Darcie's Fan-Fiction

Episode 27: Tea for Two

barbed wire

September 1882

"I know that Robert is not pleased with it, that's to be sure. But he says that Mr. Mosby's been like this before. He says that Mr. Mosby will come to his senses eventually, " Maria told her blood brother as he sipped his morning coffee. "You must make allowances. Mr. Mosby is grieving after Miss Florie's death."

Coffee sloshed onto the table as he placed down the cup. "Mosby doesn't care about anything but himself. You've seen what he's done to this town. All he cares about is his money."

"That's not true, Newton," Maria said. She knew that Mr. Mosby's men were a little more domineering as of late, but Maria thought that perhaps Mr. Mosby had reason for this sudden increase of the town taxes. "I think he wants to leave some sort of legacy for his son."

Her blood brother snorted.

Maria regarded him. She knew that the more Mr. Mosby tightened his grip upon the town, the more likely her blood brother would confront him. She was afraid of what might happen.

"Robert says it will be over soon."

"Meanwhile it's the people like the Taylors who are turned out of their businesses. Mosby just doesn't care."

Maria bit her lip. She and Dr. Cleese had spoken to Miss Taylor privately and given the woman money to pay for the taxes on the dress shop. Her father was not known to accept charity. Thank goodness his daughter was more practical about such matters. Now father and daughter could continue to supply the town with all its clothing needs. "I don't know, Newton. Things have a way of working out. In fact, I will be quite surprised if Dr. Cleese is not engaged to Miss Taylor within the next month or two. At least that will be happy news. Won't it be fine, Newton, to have another wedding in town? You could shoot any bats out of the church, like you did for mine. Oh, that was such a lovely wedding. Don't you think so?"

She sighed, and he snorted.

"Oh, Newton. If only Mr. Mosby could find another love, then he --"

"Mosby doesn't love no one."

"Hush. You know I caught Miss Carpenter looking at him with concern in her eyes. I heard that they were friends at one time. They would make such a magnificent looking couple. Do you suppose that--"

"No."

Maria sighed. "I suppose you are right. She's not too happy that he has increased her taxes higher than the rest. That sort of thing can only make her resentful."

She suddenly scrutinized her blood brother. It would be a strange pairing between her blood brother and the hotel proprietress, Maria thought, but it might work. Of course, Miss Carpenter was too tall for him, but true love knew no heights or limitations. If only --

He signaled for her to stop, and he pushed away from the table.

"But Newton, you haven't finished your breakfast."

"Don't need you mapping out my life."

"But I didn't say anything!"

"You don't have to. I can see it in your face."

"That's silly, Newton. Sit down and eat the rest of your breakfast. I will not have on my conscience you starving. You know how delicious Miss Callie's eggs are. I'm sure that we can order you some more."

"Lost my appetite."

"Sit down and hush. You're just being contrary. I didn't do anything wrong."

"Yet," he sniffed.

She regarded him with growing concern. "My goodness, Newton. Are you getting a cold? I heard your sniffling." She stood up abruptly and felt his forehead.

He swatted her hand away.

"Go fuss over someone that cares."

She coolly assessed him. "You're not feverish yet. If you sit down and drink some hot tea, I'm sure that you'll be feeling better. I have fresh pot right here."

"I ain't sick, and I'm not drinking no damn tea. Now leave me be."

Their sparring drew the attention of a less scrupulous diner in the hotel. His eyes narrowed in recognition at the bounty hunter.

"Why, if ain't my old friend Newt Call," he sneered.

The bounty hunter scrutinized him. "Do I know you, mister?" He stepped in front of Maria.

"You could say that," the man said casually, looking away. "You killed my brother!" Then he grabbed for his gun and shot at the blond man.

Maria felt herself being thrown to the ground amidst the screams of the other patrons. She saw Miss Carpenter rush in from the kitchen and yell for the deputy. The bounty hunter disentangled himself from Maria and charged at the man firing at them. He grabbed his arm, smashed it against the wall, and the gun flew out of the man's grip. The man butted heads with him, sending the bounty hunter staggering backward. Then he charged at him, and both men crashed into a table. They struggled, and the man punched her blood brother. Soon the man had a knife. As he raised it up to stab him, she jumped on the man. He pitched her off, and she flew headlong into the sideboard. Her blood brother rushed at him, slamming him against the wall. He jabbed him twice and kneed him in the gut. The man fell to the floor, moaning. He pulled him up by the scruff of the neck and punched him again. Maria snatched a silver tea pot from a startled Miss Carpenter's hands and handed it to her blood brother. He whacked the man on the head with a resounding clang.

