Darcie's Fan-Fiction

Episode 23: Threshold

I apologize for the goo. It is the wedding and the wedding NIGHT, you know. As with what happens on the wedding night, ahem, this story might contain some objectionable material. So you are warned . . . and enjoy!

Once again, I must thank Debbie. She allowed me to adapt part of her wedding ceremony for Maria and Robert's ceremony. I also want to thank her for her support over the years. Thanks, sweetie!

I would also like to thank Anita. She, like Floyd, has been the inspiration for many of my stories. Thank you for the lovely plots!

I'm not sure where the quote from the wedding ceremony originates, but the quote later on in the story is from Song of Solomon, 5:16 KJV.

barbed wire

June 1882

Maria grunted under his weight as she caught him. He nearly pulled her down into the street. Thankfully, it was no longer muddy, although Maria truly did not want her skirts dirty. But she did not mind the burden. He was her blood brother, after all.

"Don't need your help. Now git," Newt Call said as he tried to bat her away.

"Don't be silly, Newton. If you would use the crutch that UnBob made you, then you would not have this problem."

He hobbled over to his bench and sat down.

"Go away. Leave me be," he told her.

She ignored him. "It's remarkable you are even walking on that leg. It's only been a few weeks since the Captain had to reset it. You must have an extraordinary constitution, Newton."

He did not look at her, but stared off into the distance.

"Where do you intend to go next, Newton? It only took you a few hours to get to your bench. I could arrange to have Mr. Root tote you around. He's very good at it. Of course, if you'd only use your crutch . . . . "

"Maria," he said, gritting his teeth. "You're starting to irritate me."

She sighed. "Oh, Newton. People won't care if you are using a crutch. You are the most feared man in all of the territory. Using a crutch doesn't make you any less of a man."

"Maria, I'm warning you. Leave. Now."

She shook her head. He was sorely trying her patience. "Very well, Newton. Here is your crutch, should you need it. I'll put it underneath your bench for easy access. No one should see it. Are you satisfied?"

His hand hovered dangerously near his gun.

"You take care to use your crutch next time, Newton, or I will have to make it my duty to be near you at all times. I don't want you falling and hurting yourself. You must be strong and healthy to walk me down the aisle."

"If I hear one more damn word about your wedding, I'm going to use that crutch on you. Now git."

"I do, in fact, have some pressing matters to attend to in that regard. The wedding is only a week away, and there is so much to do. I have to see Mrs. Traughber about the cake and Miss Taylor about some of my garments and Mrs. Hammond about the pump organ and --"

The bounty hunter held up his hands in a gesture of extreme annoyance.

She sighed, shaking her head. She really had to leave, but her blood brother concerned her so. She supposed that he would be all right, but she would have to arrange for someone to look after him. It was just one more thing she had to do in long list of pressing arrangements. She wished that he would not be such a bother.


"What do you mean the circuit preacher isn't coming?" Maria demanded of the hapless telegraph operator. "I've spent months just for this one day. He is supposed to come. He promised me in writing."

She was about to pull out the letter indicating that to the telegraph operator, when he held up his hands, "I just get the wires, lady. Ain't my fault he's not coming."

He ushered her quickly out of the office, leaving her standing alone in the street. She stomped her foot. She felt a twinge of pain. It was her bad leg.

When she saw her beloved step out of the Ambrosia Club with Mr. Mosby, Maria rushed to greet him. She did not care how she must have looked, partly running and partly hopping as she did. She had to see Robert immediately.

"Dear God," he exclaimed when she reached him. "What is it?"

"Oh, Robert," she said, trying to catch her breath. "It is a tragedy of the highest order. You'll never believe it. Neither of you will."

"Take a deep breath, honey."

"What is it?" Mr. Mosby asked.

She flung herself into her fiancé's arms, weeping bitterly. "The reverend's not coming. We can't get married! How will I ever get to marry you, my dearest Robert?" She pushed herself out of his arms. "Whatever are we to tell everyone? The Higgins are coming all the way from Stephensville with their 13 children. Surely they are on their way here now. Whatever shall we say?"

Robert took her by the shoulders. "Calm yourself. You're overwrought."

Maria shook him off. She addressed Mr. Mosby. "Will you tell him the seriousness of this? Does he understand the ramifications if the preacher doesn't attend?"

Mr. Mosby sighed. "Maria, at the very worst, you'd have to postpone the wedding."

"Exactly," she agreed.

"But there's no need for that," Mr. Mosby said. "You could always have someone else in town marry you. There's no law in this territory that says that an ordained minister has to officiate. Why, you could have Josiah do it."

It was Robert's turn to frown. "Great. The man doesn't like me."

"True," Mr. Mosby agreed philosophically. He turned to Maria. "I suppose you're out luck, then."

Maria scrutinized Mr. Mosby. "Why, that would mean that you could do it, Mr. Mosby. How splendid!"

"Clay," he corrected. "And I can't. I'm the best man, remember? Besides, I know nothing about such things. Josiah will do it for you. And if he doesn't want to, we'll find someone that does. Don't concern yourself so."

