Darcie's Fan-Fiction

Episode 26: In Name Only

barbed wire

August 1882

"How is he?" Maria asked when Robert sat down on edge of their bed. It was nearly two in the morning. She had been waiting for Robert. Maria could not sleep when he was not there.

Robert sighed. He looked too tired to remove his clothing. He slipped off his suspenders. Maria helped him remove his shirt and trousers. They slipped under the covers and his hand curled around her waist.

"Is he any better?" Maria asked.

Robert did not reply. He held her closer.

Maria frowned. Mr. Mosby had been in a state for weeks. There was absolutely no word about the baby. Miss Florie, Miss Selena, and little Lawrence Robert had been missing from Curtis Wells for months. All that was recovered was a broken baby rattle caked with dried blood. All three were presumed dead.

Maria felt sorry for Mr. Mosby. During the times that he could be seen on his balcony, she could see a mixture of guilt, grief, and anger on his face. Memories seemed to torment him. He looked like a man that had been stricken.

Mr. Mosby confined himself to the Ambrosia Club now, only allowing Robert to see him. The most important of business matters were reported to Robert, who tried to pass them onto Mr. Mosby. Whether Mr. Mosby heard him or not, that remained to be seen.

She felt Robert sigh against her. She had watched her husband worry for his friend for months now. She had seen his anger when he came home bruised and torn. She had seen his frustration of being completely unable to help his friend. How could he help a man that did not want to be comforted?

Maria saw the fatigue in Robert's eyes each time she gazed into them. She wanted to help him, but she did not know how. She pulled his arms closer about her waist.

She felt his gentle snore against her neck.


His hand was still curled around her waist when she woke up the following morning. He must have been very tired. Usually, he was up before she was.

She tried not to disturb him. He needed his rest.

Finally, he stirred. He kissed her behind her ear. "How much longer?" he whispered.

She blushed. "A few more days."

He patted her on her seat and sat on the edge of the bed. He yawned and stretched.

Maria regarded him. He did not seem too upset that she had not conceived.

Still, it was most embarrassing to reveal it to Robert. She knew that he had wanted a family. She wished that she could have had good news to share with him in this most stressful time. She hoped that he was not too disappointed with her.

She grimaced. She tried to hide her pain, but Robert saw her. He rubbed her between her navel and her pelvis.

She moaned in relief. "Where did you learn that?"

He smiled at her. "Never you mind."

"Oh, Robert. You really don't have to do this. I've lived with it all these years. I'll be fine."

"It's all right. It's good to feel useful."

He patted her on the tummy, and he reached for his trousers.

"Is he any better?" Maria asked.

He did not reply. His eyes were to the ground as he buttoned his shirt.

"You will bring him some of our leftover stew, won't you?"

He turned towards her. He smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

She heard him leave.

She hoped that he would have something to eat, too.


It was so nice to smell the summer grass and wild flowers. It had been about a month and a half since Maria had been sprayed by a skunk, and finally, the scent was lifting. To take deep, clean breaths of air was the most refreshing thing Maria had ever known.

She picked a bouquet of what was left of the summer flowers. She thought she would give it to Robert so that he could place it in Mr. Mosby's room. She hoped that it might draw him out into the fresh air. He had been confined to his rooms for far too long.

While Mr. Mosby suffered in his torment, Josiah assumed more of his mayoral responsibility of the town. Josiah thought it was his duty to recruit a new town sheriff, much to Austin's dismay. Maria did not think it was a good idea to hire a sheriff without Mr. Mosby's knowledge. If Mr. Mosby ever recovered from his grief, then he would not be very pleased about the situation.

Maria sniffed in the summer flowers. A brisk and violent summer shower just moments before had brought out their scent and color. Maria could already feel the heat drying her blouse and skirt. It was going to be a lovely day.

Maria kneeled to place the flowers in her basket when she saw something dark in the grass. It was several yards away from her, and it was not moving. With a sigh of relief, Maria knew it was not a skunk. Whatever it was, it was too large to be that. Maria wondered if she ought to leave it well enough alone when it began to moan. Maria realized that it was not an animal. It was a woman.

She ran to her. The woman lay prone. Her clothes were torn and wet, and she was badly beaten. By the looks of her, the woman had crawled for a long distance. When Maria gently touched her shoulder, the woman yelped in pain.

"Sssh," Maria soothed the woman. "You're all right now. Curtis Wells is not far away. We have an excellent doctor. He'll help to heal your wounds."

"No, no," the woman moaned. She muttered something that Maria could not understand.

With Maria's help, the woman turned on her side. Her mouth was swollen with bruises and caked with dried blood. Her eyes were blackened. Maria gasped when she realized who it was.

"The baby, the baby, the baby," the battered woman whimpered.

Maria tried to contain her panic. "Is the baby here, Miss Selena? Where's the baby? Where's Miss Florie?"

