to be all right. She was about to enter the doctor's waiting room when Josiah stopped her.

"Maria," Josiah reprimanded her. "Austin doesn't like you. I don't want you upsetting him. Stay out and quit meddling. You're not wanted here."

Josiah could have physically punched her, and it would have had the same affect. Tears welled in her eyes. It was true. Austin did not like her. Josiah treated her with total indifference. Mr. Call was the only one who truly regarded her as a human being, but even he, at times, could be cold and distant. Her uncle Josiah was right. Austin probably would not want her to be there. She had to think of Austin now.

But she could not totally stay away. She sat on the landing while Josiah paced in the waiting room. She watched through a window as Dr. Cleese said something to alleviate the worry on Josiah's face. She sneaked into the waiting room as Josiah tended to Austin in the sick room, only to sigh herself in relief when Dr. Cleese pronounced that Austin's arm would be fine. She peeked inside the sick room while Josiah and Austin talked very quietly, careful not to disturb them. She intended to go directed to the newspaper office to clean and prepare for Austin's return when she met Miss Carpenter on the bottom of the steps.

"How's Austin?" Miss Carpenter inquired.

Maria sneered at her. "He's fine, no thanks to you."

"Listen, Maria," Miss Carpenter protested indignantly. "If you think I got kidnapped for my own enjoyment, you're as crazy as your uncle. I can't help it if Austin wanted to save me."

Maria's mouth twisted into an angry line. "Leave my cousin alone. You're no good for him," she told the hotel keeper, preventing her from going up the stairs to visit Austin. That woman would not get near Austin, not if she could help it.

Miss Carpenter, insulted, stepped threatening towards Maria as Maria's fingers tightened into a firm fist. "I've had just about enough of you," Miss Carpenter spat, her beautiful eyes lighting with fury.

Giving Miss Carpenter a broken nose would be fun, Maria knew. The hotel keeper might look better with a few missing teeth, too, Maria smiled to herself. She waited for Miss Carpenter to make the first move.

"Ladies, ladies," Mr. Sexton suddenly intervened between them, preventing a potential altercation. "It's understandable that both your nerves are shot, but don't you think there's been enough blood for one day?"

Maria looked away from him, sighing. The deputy was right, of course, even though she did not want to admit it. Maria did vow to herself, however, that if Miss Carpenter so much as sneezed on Austin, she would beat the hotel keeper to a bloody pulp. Aunt Elinor would never approve, of course, but it would give Maria much satisfaction.

"Yes, of course, Mr. Sexton," Miss Carpenter answered his question, purring huskily.

Maria rolled her eyes in disgust. The hotel keeper was supposedly lovers with Austin, yet she flirted unabashedly with another man while her lover was wounded just up the stairs from her. Out of the principle of the thing, Miss Carpenter should at least wait until she and the deputy were alone.

Mr. Sexton's brown eyes looked towards Maria for her response. She did not answer his question, but changed the subject.

"I've have things to do," Maria said, her voice very quiet. Poor Austin deserved a clean room and a hot meal when he returned to the newspaper office. Maria was wasting his precious time on such foolish nonsense. Maria cursed herself. She should have known better.

"Excuse me," she whispered, absentmindedly curtseying to the deputy. She had many things to do and little time to do it in.

She spent the rest of the day cleaning and preparing the newspaper office for Austin's return. Austin and Josiah did not speak a word to her during dinner, and Maria made sure that Austin had clean sheets on his bed. Josiah spent the rest of the evening with his bible and a bottle of whiskey. Austin, thankfully, slept.

The last thing she attended to that evening was the cat. Tears fell freely from her eyes as she bathed the protesting cat outside the newspaper office. The long scratches she received on her arms did not hurt as much as the total rejection from her family.


"How's Austin?" Mr. Call asked as Maria sat down beside him on his bench.

Austin looked much better this morning. His face was not as pale as it was last night.