She flung herself into her fiancé's arms. "Isn't it wonderful?" She pushed herself away from Robert and pumped Mr. Mosby's arm. "Oh, thank you! Thank you so very much!" Then she flung herself back into her fiancé's arms.

Robert held her by the shoulders. "Calm down, honey. Take a deep breath. That's it."

She grinned at him. Her plans were falling into place.


"Are they serving you well here, Newton? Is there anything I can get you?" she asked as she sat down at his table at the Dove.

He looked very annoyed. He spoke in clipped tones. "I want to eat my lunch in peace, Maria."

"I'll make sure no one disturbs you."

"That means you."

"Newton, you silly. Are you using your crutch?" She looked underneath the table. It was hidden there. She smiled. She was very proud of him.

"Just go away," he said miserably.

"You are in foul mood," she assessed. "Well, something happened today that quite disturbed me, but Mr. Mosby was kind enough to offer me some suggestions."

"What's in it for him?"

"Why, Newton. Stop saying such things. You know that he's my dearest Robert's best friend."

He grunted into his coffee. "I feel sorry for Shelby. That or Shelby ain't got no sense."

She lifted her chin. "Of course, he does. He's marrying me."

"I rest my case."

"You just don't like to hear anything nice about Mr. Mosby."

"Ain't nothing nice."

"He's not all bad, Newton."

"What part's good?"

Maria knew that he was being ridiculous. "Now, Newton. A proper lady does not discuss a gentleman's parts. But you should know that Robert and I will probably have him over as guest for dinner."

"Make sure I'm not there."

"Of course you won't be there. I'd never invite you at the same time. Give me credit for having a little sense."

He harrumphed and looked over at another table.

"Though I must say, it is very sweet of you to be willing to put aside your differences for my wedding day. You are so sweet and thoughtful. You are my most beloved blood brother."

He grunted.

"Robert and I must have you over for dinner. You must make your biscuits. Doesn't that sound lovely -- stew and biscuits?"

She ignored his grimace.

"I shall have to bake you a cake, because you will be our special guest. What kind of cake do you prefer, Newton?"

He finished his coffee in one big gulp and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. He attempted to stand up from the table.

Maria stood to assist him. "Short cake, I bet." She laughed at her own joke. "I'm sorry, Newton. I couldn't resist. It so describes your temper.

"Here, let me help you."

He shrugged her away. "Just . . . git!" He had a wild look in his eye.

"Newton, that is no way to talk to your blood sister a few days before her wedding. Now, if you'll come with me to Miss Taylor's, we'll get you fitted in your new suit."

He ripped his arm from her grasp. "That's it," he snapped. "I ain't listening anymore. Find someone else to walk you down your damn aisle."

He would have stalked away, but his injury prevented him. He grabbed his crutch and hobbled off aloofly.

She stood staring at him, stunned. How could her blood brother hurt her so?

She sighed. He was just being contrary. He would walk her down the aisle. She just knew that he would.

She bit her lip. He had to.


She looked at her writing with a critical eye. It was too rigid. It looked almost forced. Maria dipped her pen in the ink and tried writing her signature again. She pronounced the words with each flourish of her hand, "Mrs. . . . Robert . . . Shelby."

She sat back and scrutinized her writing. Her new name seemed so foreign to her. She tried a different variation:

Maria Shelby.

She stared at the words for a few minutes. Maria Shelby. The words thrilled her with excitement and fear. She would be a new woman in a few days. She had thought that she had been prepared. She certainly spent the last few months seeing to the details of the ceremony. But she wondered about the actual wedding. When it was over, she would no longer be the same person as before. She would be different. She would be something new.

She dipped the pen in the well.

Mrs. Robert Shelby.


"Miss Jessup, you simply must try Mrs. Traughber's fruit cake. You wouldn't think it, but it is absolutely delicious. We had some for last year's Independence Day celebrations." Maria sighed, remembering how Robert twirled her around at that dance. Then she blushed. Miss Jessup had said that they would be "dancing" on their wedding night. Maria just hoped that she would know what to do. She shook her head, returning to the present. "Mrs. Traughber certainly would have some cake for us to try. She is planning to bake our wedding cake."

Miss Jessup paused in her step. She frowned. "Fruit cake, my dear? Are you sure that is wise?"

"Why ever would it not be?"

"Robert never did have a fondness for raisins."

Maria did not know that about her intended. "I suppose it would not do to have Robert gag at our wedding."

"Why no, indeed. Robert always did like chocolate. Perhaps the dear woman can make you one of that variety."

"And a lot of people don't like fruit cake," Maria added. "Perhaps that would be the wisest choice. Mrs. Traughber made a chocolate cake for Miss Carpenter's Christmas celebration. Mr. Root ate half the cake in one sitting. Then he went back for seconds." Maria blushed, remembering how Robert had kissed her for the first time the day after Christmas. "Oh, Miss Jessup! How I do want things to be perfect for us!"

"They will be. They always are."

Maria smiled at Miss Jessup. She was glad that the older woman was standing up with her.

"And has your uncle consented to preside over the ceremony?" Miss Jessup asked nonchalantly.