The woman continued to whimper and cry. Maria stood up and scanned the field. Nothing. She ran around in the grass, searching for anyone that might be hidden there.

There was no one.

She could no longer hear the cries of the battered woman. Maria ran back to her. The poor thing had passed out.

When Maria tried to place Miss Selena's arm around her shoulder, Maria realized with horror that the woman's arm was out of its socket. It took a couple of deep breaths to refrain from being sick.

Maria knew that she had to go back into town for help. She could not move the battered woman without hurting her even more.

As she was running through the field, she could hear the trample of horses. She looked behind her to see two rough men on horseback. They did not appear to have seen Miss Selena, but they did spot her. They looked at each other, laughed maliciously, and spurred their horses. Maria ran for her life, but she was not fast enough. The two men caught up with her.

"Hey, Harris! Look what we have here," the larger of the men snickered as he wheeled his horse around her.

"What do you want?" Maria demanded with all the bravado she could summon.

"It ain't her, Brady," Harris said, ignoring her. "But she's kind of pretty."

Maria tried to dart between the two horses, but Brady stopped her.

"She'll do," he said. "The other was worn out anyway."

Maria feinted and was able to briefly get away when Brady reached down and grabbed her by the torso, throwing her onto his horse. She screamed as he laughed.

"Put her down," a regal voice commanded. Her captor wheeled around to reveal another man on horseback. This man was leaner and older. He carried himself with authority and refinement, yet his eyes were the hardest of the three. His eyes pierced like cold, blue steel.

"I said put her down," Steel Eyes repeated, obviously annoyed. He waited on his horse patiently.

Brady dropped her. The rougher men backed their horses away. Maria got to her feet. She did not know whether to run or cry.

"We are trying to find one of our women," Steel Eyes addressed her. "She's a slight and pretty brunette. I'm afraid she has had a little mishap and needs medical attention. Have you seen her?"

Maria regarded all three of them and swallowed hard. She shook her head.

Steel Eyes' mouth tightened as his horse came towards her. Maria backed away. Then he smiled at her, but it lacked warmth. "Very well."

Maria realized that he knew that she was lying. He knew where Miss Selena was all along.

"Harris, I want you back at camp now. Brady, get the woman, and remember this time to take better care of your possessions."

Maria cowered as the big man came towards her, but then his horse veered off toward Miss Selena's unconscious body. He tossed her up as if she was a sack of grain. The other man followed them back to camp.

Steel Eyes remained seated, looking down upon Maria from his horse. He continued to smile. Maria feared that he might trample her.

"Do you live in that town?" he asked, nodding behind her.

"Yes," Maria managed to say. "Many people will miss me if I'm gone."

"Do you know Clay Mosby?" His voice chilled her like ice.

Maria wondered if she ought to answer his question.

"Give him this message. 'He's my son now.' He'll know what that means."

His smile unnerved her.

"Who are you?" she whispered.

"Oh, didn't I say?"

She shook her head.

His smile broadened. "I'm Willis Logan."

He laughed and wheeled his horse around.

Maria watched in confusion as his horse sped away.


She ran immediately to the Ambrosia Club, yelling for Mr. Mosby as she bounded up his staircase.

Robert opened the door to his rooms, an alarmed look on his face. "Maria, what is it?"

She could barely see Mr. Mosby in the dark room. He was sitting at his desk.

Maria quickly squeezed her husband's hand and ran to Mr. Mosby's side. "Mr. Mosby, it's the baby," she said breathlessly. "I have news about the baby."

He did not appear to have heard her.

She gently took his hand. "Mr. Mosby . . . Clay . . . I know that this is a shock, but I think that they are alive. We have to hurry."

He stared blankly at her.

She looked to Robert. She did not know what to do. "You have to make him understand that I've seen Miss Selena. She was badly beaten. She was mumbling something about the baby before some men took her away. I'm frightened for them."

Mr. Mosby blinked. "The baby?"

Maria squeezed his hand. "Yes. That's not all. A man named Willis Logan told me that he had your son. His men took Miss Selena away. He scared me."

Confusion still clouded his eyes. "What?"

"Willis Logan. He said that your son was his now. He has your baby, Mr. Mosby."

He blinked for a few moments, and then he whispered, "My God." He stood up and began to pace. He ran his fingers through his hair. "My God . . . my God," he muttered to himself.

Maria and Robert exchanged confused glances.

"Where? Where did you see them?" Mr. Mosby demanded. Then he wheeled about on her, grabbing her by the shoulders. "Florie? What about Florie?"

"I - I don't know anything about Miss Florie," she stammered as his eyes narrowed at her. He was beginning to frighten her.

Finally, he let her go. He paced like a wild animal. He had a look of fury in his eyes. Maria looked to Robert. He shook his head. "Miss Selena did not say anything about her," she ventured. "Willis Logan didn't, either."