"Will that be one lump or two?" He hefted the tea pot over the man threateningly.

The man moaned in surrender. The bounty hunter threw the pot at him and picked him up. He dragged him out of the hotel as Mr. Mosby and Robert came in. Maria tried to follow her blood brother, but her husband stopped her.

"What the hell is going on here?" Robert demanded of Maria about the same time that Mr. Mosby demanded it of Miss Carpenter.

Maria inspected the mess. She shrugged at her husband.

He held her jaw for inspection. "My God, you're hurt."

Her eye was throbbing a bit. "It's nothing. Now let me go. I have to see to Newton."

Robert looked around, disgust on his face. "He's done enough, don't you think?" He firmly took her by the arm. "You're coming with me to Dr. Cleese's."

"But Robert, I'm fine --"

"Not another word," he said with clenched teeth. He forced her to come with him.

As he was taking her to the doctor's office, Maria looked over her shoulder to see her blood brother toss the man into the sheriff's office.

Good for him, Maria thought.


"Oh, Robert, I don't see why you are so excited. I'm not hurt, and Newton took in a dangerous man. He's wanted in three territories, you know," Maria told her husband as they entered their apartment later that afternoon.

"Maria, you could have been killed. My God, a man was shooting at you today."

Maria thought perhaps it was not a good time to mention that she and Robert had been shot at only a few weeks ago. He had told her to stay down, and she had not listened. She patted his cheek. "It's over now. Everything is fine."

"It's not fine. What's to prevent this from happening tomorrow?"

Maria sighed. "The man is in jail, Robert. You know he can't harm me or anyone else while he's in there."

"Damn it. You know that's not what I meant. Call's a dangerous man. You were almost killed today because of him."

"Now see here," Maria said, placing her hands on her hips. "If anything, Newton saved my life. As he has several times."

Robert clenched his jaw. "You were put in harm's way because of him. My God, look at your face --"

"It's just a little old bruise."

"And then you joined in the brawl like a common hooligan. You should have stayed down. But no, you joined right in."

Maria knew that her actions had been little un-ladylike. "He was hurting my blood brother. I had no choice but to help."

"You did have a choice. You should have stayed out of it. Better yet, you should stay away from Call all together. He's too dangerous for you to be around."

"Now that's just plain nonsense," Maria argued. "He's my blood brother."

Robert's mouth tightened. "He's a bounty hunter and a killer. He's not the kind of man you should be around."

"He would never hurt me."

"He's around people that would hurt him. That shot could have killed you. One of these days a bullet is going to find him, and I don't want you around when it does."

Maria frowned at him. "That's precisely the time when he needs me most."

"He's a killer --"

"He is not. He only does what he has to do. Perhaps if we could only invite him over for dinner, you could see that --"

"I'm not having a bounty hunter in my home."

Maria knew that Robert had been a fugitive for years before she had met him. "Dearest, I can understand how you feel. I'm sure you've never met a pleasant bounty hunter --"

"Are you telling me that Call is pleasant?" Robert asked wryly.

Maria scratched her neck. "Perhaps 'pleasant' isn't the right word."

"'Mean' is more like it."

"'Surly' is better. Oh, Robert. There is a reason why he is the way he is. He's still grieving over the loss of his wife."

"And I don't want to be losing mine."

Maria smiled at him. "Dearest, you won't be losing me."

"Damned right I'm not. You're not to see Call anymore, do you hear me?"

"Now, Robert, I know that you're upset --"

"You're not going to sit at his bench anymore or converse with him. Is that understood?"

Maria could not believe what he was saying, yet Robert looked completely earnest.

"You can't tell me to do that."

"The hell I can't. You took an oath to obey me when you married me."

Now Maria was getting angry. "And you took an oath to honor me. Can't you respect my judgment on this?"

"Your judgment has been sadly lacking of late."

Maria shook her head incredulously. "He's my blood brother! I just can't stop --"

"He is not your relation. It's time you put these childish notions aside."

Maria placed her hands on her hips. "Childish? Childish? You're calling me childish?"