Maria regarded Miss Jessup. The older woman and Josiah had been at odds ever since it was discovered that she was planning to take Miss Florie's and Mr. Mosby's baby back to Denver with her. Josiah had been opposed to Maria's decision to have Miss Jessup stand up with her.

"He is not overjoyed to marry us," Maria admitted, "but he said that he would. I had to remind him of his mayoral duty."

"Let alone his responsibilities to his niece," Miss Jessup added critically.

Maria cleared her throat. "Yes, well. Here we are."

Maria and Miss Jessup knocked on Mrs. Traughber's door.


She saw her blood brother hobbling down the street, but she had to attend to some last minute arrangements with Mrs. Hammond, the organist at the church. She would have to run after him later. He was much slower than she was, so she was bound to catch up to him. Her business with Mrs. Hammond concerned him anyway. The march music had to be slowed to accommodate his awkward gate.

Maria could not believe it. It was the day prior to her wedding. It had taken months to make all the arrangements, and everything seemed to be falling into place. Her dress, the food, the music -- everything was completed. The church ladies were busy picking spring flowers at that very moment to decorate the church for the following day. Everything would be so splendid.

Maria frowned. Everything except her blood brother. According to Miss Taylor, he had not been fitted for his suit. Maria had to guess his size. Mr. Taylor, Miss Taylor's father, had to size a suit based on Maria's hand gestures, much to Maria's embarrassment. She wished that her blood brother would not be so difficult.

Finally, Mrs. Hammond opened her door. Maria stepped inside.


She stepped around the corner to the back of the newspaper office. Robert was waiting for her there. He took off his hat.

She smiled shyly at him.

He grinned at her, and she blushed.

He held out his hand to her, and she accepted. Their fingers entwined. Their lips met in a gentle kiss.


Much to Maria's chagrin, Josiah said grace without waiting for Austin. She had hoped that Austin would be home for their last dinner as the Peale family. Josiah told her that Austin was just late. He would be home eventually. Instead, she ate dinner alone with her uncle.

"Are you still planning to have Miss Jessup stand up with you?" Josiah asked a little too nonchalantly.

"Of course. You'll see her standing next to me tomorrow."

He shrugged. "Pass me a roll."

"Are you nervous about tomorrow?" Maria ventured, handing him the plate. "Have you married very many couples?"

"No, nary one. You'll be my first."

"Oh," Maria said.

"Do you know what you plan to say?" Maria asked after awhile.

"Something from the Book of Common Prayer. It will be similar to the vows at my wedding." Josiah's smile was bittersweet.

"Was Aunt Sarah very lovely?" Maria whispered.

"Yes," he nodded. "Yes, she was. Just like you will be. All the Peale women are. From great aunt Henrietta Peale, right down to you -- they are the pride of their husbands."

Maria's eyes glistened. "Do you really think so? That I'll be as pretty as Aunt Hetty?"

"Yes. I'm sure of it."

"Thank you, Uncle Josiah."

Josiah bit his lip. "Perhaps you and I ought to be having a little talk."

"We are having a little talk."

"I mean, do you know, um, what's expected of you, um, tomorrow night," he stammered.

She blushed. "Why, of course. Miss Jessup said that it was like dancing."

A look of relief settled upon his face. "If you've already spoken to Olivia about this matter, then I don't need to say anything."

Maria nodded at him, suppressing a smile.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

Maria could not believe that she was discussing this with her uncle.

"Yes."

"Well, you don't need to be. Although every Peale wedding has been interrupted in some way, they are always seen to completion."

"What do you mean?" Maria asked in alarm. "What do you mean they've been interrupted?"

"Oh, don't worry about it. Take my wedding to Sarah. Old Shep hated me from the day I set foot in Sarah's parlor. That dog was always trying to bite me. So he got loose during the wedding. He came slinking up the aisle after me. The first chance he got, he sank his teeth into me. He chewed up my pant leg. I tried to shake him off, but he hung on. I could hardly recite my wedding vows. Sarah was laughing so hard that I couldn't help but laugh. That was a beautiful wedding."

Maria giggled.

"Of course, not all the interruptions have been so pleasant. Hannah and Newt's wedding was interrupted by a bank robbery. A banker was killed. Newt and the townsmen took off after the gang before Newt and Hannah could even complete their vows. But they recovered the money and were back in time to complete the service. Hannah looked so beautiful in Sarah's gown."

His eyes drifted to Hannah's wedding photo.

"Hannah was lovely," Maria conceded.

Josiah shook off his melancholy.

"Your mother Lily was, you know," Josiah added, smiling at her. "I don't believe I ever saw my sister so beautiful as when she married your father. She would have wanted you to wear her gown . . . ."

Maria frowned, remembering her parents' death. Josiah patted her hand. "But your gown is very attractive. You will pass it on to your daughter."

She smiled. "Thank you, Uncle Josiah." Then she frowned. "Nothing interrupted their wedding, did it? Aunt Elinor never mentioned it to me."

"She was your father's sister? No wonder she never said anything about it. She was the interruption."

"Not Aunt Elinor --"

"Yes. If I remember correctly, she was the one that sneezed every five minutes throughout the entire ceremony. She had a problem with the flowers. She sneezed so hard that she knocked over the best man. He fell right onto your father, and your father into Lily. John Bennett was always accident prone. Your aunt was mortified, but everyone laughed about it."