Hard silence was Mr. Mosby's reply.

"Who in the hell is Willis Logan?" Robert demanded,

"A cold-hearted killer, that's who," Mr. Mosby answered, his jaw clenched. "Get some men together. Now. I'll find that son of a bitch if I have to tear up the whole countryside to do it. Now go." He sat Maria down roughly in a chair. He circled about her, and then his hands gripped the arms of her chair. "You are going to tell me everything, do you hear me? I want to know everything you know, starting with where they are."

"Settle down, Clay," Robert said, stepping towards him. "You're not going to interrogate my wife like she's a common criminal. I'm sure she'll tell you everything she knows if you'll give her half a chance."

Mr. Mosby glared at Robert for a moment, and then he released his grip. He straightened himself. "Forgive me," he said to her with clenched teeth. "But I really don't have the luxury of time. I need you to tell me all that you know, Maria."

Maria looked to Robert. Robert nodded at her. "It's all right, honey."

She nodded at him, clearing her throat.

"They were heading east from Day Meadows, Mr. Mosby," she explained. "Logan told them to go back to camp, and that was the direction they were headed. East. They beat up Miss Selena very badly. You don't think that he would hurt the baby, do you?"

He let out a controlled breath. "That's what I'm afraid of. He'd do anything to spite me."

He grabbed his hat and leather duster. "Come on, Robert. Let's go."

Mr. Mosby was already gone when Robert kissed Maria on the cheek.


"What do you know about Willis Logan?" Maria asked Austin. She would have consulted her blood brother, but she could not find him.

He scratched his day old beard. "Hmm, so that was why Mosby was so fired up. Came in here looking for men. The bastard didn't even give me a second glance. That figures."

Maria took one look at the cigar hanging from his mouth and the shot glass in his hand and frowned.

She sat down next to him, trying not to touch the filthy table. She did not like the Number 10. "What do you know about Willis Logan?" she repeated.

"A real bad ass," he answered. "A cattle baron from Bozeman. Someone you don't want to mess with. I remember the last time he came to town. I had a hard time controlling his boys. Logan let them do anything damn thing they wanted, and Mosby didn't stop them. Worst of them all was daddy's boy Deke. That little bastard tried to rape Mattie Shaw, and she killed him in self-defense." He poured himself a drink as Maria listened in revulsion. "Daddy Logan wanted us to hand over Mattie for only God knows what, or he would have shot up the entire town. He would have, too, if we hadn't stopped him."

"How did you stop him?"

"There was a trial. It was good and fair, but that wasn't enough for Logan. He sent in a sharpshooter to kill Mattie. Mosby got the drop on him, and Pierce fell off the roof and pierced himself. Ironic isn't, it?" He downed the drink. "I helped hang Pierce upside down on the sidearm. It was a warning for Logan never to come back. Guess he wasn't listening."

Maria stared at him, unable to do anything but blink. Her husband was riding out to meet this . . . this monster.

"Why, would do you know of him?" Austin asked.

Maria did not answer, but she stood up and left the saloon.


She found her blood brother in the livery. He was grooming the Hell Bitch.

"Newton, did you hear about Mr. Mosby's posse?"

"Yep."

"Do you know why he has formed a posse?"

"Heard tell it was something about Willis Logan."

"Austin told me that he is a bad man."

Her blood brother nodded. "You could say that."

"Why aren't you out riding with Mr. Mosby's posse?"

He crinkled his nose. "Don't do nothing for Mosby's sake."

"Oh, Newton. My understanding is that Willis Logan is a very bad man. Mr. Mosby could use your help."

He shrugged. "It's Mosby's affair. Got nothing to do with me."

"But Robert is out there. I'm worried about him."

"That's what he gets for doing Mosby's bidding."

Maria stomped her foot. "But Willis Logan frightens me, Newton."

He scrutinized her. "What do you know of him? Have you met him?"

Maria bit her lip. She drew herself closer to her blood brother. "Listen, Newton. If I tell you something, you must promise me that you will say nothing to anyone about this. Only Mr. Mosby and Robert know what I have seen today."

He nodded, a look of concern clouding his blue eyes. "What are you talking about?"

She explained to him what had happened earlier that afternoon. "Oh, Newton. The man called Brady picked me up like I was nothing. If Logan had not wanted me to relay his message to Mr. Mosby, then I am sure I would be suffering the same fate that Miss Selena is suffering now. Brady is the one that beat her. He and his friend probably took turns. They were the kind of men that would violate her. Oh, Newton. That poor, poor woman."

He did not reply for a moment. He turned towards her, but his eyes did not directly meet hers. "Florie with them?"

Maria shook her head. "They did not mention her. Miss Selena moaned something about the baby, but she did not say anything about Miss Florie."