"He's fine," Maria returned, sighing, placing her cat Tia on her lap. The cat was still mad at her this morning, but Maria bribed her way back into the cat's good graces with a bowl of fresh milk and a new, fluffy pink ribbon placed around its neck. The cat, even though it did not enjoy the bath, still knew it looked beautiful being clean. It preened itself on Maria's lap.

"Looks like you've got a new friend," Mr. Call dryly commented.

Then his pale blue eyes stared out at the street. Something was disturbing him.

"She is pretty, isn't she?" Maria referred to the cat.

After a moment, Mr. Call answered, "Yeah."

Maria then looked up and saw that he was staring at Miss Shaw across the street. Indeed, the blond woman was beautiful.

This new information lifted Maria's spirits. Maria suspected as much. Mr. Call must be in love. It gave her something else to think about rather than her family's behavior. She would have to question Mr. Call on his feelings for Miss Shaw.

"It doesn't matter anyways," Mr. Call muttered, kicking some ice off the walkway.

Maria frowned. She regarded her cousin-in-law closely. He had that look sometimes when he came off from a bounty, particularly one of his bloody ones.

Maria never knew what to say to him during those times. She looked down at the cat.

"She's going to be a good mouser, Newton. I watched her this morning. You should have seen the way she pounced on a rat in the alley. It was beautiful."

Mr. Call laughed sardonically under his breath. "She likes the kill. She likes the thrill of having another life in her hands."

Maria had the feeling that Mr. Call was speaking more of himself than he was about the cat.

"Newton!" she reprimanded him. "You shouldn't speak of her so! What she is doing is a noble thing. Rats and mice are dangerous creatures." Maria shuddered at the thought of rats. Maria really hated rats. "She is doing mankind a service. Someone has to rid the world of rats. I just wish they weren't so vicious. They can really hurt my poor kitty." She snuggled closer to the cat, burying her nose in its clean fur. The cat purred in her arms.

Mr. Call nodded at her, a smile tugging at his lips. He understood what she was talking about him, not the cat.

"You would take a liking to a stupid cat," he intoned dryly after a moment.

"Oh, but she is smart. Look, Newton," she said, shoving the cat into his hands. He held the cat awkwardly. "She looks just like you." Maria ignored his annoyed look, and continued, "Isn't she adorable? And she is so noble and very valiant. I named her after you, you know. 'Lady Newtia' is her name. I'll call her 'Tia' for short." Maria then smiled mischievously to herself. "Maybe I'll ought to rename her 'Lady Newtie.' Would you like that, Newton?"

Her cousin-in-law looked like he was going to shoot her.

Maria laughed at him. "Look - she's looking at you!"

The cat purred in his hands, even when Mr. Call held her awkwardly.

Mr. Call's face was priceless. He did not know whether to be annoyed, angry, or honored by the affection of the cat. Maria smiled at him.

Her cousin-in-law opted for annoyance, shoving the cat to the ground. He looked away aloofly, but the cat rubbed affectionately against his boot. Maria giggled. Mr. Call could not help but be charming. Maria was sure he could charm Miss Shaw if he really wanted to.

"Stupid cat," Mr. Call grumbled, kicking his leg away from the feline.

The feline sought affection elsewhere. The cat rubbed against a weathered boot that covered worn denim trousers. Maria looked up and saw Mr. Sexton. She did not even noticed when he stepped up to greet them.

"Tia!" Maria reprimanded, scooping up her cat, quickly sitting back down. Unlike Mr. Call, some people did not like unruly animals.

Mr. Sexton smiled crookedly at her. "That's all right, ma'am. The cat's just having a good stretch, that's all."

Maria remained silent, blushing. The cat should not have been so fickle.

Maria also remembered her terrible behavior with Miss Carpenter yesterday. It was quite embarrassing. Mr. Ty Sexton always seemed to catch Maria at her more humiliating moments.

Mr. Sexton smiled briefly at her, then nodded to her cousin-in-law in acknowledgment.