"Aunt Elinor said that she cried at their wedding."

"She did, be it from joy or allergies, no one could tell."

Maria's smile was bittersweet. "I wish she could be here. I would risk her sneezing into me."

"We all wish at one time or another that one that has passed was still with us," he said, his blue eyes staring at the oil lamp on the table. He cleared his throat. "Yes, well. That's nothing compared to Old Jedediah Peale's wedding. The best man declared an impediment. Jedediah promptly beat him up, and the wedding continued. Of course, it was found that Jedediah was a secret polygamist with five other wives. He never was the same when wife number six came after him with a butcher knife . . . ."

Josiah spent the remainder of the meal recounting the Peale family weddings and their interruptions. Austin never did appear.


She heard him come in later that night. She had tried to fall asleep several times, but it was of no use. She was far too nervous. She sat in the kitchen, drinking a mug of warm milk.

Austin peeked his head into the kitchen. "You ought to be in bed, shouldn't you? You're going to have a long day tomorrow." He smiled wryly. "And an even longer night."

Maria blushed and quickly hid her face in her mug.

He sat down at the table. He scratched around his collar. "Is there anything you want to ask me?"

"About what?"

"About tomorrow. You know. Tomorrow night."

Maria smiled. "I had a similar discussion with your father at dinner. He told me all about the Peale family weddings. I do so hope that my wedding will proceed without interruptions, but fate makes that unlikely. I wonder what will happen tomorrow."

He snorted. "Looks like a storm's coming in. A great big one."

Maria hit him. "It is not, you silly. The almanac said that it would be sunny."

"I wouldn't worry. Yours might be the first hitching to go off without a hitch in Peale family history."

Maria smiled at him. It was awfully sweet of Austin to say so.

"So, do you have any questions? I would have loved to have heard what Father had to say about it."

"About what?"

"About tomorrow night. When you're alone with Shelby." Austin began to fidget.

"I think I will be all right."

"What did Father say?"

Maria was unsure how to answer that. "Enough. You'll probably hear it the night before you get married."

Austin snorted. "I'm not getting married."

"Sure, you are. All we need to do is find you a nice girl --"

"No decent girl would have me," Austin said. "Not like you. Not like Hannah."

Maria frowned at him. "That's just plain nonsense."

"Admit it. Name on one hand the decent girls that would have me."

"Austin," she sighed. "How many eligible women are there in this town? Men outnumber the women five to one. You know that. We'll find you someone, if that is what you really want. I'd love to help you."

Her eyes danced at the thought of all the preparations that would have to be made for the match.

Austin held out his hands. "You worry about your own wedding. I'll worry about mine."

"Oh, you men know nothing of romance and weddings. I'll be only too glad to help you in your endeavor."

"Did Call ever agree to take you down the aisle?" Austin asked quickly.

Maria sighed and frowned. "No, and I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't come to my wedding. I will have to walk to down the aisle all by myself, I suppose." She tried to hide her stricken expression in her milk mug.

"Call's a selfish bastard. I'll walk you down, if you want."

She nearly dropped her mug. "Why, why . . . Austin, do you mean it?"

He shrugged. The only sign of emotion on his face was the twitch of his jaw.

"But you don't even like Robert."

"Not doing it for Shelby."

She jumped up and rushed to him. "Oh, Austin!"

He fended her off, trying to hide the smile on his face. "Now stop that before I change my mind."

She heeded his advice. She sat back down and grinned at him. "You must have been wonderful brother."

His smile was brief. He stood up. "You best be going to bed. You'll want to wide awake for what happens to you tomorrow night."

"Oh, you're incorrigible!"

"But you love me."

"I suppose. Good night, Austin."

"Good night."


Maria stood two inches from the mirror. It was so very difficult to see herself without her glasses. She stepped back a few feet. She squinted. Then she put on her glasses. The wedding dress seemed all right. The charmeuse silk had a beautiful line to it, and she was most happy with the pink trim. She took off her glasses, and all she saw was a white blur. She stepped forward a few feet. She could see herself, but now she was too close to the mirror. She stomped her foot. How would she ever know if she looked better with her glasses on or off?

She put them on again. This was most discouraging.

She heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," she said, trying to adjust to that perfect distance of seeing and not seeing.

"Maria?" Mr. Mosby asked. "You sent for me?"

"Oh, Mr. Mosby," she exclaimed breathlessly, ushering him in. "You're just the man I wanted to talk to. This is very urgent."

"Clay," he corrected. "I really mustn't leave --"

He stopped short when he looked at her. He smiled warmly. "You're a vision, Maria. Robert will be most pleased."

Maria felt very satisfied with herself. "Thank you, Mr. Mosby. Oh, but don't tell him what I look like! It's bad luck."

He hid his smile. "You wanted to talk to me about something? I really should get back to Robert. He's quite nervous, you know."

"He is? I am, too." She clasped his hand. "Oh, Mr. Mosby. Something has been bothering me since yesterday, and I simply must know. I know you can tell me. I didn't think to ask before, but I simply don't have time to now. You'll have to tell me."