Her blood brother considered her words. "Which way were they headed?"

"East of Day Meadows. Oh, Newton, I knew that I could count on you. I feel so much better knowing that you are going along. You know best how to handle these situations."

"If I go, I'm going for the women and the baby, not to play nursemaid to your husband."

"But you'll go?"

His eyes focused on the wall. "Never said that."

Maria frowned at him. "I'm sure that if you hurry, then you should be able to catch up with Mr. Mosby's posse."

"Not riding with them. They've already muddied up the trail."

"Then you are going?"

"I might if you stop jawing at me."

"Is there anything I can do to assist you before you leave? How can help to hurry you on your way?"

"You can git out of my way for starters," he said as he led the Hell Bitch past her.

She smiled as she watched him ride out of town.

Then she frowned. She would worry about him, too.


She ran when she saw Robert's chestnut gelding on the outskirts of town. He held an injured woman in his arms. He was very pale.

"Robert!" she shouted. When she reached him at the livery, several men had already assisted him with the woman. She could recognize that it was Miss Selena. Dr. Cleese was already directing them to take her to his office. She was barely breathing.

Robert leaned against his horse.

"Robert!"

He turned to her and gave her a weak smile. He stepped forward. She caught him before he fell. She staggered under his weight.

"Robert --"

"I have to get to Clay's," he informed her.

"You've been shot!" she exclaimed. She could see the blood on his shirt.

"It's nothing," he said, pulling himself upright. He walked a few unsteady steps.

"You're going straight to Dr. Cleese's office."

"It's nothing," he repeated, his face very pale. "I have to get Clay's. He's depending on me."

"You can't help him if you die. Does he know that you are injured?"

"It's nothing. Just a scratch."

She placed his arm over her shoulder. She called for some men to help her, but he violently shook them off.

Her fists balled as he stubbornly insisted on going to the Ambrosia Club. He grew paler with each step.

He leaned on Maria as she helped him. They staggered past Austin, who regarded them with curiosity. Maria glared at him. Her cousin did nothing to help them.

They entered the Ambrosia Club. Robert told everyone to leave, and fortunately, the barkeep helped him usher out customers. Maria frowned at him as he sat at one of the tables. He looked exhausted. Finally, the barkeep left.

Robert went to the piano. When Maria understood that he wanted to move it, she helped him. He was too weak. Sweat dotted his brow.

"Oh dearest, you have to go to the doctor."

"No, no. The safe," he said, falling to his knees.

It was on the floor. Robert had a difficult time focusing as he turned the combination.

"Dearest, please. You have to go to the doctor."

He opened the door. He rifled through some money and papers. He brought some papers to his face, squinting. He was pale and sweating. He sighed, placing them in his pocket. He stood up and winced in pain. Maria helped steady him to a table, and she grabbed a bottle of Mr. Mosby's whiskey from behind the bar.

"Drink this," she said.

He tried to wave her off. "Gotta go. Gotta get to Clay."

"He can wait for a few minutes. You need to rest. Drink this," she insisted.

He gulped it down. Some color returned to his face.

He stood and crashed to the floor, unconscious. Maria screamed and rushed to the street for help.

Austin was nearby, leaning against a building support. It seemed like he had been watching the building the entire time.

"Austin," she begged. "Help me get Robert to the doctor!"

He gave her a wry look, and he nonchalantly straightened. Maria wanted to kill him.

"Hurry!"

He followed her into the Ambrosia Club. Robert had not stirred. He looked deathly pale. She grabbed him by the legs, expecting Austin to pull Robert up by the shoulders. Instead, her cousin surveyed the room.

"Austin! Stop lollygagging!"

He ignored her. "Needed something in the safe, huh?"

"Quit worrying about the safe and help me!" she pleaded. She looked down at her husband. He was very pale. "Oh, Austin," she cried. "He's really bleeding now."

Austin grunted, and he picked up Robert by the shoulders. They took him to Dr. Cleese. The doctor's sleeves were rolled up to his elbows.

"Move him over there," he commanded. He stripped off Robert's shirt and vest. He assessed the wound as Maria gripped onto her cousin's hand. "He's lost a lot of blood, but he'll live. I'll have to extract the bullet, and it will require my full concentration." He nodded over to the other room. "Stay with the woman. There is little I can do to help her but wait."

They did as he commanded. Miss Selena, battered and torn, looked very small in the bed. She was unconscious. Her breathing was labored.

Maria frowned at her as Austin sat down. She paced the floors, wondering what was going on in the next room.

Fear clutched her heart. Her husband could die. Now that she was married, she was beginning to understand the agony that her blood brother had felt when Hannah had died. Although they had been married for only a short time, Maria felt that Robert was of her flesh and she of his. Severing her limb would have seemed more possible than living without him.