"I didn't say that --"

"I'm not so childish when I'm wearing that red nightgown for you in our bed. I don't possibly see how this 'child' can be the mother of your children. Maybe you should be finding yourself a more suitable wife."

"That's nonsense."

"Nonsense, is it? Now you're telling me that you have a ninny for a wife."

"I said no such thing."

"Now you're calling me a liar. This is too much to be borne!"

"You're damned right it is," Robert agreed with clenched teeth.

"I will not do as you say."

"You will, and you will not argue with me. Do you hear?" he commanded with barely suppressed anger.

Maria glared at him. "I am not a child!"

"No, you're my wife. You'd best remember that," he said, stalking out the door.

Maria stomped her foot.


"Oh, Newton!" she declared when she saw him reclining on his bench. She rushed to him. "You need to have that cut looked at! I don't suppose you went to Dr. Cleese, did you? Of course, you didn't," she nodded as she pulled out her handkerchief. She attempted to dab his wound, but he swatted at her hand.

"Go away! Now git!"

She sighed, sitting next to him. "I'm afraid I must go very soon. I wanted to tell you some most distressing news. Now brace yourself, Newton. I'm afraid that Robert has declared that I should never see you again. Oh, Newton!" she exclaimed, wringing her handkerchief. "I simply cannot do as he says! You need someone to look after you. You are continually in a state of want. I try my best to help you, but I'm afraid of what will happen if I'm not allowed near you to help."

"I'll live, I suspect," he said wryly.

"Well, just look at you. You have a cut on your forehead and a bruise on your cheek. Your hands are all torn up, and -- Newton, have you seen about that sniffle? My goodness, you are falling apart! We have to get you to Dr. Cleese --"

"It ain't the end of the world. Now why don't Shelby want you around?"

She sighed. "He thinks you're too dangerous. He doesn't want me hurt. Now that's just plain silly. And then he had the nerve to call me names. Do you know what he called me? He called me a --"

"He's right."

She stomped her foot. "You don't even know what he called me!"

"I am dangerous, Maria. You'd best stay away." His eyes were focused on the ground. "You could get hurt."

"That's silly, Newton. You're no more dangerous than I am. I handed you the teapot, remember?"

"You're a real desperado," he commented wryly. He reached into his jacket and handed her some money. "I'd say half of this is yours."

Maria was mortified. She had no need of his money. He needed it much more than she did. Besides, what would her aunt Elinor think if she knew that her niece had undertaken the un-ladylike profession of bounty hunting? "Oh, no! Miss Horn can remain the only female bounty hunter that I know of. No, you keep it."

His hand was still outstretched with the money. He gestured for her to take it.

Maria knew the best way to get him to keep his bounty. She smiled. "If I take it, Newton, then we're partners. You'll have to teach me to ride a horse and shoot and kick and hit. I don't want to be a burden to you, you know. It will be so much fun. We'll ride from one end of the territory to the other. Bad men will bow to our noble crusade of justice and truth. We will defend liberty and the --"

He stuffed the money in his jacket, looking off aloofly.

She laughed at him. "You don't want to be partners, Newton?"

"Not with you jawing at me all day."

"You love our discourses. You know you do."

He snorted.

"I hope you won't be too grieved at our parting. It will be brief. Robert just needs to come to his senses. He's a bit sensitive when it comes to my welfare, you see, and I truly love him for it, yet right now he's in a tyrannical mood. If he thinks that I am going to stay away from you, then he has another thing coming. It's not fair that he thinks he can order --"

"Just git, will you?"

"Don't you want to hear what a tyrant Robert is?"

"No."

"He's truly being beastly."

"No matter to me."

"It concerns you most of all."

"Then go ahead and git and do what he says." He reclined on his bench. "I'm busy."

Maria knew that she should leave. What if Robert should catch her? "Newton, see to those cuts. Drink plenty of tea."

"Git!"

"Don't be grieved upon our parting. It will be over soon."

"I won't."

She waved her handkerchief at him. "Goodbye! Goodbye!"

He shrugged her off.

She turned sadly away from him. She knew that she would worry about him.

She stopped in her tracks. Robert was staring at them from across the street. He did not look amused.


"How in the hell am I supposed to protect you if you won't listen to a damned thing I say?" he thundered when they reached their apartment.

Maria knew that Robert would not be soothed. "I'm fine! Nothing happened!"

"Call is going to get you killed one day. I won't have it! Not while it is within my power."

Maria took a deep breath as Robert paced about the room.