"Take a deep breath, Maria. You're overwrought. And call me 'Clay.'"

Maria sighed with impatience. "Oh, Mr. Mosby, there's no time for that now. You have to tell me. You've known Robert the longest. Is he married?"

"What?"

"Is he married? During Uncle Jedediah's fifth, or was it sixth?, wedding, it was revealed that he was a polygamist. Oh, I do so not want to come after my dearest Robert with a butcher knife. So tell me. Is he married, or is he not?"

To his credit, Mr. Mosby did not laugh. He did grin, though. "Robert has not, to the best of my knowledge, been married nor is he currently married. You're his first. You can put your butcher knife away for another day."

The relief in her chest was palpable. "Oh, Mr. Mosby, you can't possibly know. Uncle Josiah told me so many wedding horror stories yesterday that I feel myself coming undone." She gripped his hand again when another terrible thought entered her mind. "You must secure the bank, Mr. Mosby. I don't want a bank robbery during my wedding. You'll see to it? Please?"

He cleared his throat. He adjusted his collar nervously. "I'll put some men on it right away. You have my own personal assurance. There'll be no bank robbery during your wedding."

Maria nodded at him. "One can never be too careful."

"Indeed. Now, Maria, I'd best be seeing to Robert."

"Give him my love."

"You can give him your love when you see him later."

Maria blushed. The next time she would see Robert, she would be pledging her vows.

She stopped Mr. Mosby before he left.

"Glasses on, or glasses off?" she asked, demonstrating.

He looked quite stricken for a moment. "Robert won't care. All he will feel is the deepest pride when he sees his bride walk down the aisle. I ought to know. I felt that with mine."

Then he abruptly left.

Maria frowned. Weddings were not the happiest of days for some people. They brought back too many bittersweet memories.


"Have you seen Newton?" Maria asked nervously, squinting at anyone that walked near. She bit her lip. The least her blood brother could do was to attend her wedding.

"What?" Mr. Root replied. "Call? No, I ain't seen him."

Maria put on her glasses. She had them hidden in her bouquet.

"Why, Mr. Root!" she declared. "You look positively dashing. The pink flower sets off your suit nicely."

He blushed, whether from the compliment or from the sun, it was difficult to tell.

"You look nice, too," he said, shuffling his feet.

"Why, thank you, Mr. Root." She straightened her dress and removed her glasses. "But I didn't ask you over to comment on my dress. You simply must do me a favor. I believe you are the only man to do it."

"What? You want me to haul you down the aisle? I can do that." His chin lifted proudly.

Maria suddenly wondered if talking to Mr. Root was a good idea. "You don't need to do that. There's no mud in the church, silly. But you can do something else. You are good with animals, aren't you?" When she saw him nod, she continued, "Good. You must keep any dogs from entering the church -- or anything on four legs, for that matter. Do you understand me? I won't have anything slinking into my wedding.

"And, Mr. Root? If you see anyone sneezing near the wedding party, please escort them to another pew. You must use discretion, of course."

He laughed at her. "Anything else?"

She frowned. "Do try to find Newton. Please tell him he doesn't need to walk me down the aisle, but I would like him to come all the same."

He nodded. "I'll find him."

"Oh, thank you."

She turned to face Miss Jessup. After a few moments, she heard Miss Jessup gasp. She began to fuss with Maria's long, flowing veil.

"What is it?" Maria exclaimed.

"Do not be alarmed, Miss Bennett, but I do believe that that stage coach driver has very big feet."

Maria reached for her glasses, but Miss Jessup's gloved hand stopped her.

"No, no. It's best that you don't see. Your veil is really not that bad."

Maria pulled up her veil in alarm. There was a big smudge on her lace. She grasped Miss Jessup's hand. Whatever was she going to do?

"Whatever you do, don't panic," Miss Jessup advised. "You must appear calm and collected."

"But the wedding is supposed to start in a few minutes . . . ."

"Here, we will just try to rub it out. Thank goodness I am prepared for just such an eventuality. See -- that's better. In the dim light of the church, no one will ever suspect."

"But what about the reception?"

"You will simply drape the veil over your arm. No one will see it."

Maria exhaled, smiling at Miss Jessup.

Mrs. Hammond began playing the organ music, signaling the beginning of the ceremony.

Maria watched Miss Jessup walk gracefully up the aisle as Austin appeared at Maria's side.

She squinted at him. He looked very nice. She squeezed his arm.

Her feet seemed rooted to the ground as her heart swelled. This was the moment of a lifetime.

"You look all right," Austin whispered. "Just don't trip."

It would be undignified to swat him. She giggled despite the tears in her eyes.

"Let's go," she said, gulping. "Keep in time," she whispered to him. "Left foot. No, your other left foot".

She only wished she could see Robert waiting for her. If only she had worn her glasses. Perhaps she could somehow gracefully put them on during the march . . . .

Then she suddenly she became aware of a frenzied movement on one side of the church, followed by a high pitched shriek. The organ music stopped, and she heard shouting.

"Get it off! Get it away!" one of the twin biddy Longbottom sisters exclaimed.