She prayed for him and herself.

"Maria, you're wearing a hole in the floor," Austin said quietly.

Maria sat down beside him, clutching his hand. He did not say anything.

Dr. Cleese came out of the room. He wiped his hands on a clean towel. He looked fatigued.

Maria stood up. "Is he all right?" she asked. "Is he alive?"

"Yes," Dr. Cleese said. "He will be fine. I extracted a bullet, and he is resting now. He is out of danger."

Maria sighed in relief. "May I see him?"


"He is asleep. Be careful not to wake him."

She smiled in gratitude, and then she looked back to Austin. He was standing behind her. She hugged him fiercely, and then she went to her husband. He looked so frail and lifeless. His poor chest was bandaged.

She could not hold back her tears as she knelt at his side. She gently took his hand, bringing it to her lips. She thanked God that he was alive.

Austin entered the room and sat in a chair along the back wall. Maria was grateful that he was there.

The room was silent, and soon Maria fell asleep with her cheek on her husband's hand.

She woke when she heard Austin stirring about in the room. He was rifling through Robert's clothes.

"What are you doing?" Maria demanded.

He ignored her. He was looking at the papers that Robert had placed in his pocket shortly before he had passed out.

"What are you doing?" Maria demanded again, hoping that she was not disturbing her husband.

Austin tucked the papers in his pocket.

She tried to take them from him, but he grabbed her wrists and shoved her away. "It's none of your business."

"None of my business?" she repeated. "You're stealing something off of my husband's person, and it's none of my business?" She stood in the doorway, fists on her hips. "You're going to tell me what is in those papers, Austin Peale. My husband thought that they were important enough to risk his life over, and you are not getting out of here until you give them back."

Austin shook his head. "They don't really concern him, either."

Maria's eyes narrowed. "And do they have your name on them?"

Austin smirked. "Maybe."

"They do not. Now hand them over, Austin."

He snickered.

"Robert said that Mr. Mosby needed those papers immediately. I don't see how that can concern you."

"It does if I take them to him."

Now Maria was thoroughly confused. "What are they, Austin?"

He did not answer for a moment. "Adoption papers."

She stared at him. Just then, Robert began to stir.

"Stay here," Maria commanded her cousin. She had to see to her husband.

As she stepped towards the injured man, Austin ducked out of the room. She lunged for him, but it was too late. He was gone, and he took Mr. Mosby's papers with him.

Her husband moaned.

Maria bit her lip, wondering who to attend to. Her husband moaned again. She rushed to his side. She took his hand.

"My dearest, you must get some rest."

"Clay," he said.

She kissed his hand. "It's all right."

"He needs the papers." He tried to sit up, but Maria eased him back down to the bed.

"It's all right," she reassured him. "They are being taken care of."

"They are?"

"Mr. Mosby will get them. They are being delivered to him right now. It's all right."


It seemed to settle Robert down. He drifted back to sleep.

Maria wondered if she had just lied to her husband.


Miss Rae Ann came to visit Miss Selena. It was an awkward conversation since Miss Rae Ann could not talk and Miss Selena was too weak to focus on Miss Rae Ann's written words. Maria felt sorry for them, and she read Miss Rae Ann's words to the injured woman. Robert had not yet awakened.

Miss Rae Ann began directly enough: "Why did you leave?"

Tears formed in Miss Selena's blackened eyes. She labored to speak. "Had to get away from here. They were going to take the baby away."

Miss Rae Ann wrote something, and Maria spoke it for her: "Mosby wouldn't hurt the baby."

Miss Selena nodded her head as tears flowed from her eyes. "I know. Wish we hadn't left."

Miss Rae Ann jabbed at Maria. She read from the tablet: "What happened after that? Where did you go?"

Miss Selena shut her eyes, as if to forget. "We left. Was on our own for awhile. Then he found us -- Willis Logan. He made Florie marry him. He broke her arm, and he would've broke her other arm if she hadn't."

She sobbed. She looked sick.

Miss Rae Ann and Maria tried to comfort her, but she waved them away.

Her breathing was heavy. "The baby is 'Lawrence Logan' now." Miss Selena tried to collect herself. "I tried to protect the baby. I tried so hard. But his men ... his men ... they ... they ...."

Miss Selena passed out.

Miss Rae Ann and Maria exchanged looks. The horrible knowledge of what had happened to Miss Selena passed between the two women. They squeezed hands.

Maria heard Robert stir in the next room.

"I have to go," she told the prostitute.

Miss Rae Ann nodded at her.

Maria looked back. Miss Rae Ann held silent watch over the injured woman.

Maria looked at her husband. She was beginning to fathom why those papers were so important to Mr. Mosby.

She frowned.

She knew that Austin had them.


He sat up the moment he found out about it. He moaned.

"Dearest, you've lost a lot of blood."