"Ty," Mr. Call returned.

Obviously these two men had some official law business to discuss. Maria stood up and was about to excuse herself when Mr. Sexton stopped her.

"There's no need to get up, ma'am. You're the one I actually wanted to talk to."

Maria had no idea what he would want to discuss with her. She looked at Mr. Call, but he did not have any knowledge why the deputy was talking about, either. She sat down, trying to recall if she should have any reason to be alarmed. Surely, Maria's behavior was unruly at times, but it never had her arrested. Aunt Elinor would never approve of her niece being in jail, Maria knew for certain. Maria frowned.

"I heard about the run-in you had with Jenkins yesterday," Mr. Sexton commented.

Jenkins? She thought. Then she remembered. He was the large man her uncle confronted yesterday.

She would rather not think of that. Both Josiah and herself could have been killed.

"Mighty brave of you, ma'am, if you don't mind me saying so."

That, or incredibly stupid, Maria thought to herself.

Maria nodded at Mr. Sexton, weakly thanking him. She did not deserve praise when she behaved so stupidly. She really ought to think before she acted, she cursed herself.

"There was a bounty on his head, if you didn't know, ma'am. Part of that reward money should be yours."

Now Maria was truly embarrassed. She should not be rewarded for such unladylike behavior.

"I heard you let him have it with a book, Maria," Mr. Call commented. "What? Didn't you think he took to book learning as he ought?"

Mr. Call was teasing her now. She felt like hitting him, but Aunt Elinor never would have approved. Maria's eyes narrowed at him to keep quiet.

"Damn. Wish all my bounties could be that easy," Mr. Call continued, his voice very wry.

"No, that's quite all right, Mr. Sexton," Maria told the deputy, about ready to punch her cousin-in-law. Mr. Call's mouth twisted into something of a grin. "I don't want any reward money."

Mr. Sexton smiled at them. "It's just a shame that he roughed you up like that. I don't like it when womenfolk are treated badly in my town."

She approved of his noble opinion, and then blushed. She still had scratches on her face from the previous day. She must have looked a mess. Maria sighed. That could not be helped, she supposed.

"I had a run-in with a tree, that's all," she explained, her eyes narrowing at her cat. The cat looked completely innocent. So did Mr. Call. She remembered her anger and stomped him on the foot.

"What'd you do that for?" Mr. Call protested.

He knew that he had made her worry. She swore that he was dense on purpose.

She remained silent. He did not need to have the obvious explained to him.

Mr. Call and Mr. Sexton exchanged the "Women are hard to figure" look.

Men, Maria moaned to herself.

Mr. Sexton asked her, "What would you like me to do with the reward money, ma'am?"

Maria sighed. It was back to that. Then she smiled mischievously. She did have to see to her cousin-in-law's interests, after all.

"I say let's put that money in a fund for a town library. We'll make Mr. Call here the librarian, and everyone will be sure to return their books on time. No one could refuse Newton Call as the town librarian. Wouldn't you agree, Mr. Sexton?"

Mr. Sexton bit his grin as Mr. Call rolled his blue eyes to the heavens out of annoyance. Maria laughed at him.

"I'd just settle for him being sheriff, ma'am."

The deputy tipped his hat and left.

Maria watched him walk away. That man did have a good idea, Maria thought. Sheriffing was certainly less dangerous than bounty hunting. At least the danger was confided into one area.

Mr. Call needed to be the Curtis Wells sheriff. Mr. Mosby probably would not like it, but still, it was an extraordinary idea. Indeed, Maria smiled to herself. That would be something she would have to see to. After all, her cousin-in-law's interests were her first priority. This might be fun.

But first, there was this business between Miss Shaw and Mr. Call that needed attended to. Hmm, she thought to herself. This might even be more fun....

END
1/98

barbed wire

Darcie Daniels

Return to Darcie's Lonesome Dove Page