Maria fumbled for her glasses. It only took a moment for her see what was going on. She was horrified. A bat was attacking Miss Ruby's hat as Miss Eula Mae swatted at the flying menace with her hand bag. Many of the ladies shrieked and rushed from the pew.

Then a shot echoed throughout the church as everyone hit the floor. Maria looked up from her position under the pew. The smoking gun belonged to none other than Newt Call!

He holstered his weapon and slouched back down on the pew. Miss Longbottom's shrieks had died down.

No one muttered a word, except Mr. Mosby. "I don't believe this is a shotgun wedding, Call."

Her blood brother's only reply was the smirk on his face.

Maria did not think that she could ever love her blood brother more than at this moment. He had saved her wedding!

She flashed him a grateful smile, but he looked off aloofly. Then she grinned at Austin, who helped her to her feet.

She nodded at Mrs. Hammond. The organ music began again as everyone slowly resumed their seats. Maria heard Miss Eula Mae tell her sister, "I told you not to wear that hat!"

This time, Maria kept her glasses on. She saw her dearest Robert in front of the church, waiting for her. The grin on his face made her feel like the most beautiful woman on earth. At that moment, there was only the two of them. Maria would remember his laughing eyes for the rest of her life.

They clutched hands as Josiah began the ceremony.

"Dearly beloved," he began, a warm smile on his face.

Maria could only hear half of his words over the pounding of her heart. She had never known such joy and such fright. She looked into her Robert's hazel eyes. He invigorated her. He made her feel special. He made her feel loved. He made her feel like she was the only woman on earth, and he was hers.

He was hers, she thought to herself. He was hers.

"And if every last being on earth should turn their back on him, the wife must not. If the world should shun him, she will be his only means of support and love. It has truly been said that 'the men of earth build houses, chambers, roofs, and domes, but the women of earth, God knows, the women build the homes.'"

She smiled at Robert through her tears. He looked upon her most strangely. He looked at her as if he knew that she was his, although he could not quite believe it. And he was proud.

"And the husband must provide for the wife. After all, she has given him everything -- her life and her love. Riches are nothing. The gift without the giver is bare. But in him, is all her happiness. He may bring her joy or sorrow. He must give her himself and his love."

She sensed in his eyes a fierce protectiveness. He squeezed her hand and nodded reassuringly at her. In one glance, he told her that he was, and ever would be, her champion.

"Do you, Robert Foote Shelby, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

His eyes did not leave hers. "I do."

"And do you, Maria Rose Bennett, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

She smiled through her tears and nodded vigorously at the man standing before her. "I do."

"Then by the power vested in me by the territory of Montana, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss your bride."

He wiped the tear from her cheek and caressed her chin up into a kiss.

The church applauded.

When they pulled away from the embrace, they could not stop grinning at each other.

"I give you Mr. and Mrs. Robert Shelby!" Josiah declared.

This was the moment she had been waiting for her entire life. Maria was a new woman. She threw back her head and laughed. Soon, Robert was chuckling with her. He quickly kissed her again, and she felt the pressure of his hand on her waist. She allowed him to guide her down the aisle as the people in the church cheered.

Maria marveled at her feet. Every step was a new step. She took every step with him. She felt lighter than air.

When they left the church, Robert pulled her toward him for another kiss. His hand never left her waist as they greeted everyone filing out from the church. Surely everyone in Curtis Wells had to be there.

It was not until later that Maria discovered that several people were not.

But for the moment, it did not matter. It was their wedding day. She and Robert had greeted and were congratulated by so many people that Maria could not keep track. She would have to personally thank everyone that attended her wedding. She would have to make a special point to thank UnBob for the lovely bouquet of wild flowers that he had picked for her earlier that morning. The little pink flowers in the bouquet complemented the trim of her gown.

Finally, the last few people filed out.

"Robert," Mr. Mosby said, clapping his friend on his back. Then he took Maria's hand. "Mrs. Shelby."

Maria practically jumped up and down at the sound of those words, but she refrained from doing so. Instead, she pumped Mr. Mosby's hand, grinning foolishly at him.

"You're a lucky man," he told his friend solemnly, withdrawing himself from her grip. To her, he said, "Take care of him, won't you, Mrs. Shelby?"

She nodded at him and smiled besottedly at her husband.

Her husband, she thought to herself. Robert was her husband!

She could hardly restrain herself from shouting it to the world.

Robert grinned like an idiot at her, as well. He brought her hand to his lips. He clasped her hand as they proceeded to the reception behind the church.

They would now face the world as man and wife.

The sun shone brightly that day, and the sky was blue. There were a few clouds in the sky.


"Oh, Newton!" Maria declared as she approached his bench of choice outside the church. "You saved my wedding. How could I possibly thank you enough? You are the best blood brother a girl could ever hope for."

"Always knew you had bats in your belfry," he remarked wryly.

"Oh, Newton, you silly. But it was remarkable how you downed that bat. Excellent marksmanship."

Her blood brother did not reply.

"I'm glad that you were at my wedding, Newton. It worked out for the best that you did not walk me down the aisle. You were best able to take of that bat from your position, and Austin was a splendid escort. I just want you to know that you would have been, too, Newton."