She tried to ease Robert back down to the bed, but he waved her away.

"And you just let Austin have them?" he asked. He reached for his shirt, but he turned pale.

Maria sighed. "What was I supposed to do? Tackle my own cousin? Have him arrested? You had just undergone surgery and could have died. My place was here with you."

Robert frowned and shook his head. "I have to find him and get those papers to Clay."

"Austin said that he would take them to him."

"And you believe him?"

Maria bit her lip.

"That's what I thought. How does he even know where Clay is anyway? Maybe your cousin is working with Logan. Maybe he was been planning to double-cross Clay all along."

"He is not! Austin is many things, but I don't believe that he would do that. For heaven's sake, a baby is involved. There is a woman in the next room that was nearly beaten to death. Austin would not be involved with something this sinister."

Robert reached for his shirt again. Maria fetched it for him. "I don't think you understand the importance what is going on here," he said, trying to struggle into the sleeves.

"Miss Selena alluded to it. Miss Florie is now Mrs. Willis Logan, making her son Lawrence Logan."

Maria helped him into his sleeves. She winced in sympathy as he grimaced from his wounded shoulder. "Austin said that those were adoption papers. Am I correct in assuming that Mr. Mosby has adopted his own son?"

Robert nodded wearily. "Those papers prove that the adoption took place before Logan forced Florie to marry him. Legally, the baby is Clay's."

Maria frowned. She thought that all of this could have been avoided, but she did not say anything. How many people have had to suffer because Mr. Mosby did not marry Miss Florie in the first place?

"How did you get Miss Selena out of there? Those men were frightening, Robert. It's a wonder that she is alive. It's a wonder that you are alive. Oh, my dearest, don't frighten me like that again."

He squeezed her hand. She brought his hand to her lips, and he smiled at her.

"I have to get going, honey."

"Austin has either delivered those papers to Mr. Mosby, or he has done something else with them. If it is the latter, there is nothing you can do now. We have to trust that Austin will do what he said he would. Usually when he says he will do something, he does it."

"Usually?" he asked wryly. "You know that Austin hates Clay."

Maria sighed. "Austin also wants recognition. Maybe he will surprise us all."

Robert did not look as if he believed her. He struggled to get dressed, and he lost his footing at the door. Maria helped steady him.

"Please, dearest, lie down. You are no good to Mr. Mosby if you should die. I'd be lost if something should happen to you. You mustn't leave me, Robert. You must get well."

"I'm all right," he repeated. He tried to push her away.

They heard commotion from the next room.

"Clear anything dangerous away from her," Dr. Cleese commanded.

Maria and Robert saw a panicked Miss Rae Ann trying to move objects away from Miss Selena. Miss Selena's legs, arms, and body convulsed. Dr. Cleese hovered over her, making sure that Miss Selena was breathing.

She convulsed for a few horrifying minutes. Maria clutched onto Robert's hand. When Miss Selena's body relaxed into sleep, Miss Rae Ann looked as if she was trying to steady herself. Dr. Cleese sighed in relief.

"It's her head injury," he explained. "It can cause these convulsions. She might have these seizures throughout the remainder of her life if the damage to her brain is permanent. But the brain is a remarkable organ. It has the wonderful capacity to heal itself. In due time, she might fully recover." Dr. Cleese looked down at his sleeping patient. He frowned. "Or perhaps not. Only God knows."

He placed a blanket on top of Miss Selena. He charged them all to leave her in peace as he watched over her.

Maria held onto Robert for a moment. They took comfort from each other.

"I have to go, honey," he said gently, pulling away from her.

Maria knew that there was no way that she could stop him.

"Promise me that you will rest when you are tired --"

"Yes, honey."

"Promise me that you won't fight Austin for those papers. You're in no condition --"

"Yes, honey."

"Promise that you will come back to me."

He caressed her cheek. "Always."

She frowned as she watched him leave.

She looked in on Miss Selena. Dr. Cleese tended to her.

Maria wondered how Miss Selena had escaped.

She prayed that everyone made it back to Curtis Wells in safety.


The next morning, Maria sat with Miss Selena. She was asleep. Maria frowned at her poor, battered body. It was not fair. The woman had only wanted to protect the child. She did not deserve this fate.

Maria hoped that the brunette woman had slept peacefully. Maria could not. She could not sleep without her husband next to her. She could not sleep from worry about what was happening to her loved ones. She had nightmares of finding each of them in the coffins at the undertaker's. Her heart squeezed in terror of throwing dirt over their graves.

"I would have died if he hadn't saved me," Miss Selena interrupted her thoughts.

Miss Selena began to cough. Maria brought some water to her lips.

"Was your wedding nice?" the battered woman asked wistfully. "I would have liked a wedding like that. To a man like that."

Maria frowned at her. The woman began to cough again. Maria helped her sip some water.