"Robert, you once told Uncle Josiah that you did not wish to control me. Why are you doing this now?"

He turned to face her. "Yes, I did tell him that, but look at what has happened to you since. You attacked Thompson in the street, you climbed upon the roof and got shot at, and now you engaged yourself in a public brawl. I could have prevented all of that if I had only been more firm. Maria, something has to be done. You're going to get killed."

Maria never realized that her behavior was this bad. "Then it is me, Robert," she whispered. "Not Newton. All of this is my doing."

He sighed. "I just want to keep you safe."

Robert had been right all along, Maria thought. She was a child. "I'll be a better wife for you, I promise," she said, her lip quivering. "I want to be someone that you can be proud of. I don't ever wish to embarrass you or dishonor you. I love you. Surely you know that."

He held her, kissing the top of her head. "I love you, too. And you don't embarrass me, either. I don't wish to control you, honey. I want to protect you. I'm your husband. That's what I'm supposed to do."

She sniffed and wiped her eyes. "I said 'goodbye' to Newton today. I suppose I will give him up only until I can be a better influence for him. I will do it for you, Robert."

He cursed under his breath. "Honey, you're missing my point. Call is a killer. You'd do best to stay away from him all together."

"He is not! He needs me," Maria pleaded.

"Call doesn't need anyone. I've seen the two of you. He never looks at you. He never smiles at you. He always has a scowl on his face. He has no regard for you whatsoever."

Maria was disturbed at what Robert was suggesting. "He loves me. He has a difficult time showing it, that's all."

"Really," Robert replied wryly. "So what do you and Call find to talk about?"

Maria hesitated. "I do most of the talking."

"What does he say?"

She bit her lip. "Not much. 'Go away' mostly."

"My God," Robert said under his breath. "He treats you that way? I can't believe it."

"He highly regards me. He has a difficult time showing it."

"He doesn't want you around, Maria, and you keep coming back for more."

She blinked several times, stunned. She shook her head. "No." She backed away from her husband. "No, that's not true. He loves me!" She wiped the hot tears from her eyes. "He loves me!"


Her husband looked at her with pity, and she hated him for it.

"Honey --" he called out to her, but she was already out of the door.


Maria observed him from behind a corner.

The bounty hunter did not appear affected at all by their parting. He said that he would not grieve, and he did not.

She felt an ache in her heart. Perhaps they were not brother and sister like she had always thought they were. Perhaps she had been only one to make the bond.

He felt nothing.

What was he to her now? Not Newton. Mr. Call? All she knew was that things would not continue as they had.

He was a good man. At least she knew that. He just did not feel for her as she felt for him.

He was not her brother.


There was nothing left to do but to clean. It kept her mind from drifting to thoughts of him. She decided to clean her uncle's house. She did not want to see Robert right now.

Her uncle looked at her a bit oddly, but he allowed her to clean. It had been awhile since the house was cleaned correctly. Maria suspected that the last proper cleaning was before she moved out.

She dusted Hannah's portrait and set it down delicately.

"Uncle Josiah, were Austin and Newton, er, Mr. Call like brothers?"

"They still are, but they've drifted apart."

"But they are brothers in spirit, right?"

Josiah smiled. "Yes, very much so, although I don't think they want to see that. They need each other."

Maria began polishing the silver. "I had three brothers," she said softly. "I miss them, although it's been about twenty years. I want them back."

Josiah picked up Hannah's portrait and traced her smile. He set down the frame. "They're gone now. You have family here."

Maria smiled and hugged him. He patted her on the back and pulled away from her.

"Now that you're here," he said, grinning sheepishly.

"Yes?"

"It's getting to be dinner. Do you think you could --"

"I can make you dinner, Uncle Josiah."

"No. Do you think I could take you to the Dove?"

She smiled. "I'll have to get cleaned up first."

"You left some of your dresses in your room," he reminded her.

She smiled and nodded.

She allowed her uncle to take her to dinner.


She averted her eyes when she saw Robert enter the hotel. She did not inform him of her whereabouts, nor did she feel the need to. He knew that she was somewhere in Curtis Wells. It was not that big of a town.

Unfortunately, Josiah summoned Robert to their table. Maria did not say anything to her husband. She studied the contents of her tea cup. It was most fascinating.

"Josiah," Robert said. "Honey."

Maria did not look up at him.