He shrugged. "Should've asked Austin in the first place."

"Oh, well. Perhaps when our children are christened, you may be there for that. But I would not want you frighten the baby. You would have to find another way to down that bat."

"Can't you go irritate your husband?"

Maria smiled at him. "He's my husband, Newton. Isn't he splendid? I've been waiting to say 'my husband' my whole entire lifetime."

"Well, here he comes. I sure hope he knows how to shut you up. He's likely to go crazy."

By that time, Robert was at her side.

"Thank you, Call," Robert said. He offered to shake hands.

Maria was displeased that her blood brother even hesitated to shake her husband's hand. But he did, for the briefest of moments.

"Treat her well, Shelby."

Robert pulled her closer. "I intend to."

"Oh, Newton. Do you realize that Mr. Mosby is Robert's blood brother? You are my blood brother. Through our marriage, that makes you and Mr. Mosby . . . " Maria knew there had to be some sort of connection. "Blood brothers-in-law. How splendid!"

Her blood brother looked very irritated. "Now git, and why don't the two of you go spend your lives together. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?"

"Good idea," Robert agreed, pulling her closer. "The reception is almost over." He had an odd smile on his lips.

"Goodbye, Newton. Thank you so much for today."

Robert led her away from the bench. She glanced back and saw that her blood brother had removed his hat. He was staring at the church. She saw him wipe his eye, and then replace his hat.

Maria squeezed Robert's hand.


The minute he placed her down on the ground, Maria suspected that her life was over. She knew it was over the minute Robert locked the door. No one could disturb them. More importantly, there was no way out. Of course, she could jump out of the Lonesome Dove first story window, but that was insane. She had just barely healed from getting shot in the leg months ago. She could not risk breaking the other one. Besides, perhaps she had little to fear. If Robert kissed her, then perhaps the experience would not be so bad. He would kiss her, wouldn't he?

She promised herself that she would not back away from him like a frightened little rabbit when he approached her. So when he turned to face her, she bravely remained where she was, although it was her deepest wish to crawl in a hole and never peek out.

He loosened his cravat as he slowly made his way toward her. His slight smile unnerved her.

"You look very handsome today, Robert," Maria squeaked.

He grinned at her, and she felt like running for cover. She prided herself on not moving.

"My beautiful bride," Robert whispered, his eyes caressing every curve of her body. She tensed under his gaze as she felt the flush of her skin.

His hand met hers, and Maria nearly jumped. "Easy," he soothed. "Easy. I'll be gentle with you. I promise."

His fingers slowly teased along her pinky finger to the sensitive flesh of her palm. Maria felt her heartbeat rise to an alarming rate.

"I should get out of this wedding dress," Maria suggested as he nibbled on her ear. She had to stall him somehow. She was not ready. After months of preparation for the wedding ceremony, Maria had not planned very much for the wedding night. She was not ready.

"Indeed, you should get out of those clothes," Robert agreed. "I'll help you." He began to unfasten the buttons behind her neck. His fingers lightly touched her bare skin, and soon his lips grazed where his fingers had been.

Maria was unsure of what to think about the situation. She had promised herself that she would not move. No matter how scared she was, she would not move. She would not refuse him.

"Touch me." She felt the hot breath of his words on her neck. "Touch me, Maria."

She could not do it. Her eyes widened in alarm. She wanted to do as her husband asked, but she was frozen. She could not move. She opened her mouth, but no words escaped her lips. She was failing her husband. It made her even more frightened.

She heard him sigh. He pulled away from her. He paced a bit, and then he stood still. He looked as if he was a soldier preparing for battle.

"You'll be the death of me," he muttered.

"I don't want to be," Maria was finally able to say. She felt awful. There had to be some way that she could help. She wanted to please him. Truly she did. But how could she move?

He assessed her. He grunted, and then his eyes lit up. "I've got it!" Without warning, he shrugged out of his overcoat. He hopped on one leg, quickly removing his shoe, and then he proceeded to remove his other shoe. He tossed them on the floor. He tore open his shirt, and before Maria had the sense to turn her face away, he had slid the suspenders off his shoulders. She heard what must have been his trousers fall on the floor. Then she heard the telltale whisper of another garment falling. Then she heard nothing. She wanted more than anything to see her husband and his glorious manliness, but she wondered about the propriety of the thing. Just as she was about to brave lifting her eyes, she heard the creak of the bedsprings. He had pulled the covers to his chin before she could see anything.

She felt an extreme sense of disappointment.

"All right," he said, laughing at her. "We're going to do this your way."

"My way?" she repeated, her voice squeaking. Surely, he had to be mistaken. She did not know what she was doing.

"You're going to seduce me," he said.

"Me?" she repeated again. Surely, her husband had gone insane.

"Yes, you. Now how do you propose you are going to do it?"

Maria had no idea how she was supposed to do such a thing. He was insane.

He laughed. "You can't do it all the way from over there."

"I can't?"

"No."

Maria frowned. She supposed she would have to approach him if that is what it took.

"I can't seduce you in this dress," she said, looking down at her skirts.

He clearly appeared to disagree with her, but he only smiled.

"I should change into a night gown. It's part of my trousseau," Maria informed him.