"He saved me," Miss Selena repeated. "With Mosby, too, and his men. I think they were looking for Florie and the baby." She laughed without humor. She coughed again. "Instead they found me. He was shot while he was saving me. I wish I could have had a man like that."

A coughing spell seized her.

Maria tried to ease her to her bed. "Hush now. You need your rest, Miss Selena."

She seemed to settle down a bit after Maria gave her another drink.

Before Maria left, she heard the battered woman say, "I wish I was you."

Maria did not think Miss Selena meant it for her to hear.


When she heard the noise of galloping horses and shouting men, Maria pulled back the curtains in alarm. It was nearly dawn. She could see Mr. Mosby and his men and a bedraggled woman who appeared to be holding a bundle. Maria's heart raced. It had to be Miss Florie and the baby. They had been running from something. Many of Mr. Mosby's men had been injured, and Maria could see and hear Mr. Mosby shouting out commands to them. Their guns were ready.

Maria's heart sank. Where was Robert? Where were her blood brother and her cousin?

Mr. Mosby directed several of his men to defensive positions within the town as Miss Florie took the baby inside one of the buildings. The men were preparing for something. From the looks on their faces, it appeared to be war.

Maria let out a little scream as she heard someone rush up her steps. The doorknob rattled a few times. She grabbed a dictionary from her bookshelf, poised to hit whoever should rush through the door.

Maria jumped when the pounding on the door started.

"Maria!" she heard Robert shout. "Open the door!"

Maria dropped the book and unlocked the door. Robert rushed in. He looked very rough. Maria threw herself into his arms.

"Honey, there's no time for that now," he grunted, pulling away from her. He took her hands. "Listen to me. I want you to stay down and away from the windows."

He pushed her down to the floor.

"But Robert, what's going on?"

"Hush. Just do what I tell you. Keep your head down."

She saw him rush to the door. "Where are you going?"

"To help Clay."

"No!" she protested, but he was already out of the door.

It was soon after that Maria heard the coming of more horses and men. She was startled by the sound of gunfire, and she screamed when bullets thudded into her wall. Then it sounded as if someone was returning fire from atop of her roof.

It was Robert. It had to be Robert.

He had told her to stay down, but apparently, he felt that he could take unnecessary risks.

She was going to kill him.

If he had told her to get down, then he had to get down as well. She ran out the back door and shimmied up a building support to the roof. Robert was ducked behind a chimney. She crawled up to him, dodging bullets. She was beginning to think that she should have followed Robert's advice and stayed where he had told her to.

When she reached him, he swore and pushed her head down.

"I thought I told you to stay put!"

They both ducked as a bullet ricocheted.

"Do you want me to go back?"

He threw her a disgusted look. He pulled her closer to him. He took a few more shots from his rifle.

Then, the shooting stopped.

Maria could see Willis Logan among his posse of men.

"Clay!" he roared. "I want them out here now! They are both mine! He's my son, Clay!"

Maria did not see Mr. Mosby for a moment. Then she spotted him calmly standing on the boardwalk outside the Ambrosia Club. He lit a cigar, tufts of smoke swirling about his face. He took his own sweet time to reply.

Maria gasped. Mr. Mosby could be shot at any time.

Robert aimed his weapon at Willis Logan.

The town was entirely still.

"You can ride out of here, Willis," Mr. Mosby called out to him. His smile was cold. "This will be your only chance."

"I want my son now." Logan's men cocked their weapons. Maria could feel Robert tense near her.

"No!" she heard a woman scream. Maria was startled to see Miss Florie on Mr. Mosby's balcony. Apparently, Mr. Mosby was, too. Miss Florie held a gun in her hand. She aimed it, but she never had the chance to fire. Logan gunned her down unmercifully.

Mayhem ensued. Maria ducked down as shots were fired from all directions.

Then something odd happened. Above the sounds of gunfire, Maria could feel the thunder of a herd of animals. They sounded as if they were coming towards Curtis Wells.

The few remaining of Logan's men galloped out of town. Willis Logan remained seated. He wheeled his horse around in the center of the street.

"He's my son, Clay!" he roared.

Maria could see Mr. Mosby cradling Miss Florie in his arms. He looked down toward Logan with hatred in his eyes.

"He's mine, you son of bitch," Mr. Mosby answered. He had blood all over his hands and face.

The trampling of hooves became louder.

"It's all over, Logan," Mr. Mosby said. Then he gave him no thought as he looked down at Miss Florie. She appeared to be lifeless in his arms.

Maria clutched onto Robert as she felt the building rattling.

The stampede of cattle was the next thing she saw and felt. Newt Call and Austin were guiding the herd.

Willis Logan had no chance. The stampede was headed straight for him. He tried to wheel his horse around, but it was too late. He was caught in the stampede. Maria saw him go down. The cattle paid no heed as they trampled over the dead bodies in the street. She heard Logan's terrified scream among the cries of the cattle.