"Sit down, Robert. Maria and I were just going to have dessert. Have you had dinner?"

Maria knew that he had not. He was probably waiting for her to make it for him.

"No, I was trying to find Maria --"

Maria knew it. She looked off aloofly.

"I wanted to ask her out to dinner myself."

Her resolve weakened, but she would not have it. She lifted up her chin defiantly.

"The wallpaper pattern is lovely, isn't it, Uncle Josiah?"

Josiah cleared his throat. "Well, yes, I suppose. So, Robert, tell me what you think of Mosby and his taxes. What does he want to do? Drive everyone out of town?"

"He's doing it for the town's own good," Robert replied tersely.

It sounded a little too rehearsed to Maria. It was if he had said it before.

"Honey, I was looking for you today."

"She was cleaning my house. It was sweet of her," Josiah explained.

Maria clasped her uncle's hand. "Oh, Uncle Josiah. I'm so glad that you don't leave your trousers on the floor. It's so unlike some people I know." Maria dared a quick glare at Robert, and looked away before he had a chance to react.

"Austin has a bad habit of that," Josiah said, nodding. "Sarah tried to cure him of it when he was a little boy, but he never grew out of it."

Maria did not say anything.

"Honey, are you done with your pie? I'll take you home."

She had not planned on eating the last few bites, but she cut up what was left of it into tiny pieces. She proceeded to eat them slowly.

"I'd better order some coffee," Robert said wryly. "With my dinner."

Maria tried to make her pie last as Robert dined and Josiah drank coffee. Robert and Josiah discussed politics. Maria did not say a single word.

She was desperately looking for a crumb on her plate when Robert announced that he was finished. Josiah declared that he was retiring for evening. Maria looked to him imploringly, but to no avail. Josiah left.

"Are you finished?" Robert inquired. He placed his napkin on the table and waited for her to answer.

Maria gave herself credit for gracefully placing her fork on the table rather than stabbing his hand with it. She nodded at him coolly.

She allowed him to assist her out of her chair. He offered her his arm, which she accepted with dignity. She stared straight ahead.

When they got to the boardwalk, Robert pulled her aside. "Honey, stop this childishness. Talk to me. What's bothering you?"

Maria contained her fury quite nicely. She replied calmly, "Nothing is bothering me. I can't help it if I have nothing to say."

"Nonsense. I know when something's bothering you."

"I'm tired, if you must know. Please take me home."

He frowned at her, but he did as she requested.

Robert made several attempts to converse with her that evening. Maria coolly replied to all his endeavors, and she excused herself from his company on the pretense of reading a book.

He went to bed without her.

She did not want to go to bed. Lying there, all she would do was think and feel, which she had been trying to avoid all day. She felt a deep ache in her heart. She did not know how she was to fill it.

In the early morning hours, Maria had the courage to go to sleep. She noticed that Robert had draped his trousers on the chair instead of allowing them to fall on the floor.

He was asleep. His hand rested on her side of the bed. She gently moved his hand and cautiously slipped into bed. He sniffed, but he did not awake.

She wanted to shake him. Did he not know that she was hurting? She rolled over on her side and sobbed into her pillow. She wanted him to touch her, but he did not. She knew that he could not possibly be asleep now, but he made no effort to comfort her. She sniffed and tried to keep her tears as silent as possible.


She hoped that Miss Taylor was doing well. In the last few days, Maria had not been. Although she was not as upset with Robert as she had been, they treated each other with cautious reserve. As for the bounty hunter, he did not even seem to feel her absence. It made her heartsick. She longed to ask her husband for comfort, but she did not know how.

Perhaps her new dress was finished. Miss Taylor had to let the hem down. It was to be a nice rose color, and it would match the bonnet that Robert had given her the previous month. In fact, Robert had given her many bonnets over the last several days.

Maria opened the door to find Robert and Mr. Mosby already there. Mr. Pratt was examining a mannequin as Robert and Mr. Mosby talked with Mr. Taylor. Robert did not appear too happy with the conversation. What startled Maria the most was the expression on Mr. Mosby's face. He wore a wide smile, but it lacked warmth. It was predatory. It made Mr. Taylor cower. Maria did not see Miss Taylor in the room.

"The taxes, Mr. Taylor," Mr. Mosby said calmly. "You do want to be a good citizen, don't you?"

"I said I would have it at the end of month. Please, Mr. Mosby, I'm begging."

