Darcie's Fan-Fiction

Episode 22: Uncertainties

This story picks up hours after my last one, REUNIONS.

barbed wire

Late May 1882

She knelt at his bedside, grasping his hand. She could not speak as the tears streamed down her face. Her blood brother, presumed dead, was alive. His leg was severely broken, but he was alive. She wondered how she could be so blessed. She could not stop patting his hand. He was a miracle.

After awhile, he pulled away. "That'll do," he said, clearing his throat. He grunted and looked out the window.

"Newton," she whispered. "Newton. Newton." She could not stop saying his name.

"His name is 'Newt.'" The older man in the other bed remarked.

Maria regarded him. He was just an older version of his son. They had even wounded the same leg. She grinned. "Oh, Captain Call! If you could only know my joy! Newton has returned back from the dead, and it is all your doing. You truly are a wonderful man!"

The older man looked down, then gazed out the window. He appeared embarrassed.

His modesty was a virtue, Maria thought.

Her blood brother grunted.

"Captain Call, whatever could I do to thank you? You simply must come to my wedding."

Her blood brother grunted again. The older man continued to stare out the window.

Then Maria remembered that Captain Call did not even go to his own son's wedding. She bit her lip. Perhaps she should not have said that.

She cleared her throat. "Oh, Newton! I missed you so much! We all thought that you were dead, except Mr. Root and Miss Horn. Mr. Crow told me that you were alive, and I finally believed, and here you are!" She looked down at his leg in sympathy. A new wave of tears overcame her. "Oh, Newton! I could have killed you! To think you went out there, looking for my wolf . . ." She bowed her head with guilt and shame. "When the Hell Bitch came back alone and wounded, I should have known that my wolf had attacked you. Everyone's suffering has been my doing. I am so sorry. You cannot know how terrible I feel."

Her blood brother snorted at her. "What are you going on about? A cougar attacked us. The Hell Bitch reared and threw me off, and the cougar went after her. I broke my leg. Weren't your fault. Just happened."

Maria frowned at him. "But you did go out looking for my wolf, didn't you?"

"Yes, but I didn't see nothing. Then I picked up the trail of a bounty. Had nothing to do with you."

Maria smiled at him through her tears. Her blood brother was trying to alleviate her guilt. He truly was a wonderful man.

She grasped his hand again. "Oh, Newton! Thank you so much. Thank you for everything!"

He snatched his hand away from her and looked off aloofly. She laughed and was about to make a grab for his hand again when Dr. Cleese came into the room.

Maria hobbled to the side as Dr. Cleese examined her blood brother and then the older man.

The older man grunted as Dr. Cleese gingerly felt his wounds.

"Remarkable," Dr. Cleese commented. "I've never seen puncture wounds such as these. You stepped into a trap, you say? Those things have the force to break an animal's leg. It is quite remarkable that you even have your leg, sir."

The older man stared at him with his pale blue eyes. Dr. Cleese cleared his throat and backed away.

He looked over to the younger man. "Your leg appears to be healing properly. It's curious, though. Your leg looks like it has been broken twice . . . as though it was set once, and then set again."

Her blood brother's face turned ashen. He nodded over to the older man. "He had to re-break it. I couldn't set it right the first time by myself."

Maria gasped, her hand covering her mouth. Her poor blood brother . . . .

"He saved your life then," Dr. Cleese remarked.

The blond man snorted. "Was doing fine on my own. Didn't need no help of his."

The older man grunted and stared out the window.

Maria could see that the two men were miles apart, although they were in the same room.

Dr. Cleese cleared his throat. "Yes, well. I'm afraid that both of you will have to remain here until those wounds heal."

The blond man harrumphed. The older man's gaze did not veer.

The doctor left the room. Maria could feel the silence between the men.

She bit her lip. She hobbled over to her blood brother's bedside. "Oh, Newton! So much has happened since you've been gone. The Hell Bitch is better, and I'm sure she wants to go for a ride.

"My charmeuse arrived from Denver, and Miss Taylor is going to make me the most beautiful dress trimmed with pink. Oh, Newton! Think of it - you are going to walk me down the aisle after all!"

"Hoping you was hitched before I got back," he muttered.

"You silly. You know I'm getting married in a few weeks. Besides, 'walking' may not be the appropriate word. We will hobble down the aisle together. Look! I've been shot in the same leg that you've broken! Mr. Crow told me that since our blood flows through each other's veins that we are medicine to each other."

He harrumphed. "You're like laudanum. Go on now. Git. You're making me tired."

She was flattered that she could relieve him of pain and suffering. She wiped a tear from her eye. "You did miss me, Newton."

He looked off aloofly.

She hobbled over to the older man. "He truly loves me. I told you so. Do you remember?"

The older man looked cornered. He nodded and squirmed in his bed.

"Oh, Captain Call! If there is anything can do for you, anything at all, please let me know. You cannot know how grateful I am to you for bringing my Newton back."