Maria buried her head in Robert's chest. He held onto her as the last of the cattle thundered out of town.

Maria would never forget the bloodied remains of the trampled bodies in the street. Logan's was among them.

Maria looked out to see Mr. Mosby cradling Miss Florie in his arms. His face was stricken.

"She's dead," Robert told her. Maria could not believe it. She clutched onto Robert and sobbed.

Mr. Mosby bought Miss Florie the best casket in town. She was buried on a Tuesday. Her remains were placed in the church cemetery just like Mr. Mosby wanted.


After the funeral, Maria sat next to her blood brother on his bench. They silently watched Mr. Mosby walk by. He held his baby in his arms, but his face was devoid of emotion.

Maria briefly squeezed her blood brother's hand.

"Oh, Newton," she sighed. "I don't know what's to become of him."

They watched Mr. Mosby shut the door behind him at the Ambrosia Club.

"Can't rightly say."

Maria sighed. "Poor Miss Florie. How terrified she must have been. To think, Willis Logan was only using her as a bargaining chip. He killed her as if she was nothing to him. It's so sad."

"He killed her because of Mosby," her blood brother said grimly.

Maria nodded. "I think Mr. Mosby knows that, too. I'm so glad that the baby is alive, though. At least Mr. Mosby still has him. Poor little Lawrence Robert. It will difficult for him to grow up without his mother."

Her blood brother did not say anything for a moment. "He'll grow up like me."

Maria knew that his mother was a prostitute. She died when he was a little boy.

"Mr. Mosby appears to have taken his son in," Maria said.

"But will he give him his name?"

Maria knew that Woodrow Call never gave her blood brother his rightful name until he grew up to be a man. "Mr. Mosby adopted the boy."

Her blood brother harrumphed. "We'll see."

"I still don't understand how you and Austin came to be driving cattle through the center of town."

He shrugged. "We were the only ones that could."

"Let me see if I can understand this. You and Austin caused a diversion by rustling Logan's cattle so that Mr. Mosby could steal Miss Florie and the baby away from Logan?"

He nodded.

Maria shook her head. It was still confusing. "While you drove the cattle away, Mr. Mosby and his men took them all here."

He nodded again.

"And Logan and his men followed."

He gave his assent.

"So Mr. Mosby knew that you and Austin were to drive the cattle through town while Logan and his men were in the center of it?"

"Yep."

"So you were working with Mr. Mosby."

He looked off aloofly. "Wouldn't say that."

"So you were working with Austin?"

"Didn't say that, either."

Maria sighed. The man was close to impossible.

"So Austin was working with Mr. Mosby?"

"Can't say. But you should've seen Mosby's face when Austin handed him those papers. Downright entertaining. Austin is a smug bastard. Still don't know what he wanted from Mosby by doing that."

"Perhaps to prove himself?" Maria suggested.

He shrugged. "Don't know. That bastard Mosby didn't show no appreciation for it. Then your husband showed up. He didn't know what to make of Austin, either. All the while, Austin has this smug look on his face."

"But Mr. Mosby allowed Austin to help you drive the cattle, right?"

"Not as if he had a choice, really. Austin and me were the only ones who could do it."

Maria was confused. "I didn't know Austin could drive cattle."

"He did it once. With me. He was different man then." Her blood brother looked down. He did not want to elaborate.

Maria scrutinized him. Her blood brother must have been a different man then, too.

"So you and Austin got along well, then?"

He shrugged, but he did not look at her.

Maria hid her smile. "It's good when you all work together, isn't it?" Then she frowned. "It's just too bad about what happened to Miss Florie."

He looked down to the ground. "She showed lots of boys a good time." Then he looked directly at her. "I heard that you climbed up on the roof when the shooting started. That was a damn fool thing to do."

Maria admitted that it was. "Robert started it. He shouldn't have been up there. I wanted him to get off the roof."

The blood man did not look at her. "You could've been killed."

"He could have been killed."

"That's beside the point --"

"And Robert was injured, nonetheless," Maria continued. "He shouldn't have been climbing in the first place. He could've torn his injured shoulder, and where would he have been? Stuck up there with no help. I had to go to him."

"You should've stayed put," her blood brother said obstinately.

"Yes, and Robert lectured me severely afterward. But I'm fine. I was never in any danger. Not really."

His jaw tightened. He stood up and stalked away from her.

Maria frowned at him. He had that look when he was thinking of Hannah. Did he tell her to stay put before she died?

Then she looked to the Ambrosia Club. Maybe that was what Mr. Mosby had last said to Miss Florie.

October 2004

barbed wire

Return to Darcie's LD Fan-Fiction Page

Return to Darcie's Lonesome Dove Page