Mr. Pratt began twisting the arm of the mannequin. Robert disapproved, but he did not say anything. Mr. Taylor began to sweat.

Mr. Mosby assumed a patient look. "I'm a reasonable man. You have until the end of the week, Mr. Taylor. You've been late on your taxes before. This sort of thing can no longer be tolerated. Is that understood?"

Mr. Pratt twisted the arm off the mannequin and let it crash to the floor.

Mr. Taylor started, but the dangerous look in Mr. Mosby's eyes ended any argument. Robert appeared disgusted.

The men turned to leave and noticed Maria standing there. Her eyes narrowed at them.

Mr. Mosby tipped his hat. "Mrs. Shelby." He nodded to Mr. Pratt and Robert. "Let's go."

Mr. Pratt followed him out of the store. Robert stayed behind. "Maria --"

She held up her hand to silence him. She helped Mr. Taylor reattach the arm of the mannequin.

"Where is Miss Taylor?" Maria demanded. She and Dr. Cleese had already given the girl the money for the taxes. She wondered why the matter had not been settled.

Mr. Taylor stiffened. He went behind his counter and opened a small safe. He retrieved some cash and set it before her.

"Mrs. Shelby, I can't accept the money you and Dr. Cleese have given me. Take your money back. I've never accepted a cent of charity in my whole life, even during the winter of '66 when we nearly starved, and I'm not about to start."

Robert's eyes narrowed at her. Maria ignored him.

"I gave the money to Miss Taylor. Please let her use the money to help you."

"No, thank you, Mrs. Shelby," Mr. Taylor said firmly. "We'll get along just fine."

"But --"

"We'll be all right. We can start a new life elsewhere if we have to."

Men and their pride, Maria thought. "But, Mr. Taylor, if you'd just listen--"

"Honey," Robert interrupted. "Aren't you needing some new dresses?" He gave her a meaningful glance.

Her eyes narrowed at him, and then she understood. "Yes," Maria said, trying to hide her smile. "Yes, I do. In fact, I have reason to suspect that I'll be invited to a wedding soon. I think I'll need a new frock --"

"And a new bonnet," Robert added wryly.

She nodded at him. "Yes, of course, a new bonnet. And my husband here, he'll need something to wear, too."

Robert began to bristle. He did not like getting fitted for clothes. "No, no, that's not necessary. But I think you should make something extra for my wife, though. Something preferably in pink. It is her favorite color."

Mr. Taylor brightened. "I have a new shipment of some velvet. It would make a nice cape."

"Yes, that's just the thing," Robert said. "We'll be married five months here in the next few weeks. That will make a nice gift."

Maria could not help but smile at him. "You remembered."

"Of course." Robert pushed the cash back towards Mr. Taylor. "I believe this will be a considerable down payment."

Maria felt like throwing herself upon her husband, but she restrained herself. He turned to leave the store. She was about to follow him when Mr. Taylor stopped her.

"Mrs. Shelby! Don't forget your new dress. Hopefully, we have it the right length this time."

Robert stood in the doorway for a moment. He had a look of longing on his face. Maria reached out to him just as he shut the door.

She knew that he had not seen her.


She deserved this misery, Maria decided as she clutched the basin for support. She and Robert were still ill-at-ease with each other, Newton still did not notice her absence, and now she was coming down with the stomach flu. Life had decidedly taken a turn for the worse.

Maria heard Robert enter their apartment. She quickly wiped her mouth and pinched her cheeks. Then she braced herself. She had moved too quickly.

She threw a towel over the basin as Robert entered the room.

"Honey, have you seen my -- Are you all right?"

Maria nodded bravely.

He took a step toward her, but she stepped back.

He grimaced, as if wounded. "How long are you going to punish me?"

"I - I'm not feeling well," she stammered. "I don't want you to get sick, too."

He scrutinized her for a minute. "You lie down and rest. Do you want me to get the doctor?"

She shook her head, but that was the wrong thing to do. She felt hot and dizzy.

Robert guided her to the bed. He gave her a book and covered her with a blanket.

His lips hovered briefly above her forehead, but he straightened and left the room.

Maria wondered if he did not want to risk getting sick or whether he felt that he could not kiss her.

She rolled over and held her tummy. She wished that Robert would hold her.


Maria was stiff the next morning. She had not moved all night for fear of breathing on her husband. It was a good thing, too. She still felt sick, although not as bad as the previous day.