"You do that," Robert replied rather huskily. "There's a screen right over there."

She felt her heart race, but not from fear. It was more like of . . . anticipation.

She blushed under his gaze. She took an oil lamp with her as she stepped behind the screen. She placed the lamp on the floor behind her. She had to still her hands before unfastening each button down her back. Finally, she was able to wriggle out of her dress. She draped the dress over the screen, and then untied her corset. She slipped out of her chemise and undergarments, baring her skin. She had the distinct impression that what she was doing could be considered naughty. In fact, all that prevented her husband from seeing her person was a thin little screen. She paused. She certainly could not see him. But she could hear him.

"What was that, Robert?" she called out to him.

"Nothing," he said, his voice rather rough. "Please continue."

She suspected for a moment that he could actually see her. She felt her skin flush. That was ridiculous. There was no way he could see her. But still, perhaps it was best to put on her gown. She reached her arms above her head and let the gown caress her skin as it edged down, inch by deliberate inch. When her gown reached the floor, Maria had the distinct feeling that she had done something very bad.

Yet, she could not stop smiling.

"I'm coming out now," Maria informed him, fastening all the buttons up to her neck.

She heard him grunt.

"Do you want me to blow out the lamp?"

"No!" he quickly protested.

She picked up the lamp and stepped out from behind the screen. The covers were still pulled up to his chin. She could not see any part of him. She looked down at her nightgown. He definitely could not see any part of her.

Barely stifling a giggle, Maria grinned. All of this was so very odd and thrilling.

He smiled back at her most wickedly.

"I should put this lamp down somewhere."

"The nightstand is fine," he managed to say.

"Yes, right," she stammered. Her foot encountered some of his scattered clothes.

She bent over and picked up his trousers. She actually felt his trousers with her hands. Oh, that was definitely naughty, she thought to herself.

"Don't do that now." His voice was hoarse.

"You don't want my hands touching your pants?" Maria asked incredulously. She did not know how he expected her to do the laundry.

He gave her a very odd look. He looked as if he was under a great deal of strain. "Not at the moment. Perhaps later."

She let his trousers drop to the floor and placed the lamp on the nightstand opposite of him. He was still several feet away.

She wondered if she ought to climb on the bed. He gazed at her expectantly.

"I'm going to seduce you now," Maria informed him.

He nodded, grinning at her.

She giggled. "Are you sure we ought to be doing this?"

"Most definitely."

"I never dreamed I'd be doing this."

"I hate to tell you this, but you aren't doing anything all the way over there."

She cleared her throat. She should get to the business at hand. "Yes, right."

She stifled a giggle and climbed onto the bed. She was on top of the covers, and he was underneath. Somehow, that did not make sense, but she was content for the moment. She sat and stared at the marvel of him. He was actually hers.

He lifted an eyebrow rather impatiently. "Well?"

"I was just looking at you. You are so very handsome." Her finger caressed his cheek. He grinned at her.

"My dearest Robert." She let her finger tentatively trace his lips.

His eyes burned with fire.

Her lips felt the need to explore where her fingers had been. She gulped and leaned forward, and then she pulled back. He grunted in protest.

She silenced his lips with her finger. Then she removed her glasses and placed them on the nightstand. "I'll have to get very close to you if I want to see you, Robert," she explained. Her voice sounded so foreign to her. It was like a . . . temptress, a siren.

Maria was very pleased with herself.

Smiling, she decided to kiss him silly.

"You're killing me," Robert grunted.

She giggled and moved toward him. Her lips found his, shyly exploring at first, and then with more passion. She wondered if he liked her kissing him most passionately. She certainly liked it when he returned her ardor.

"Oh, Robert," she moaned, her lips moving to caress his jaw and his neck. Suddenly, kissing just his face and neck was not enough. Her body had to feel the whole of him. She rolled on top of him, but her nightgown was caught around her ankles. She wiggled on top of him to free herself.

He groaned.

"I'm not hurting you, am I Robert?"

"Yes," he struggled to squeak out.

She gave him a concerned look. She tried to reposition herself. "I --"

"Here, let me help you." His hands shot out from underneath the covers. They molded to her hips and her seat, pushing her body lower and lower until . . . .

"Robert," she gasped.

He nodded, his gaze burning into her face and cheeks and her entire body.

With startling intensity, she became aware of something inside her that needed to be fulfilled. He must have needed it just a badly.

"I don't know what to do," Maria whispered.

He willed her to look into his eyes. Her heartbeat matched the intensity of his. Her breath became as ragged. Her body moved in time with his.

She gazed into his eyes. She did not know what to do.

He nodded, smiling gently at her.

He rolled on top of her, and somehow she was underneath the covers with him.

Then she knew. This was what marriage was. It was pain, ecstasy, love, giddiness, and fear all at once.

God have given her the greatest gift -- her dearest Robert.

"'His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely,'" she whispered to him as her fingers traced his lips.

He hovered above her for a moment, touching her with his eyes.

"I love you," he said.

And he did.

April 2004

barbed wire

Return to Darcie's LD Fan-Fiction Page

Return to Darcie's Lonesome Dove Page