Robert had not yet awakened.

She splashed some water onto her face. The cold water revived her somewhat, and the coolness felt heavenly on her neck. As she was dabbing herself with a cloth, she squinted at the calendar on the mirror. Where did the month go? My, how time did fly.

She decided to go back to bed. She took a few steps to the bed and stopped. She turned back to the calendar. She had to be sure. It was nearly the end of the month.


She rubbed her tummy. It was all starting to make sense.

Joyously, she climbed onto the bed and touched Robert on the arm.

"Robert?"

He snorted.

"Robert? Wake up."

"Hmm?"

His eyes were still closed.

She kissed him on the cheek. His eyes opened. She smiled at him.

"You're talking to me now?" Robert said.

"Hush, I need to tell you something."

He yawned as he waited patiently.

"I'm late," she said.

He rubbed his eyes and stretched. "Is it that time of the month again?"

Maria grinned at him. He understood without her having to tell him. "Oh, Robert! Isn't it exciting?" she exclaimed, clasping him by the hand. "We've waited for so long!"

He threw his arms over his eyes and sank back down into the bed. "I thought the circuit preacher was just here. Really, honey, you go to church without me. If I'm going to sleep, I might as well stay in bed where I'm comfortable." He pulled the covers to his chin. "You know I'm not fond of church, anyway."

Maria giggled. "Silly, I don't think you understand, although we certainly have been blessed. Open your eyes and look at me."

He looked upon her patiently.

She gazed into his hazel eyes and realized how much she loved him. She longed to reach out out brush a stray curl that had fallen on his forehead, but she knew that she would be lost.

She blushed. "I'm late."

He blinked at her, not understanding.

She sighed impatiently at him. "We need to get some coffee inside of you, sleepyhead. Here," she said, grabbing his hand and placing it on her belly. She caressed his hand and her belly. "I'm late." She gazed into his eyes, hoping he would understand.

His eyes narrowed at her, and then an expression of heartfelt joy washed over his face. He grinned and pulled her to him. He rolled on top of her, lavishing her with kisses. She giggled.

"Are you sure?"

"I was supposed to start almost two weeks ago. I've never been this late before."

He grinned at her and began kissing her again. "My beautiful wife," he mumbled between smooches.

"Oh, Robert," she giggled.

"You really are cute, you know that?" he said, examining thoroughly with his eyes.

She blushed under his gaze. "I love you, Robert."

"I love you."


Maria frowned at him. He was asleep on his bench. She no longer felt free to wake him, although she certainly had good news to impart.

She stood in front of him, wondering what she should do. She wished that she was still blissfully ignorant of his feelings for her. She always assumed that the bounty hunter regarded her as a sister. She certainly felt like his sister. She loved him as a brother. Why was he so stingy with his feelings?

At this rate, her children would never know the special man that Newt Call was. She grieved at their not knowing him.

Why was he so stubborn?

She wiped a tear and sniffed. She decided to leave him alone.

She turned and walked away.

"Something eating you?" she heard him call out to her.

Maria turned to him, composing herself with dignity.

"No, Newton, er, Mr. Call. I just wanted to tell you some good news."

He lifted his hat and scrutinized her. He gave her an odd look. "That so?" he finally said.

"Yes. I thought you may want to know that Robert and I are expecting our first child."

"You don't look too happy about it."

Maria frowned at him. "Of course we are. We are ecstatic."

"Thought you'd be jawing my head off about now, is all."

Indeed, Maria wanted to tell him all her dreams and wishes for her children. "May I sit next to you?"

He gave her an odd look. "Never stopped you before."

She sat, being careful to keep a respectful distance from him. She bit her lip, wondering what was appropriate to say.

His eyes stared at a rock on the boardwalk.

"Did I ever tell you about my brothers?" Maria asked.

"No," he replied.

Maria sighed, but she did not speak. They sat in silence.

"Why? Something eating you?"

"I had three of them, you know. Brothers, I mean."

He nodded.

"My two elder brothers died in the War. My younger brother died with my parents in a fire. Jeremy would have turned twenty this year, had he have lived."

"Real shame," he said awkwardly.

"It would have been nice to hear my children say, 'Uncle Jeremy,' don't you think?"

He frowned at her.

"'Uncle Newton' has a nice sound to it, I think."

He did not comment.

She sighed. It was not meant to be. "I suppose I should be going." She stood up. "Goodbye, Newton, er, Mr. Call."

"Maria --" he stopped her.

She turned to face him. "Don't you want nieces and nephews?"

He shifted uncomfortably on his bench.

Maria bit her lip to try to hold back her tears. "Well, goodbye."

"It would be all right, I guess," he finally answered her.

It was the only declaration of his true feelings that he was ever going to make. She had not realized that she had been holding her breath. "Do you mean that?"

His eyes remained fixed on spot on the boardwalk. "I suppose. Now git."

"Oh, Newton! Thank you! Thank you!" She sat down next to him and planted a kiss on his cheek. He wiped it off. She started to sooth his hair, but he slapped her hands.


"You ain't my mother. Go knit something or do what pregnant ladies do, and leave me be."

"Oh!" Maria exclaimed. "You are so right! I need to be knitting some hats and socks and crocheting little pinafores and dresses. She will be so cute!"

"What if it's a boy?"

"Well, I'll make the appropriate clothes. You will be a good influence for him, won't you, Newton? He needs an uncle he can look up to."

"Name's 'Call'," he said with clenched teeth.

"Of course it is. That's your surname, or surly name, knowing you." She laughed at her own joke.

He ignored her. "He can call me 'Call.'" Then he threw up his hands in exasperation. "What are we talking about this for? The kid ain't even been born yet!"


"Don't be silly, Newton. You don't call anyone solely by their last name. That is highly disrespectful. The use of the first name is permissible when there are the bonds of affection between both parties. Like between you and me, Newton."

"Name's not 'Newton.'"

"Of course, it is. That's your proper name. What do you want my children to call you? 'Uncle Rufus?' You're not a chicken, Newton, although Rufus is a sweet chicken."

He had a look of supreme irritation on his face. He took a deep breath, and exhaled through gritted teeth. "For the last time, Maria, my name is 'Newt Call.' Not 'Newton,' but 'Newt Call.' Now tell me. What is my name?"

"Don't be silly, Newton. You know what it is."

"You're starting to irritate me."

She laughed at him.

"Bad enough you calling me that. Don't want a bunch of little ankle-biters around here yelling 'Newton.'" He held up his hands, signaling it was his last word on the subject. "Go knit or do something and leave me be."

"Goodbye, Newton."

"'Newt.' Now git."


Robert and Mr. Mosby were regarding them from across the street. Robert's mouth was tightened in a grim line. Maria knew that she had been caught, so she decided to face the music. She walked across the street and met them.

"Robert, dearest. Mr. Mosby," she said, smiling sweetly.

Mr. Mosby exhaled a cloud of smoke. "Maria."

Robert did not say anything. Maria knew that he was not pleased.

She wanted to tell him that her blood brother was pleased about their good news, but she was unaware if Mr. Mosby knew about it. Such news might be awkward for him, given his recent loss of Miss Florie. Maria did not want to pain him any further.

"I hear congratulations are in order," Mr. Mosby said, nodding at her.

Maria looked at Robert in surprise and smiled at Mr. Mosby. "Thank you, Mr. Mosby. We're having a girl."


Mr. Mosby appeared slightly bemused. "Oh, really?"

"Yes, and she'll call you 'Uncle Clay.'"

He took her hand and kissed it. "Well, I hope she'll be as pretty as her mother."

She wanted to tell him that her daughter was going to marry his son, but she bit back her words. They would discuss that later.

Robert still looked upset.

Maria frowned at him. She addressed Mr. Mosby, "I know that my dearest Robert is happy about it, although you can't tell by the look on his face. Would you please remind him that I'm in delicate condition and cannot be reprimanded?"

Robert glowered at her, but she smiled sweetly, took his arm, and batted her eyes at him. Robert's expression softened. "Heaven help me, Clay, if I have another one just like her."

Mr. Mosby seemed stricken with melancholy. He threw his cigar on the ground and cleared his throat. "I'll leave the two of you alone now."

Robert and Maria watched him walked away. His arm tightened around her waist, and she leaned against him.

"I wish he could be as happy as we are," Maria sighed.

He patted her on her seat and pulled away from her. He tried to appear stern, but he could not hide the twinkle in his eyes. "Now about Call . . . ."

December 2004

barbed wire

Return to Darcie's LD Fan-Fiction Page

Return to Darcie's Lonesome Dove Page