"His name is 'Newt,'" he pointed out.

She laughed as she turned towards the door. "Well," she sighed. "You gentleman have much to discuss, and I'm just in the way here. I'll visit you again soon, perhaps this afternoon. I'm having another fitting. I'll tell you all about it."

"Waiting on tenterhooks," her blood brother muttered.

She regarded him. She still could not believe it. It was so remarkable that he was even alive. A pang touched her heart. "Oh, Newton, you can't know how much I've missed you. I love you so!"

He grimaced and looked off aloofly. His gaze accidentally met his father's. The men stared off in opposite directions.

Maria frowned before she left. The men were too alike.


"Oh, Robert!" she exclaimed. "They are so much alike. You'd never believe it. Why, I don't believe it. It is such a miracle that Newton is alive! I feel so remarkably blessed. Can you believe that such happiness exists? It is truly a -"

His mouth stole her breath as he swooped in on her. He pulled her closer to him as his kiss deepened. His embrace loosened, allowing her to breath once more. She was about to say something else when he began to nibble on her neck.

"Oh, Robert," Maria whispered breathlessly. She could not remember what she had been trying to tell him.

"Robert?"

"Hmm?" He was busy nibbling on her neck. She always enjoyed it when he kissed her most passionately.

"What was I saying?"

"I'm not sure, but the other side of your neck needs my attention."

His lips traced from the sensitive spot behind her ear to the hollow at the base of her throat. He lingered there, and his breath became ragged. She could feel the warmth of it beneath her collar, and then the flush of her skin over her entire body. She tilted her chin to allow him more access, and his lips roamed over the length of her neck. She moaned when his lips teased along her jaw.

"Oh, Robert," she sighed huskily as he finally nibbled on her other ear.

"I want to make you mine," he whispered. His hot breath in her ear caused a warm tickle down her entire body. She giggled, and he quickly pulled her closer. Her breath caught. She could see something desperate in his eyes. She could feel the tension in his body. "I need you," he said hoarsely. "Do you understand? I want you."

His lips enveloped her mouth, and his tongue parted her lips. She gasped when he explored her. She could sense his urgency. It frightened her. She pulled away when his hands molded to her intimate places.

She heard his grunt of protest. She straightened her dress and her glasses as she blushed. She had been touched there before, but not of her own volition. This was the first time he had ever explored her in other places than her mouth or neck. "I'm sorry, Robert. I shouldn't have allowed you to do that."

Maria shuddered at the memory of what had almost happened to her during an unfortunate stagecoach journey more than the year ago. She was glad that she had not been fully violated. She could give him her purity. She hoped that he would understand.

He let out a ragged breath. He stepped back from her and took another shuddering breath. Maria was afraid that she had done something wrong.

She took a step towards him. "Robert, I --"

He stepped back from her. "I forgot myself. I was wrong," he said in clipped tones.

Maria knew that she may have angered him. "I didn't want to hurt you. I didn't mean to push you away."

"You're right, honey I forgot myself. I let my hands roam where they shouldn't --"

Then Robert smiled patiently at her. "We'll have plenty of time for that after the wedding. I'd best be going before I forget myself again."

Maria frowned at him. "But I like it when you kiss me most passionately."

He grinned wickedly at her. "Oh, I'll be doing more than that on our wedding night." He winked, gave her a peck on the cheek, and stepped out of the back door.

Maria stared after him, fear in her heart. She loved him dearly, but what he said frightened her. She knew little about such things, and what she did know was not good. She bit her lip, clutched her breast, and shut the door. She stepped into her room and sat at her dressing table. She imagined what she would look like on her wedding night. She would look like a frightened little bird. Maybe she just needed the correct clothes for the occasion, but she had no idea what they could be. She puckered her lips, practicing for the passionate kissing to come.

"What are you doing?" she heard bemused Austin ask as he loomed in her doorway.

She shrieked and jumped up from her stool. "Austin Peale! Get out of my room this instant!" She grabbed her hairbrush and threw it at him.

He dodged it and smirked. "Easy now. Just being sociable. Came to give you something."

She regarded him suspiciously. "What?"

"Thought you might be needed it, seeing that your wedding's coming up."

Maria frowned at him. He hid something behind his back.

"It's about being a proper bride," he explained. "You do want to be a proper bride, don't you?"

"Yes," she admitted, although she was still suspicious of her cousin.

He held out a pamphlet to her. "It's written by a reverend's wife. How much more proper can you get?"

Her eyes narrowed at him. "Why are you doing this, Austin?"

He threw the pamphlet on her dresser. "Do want you want with it. Makes no difference to me." He smirked and sauntered off.

Maria stared at the pamphlet for a few minutes. She caught her image in the mirror. She still looked like a frightened bird. She squared her chin and reached for the pamphlet.

She read with it with horror.


Maria had no idea who she could consult about such matters. Her poor Newton was convalescing with his father in Dr. Cleese's office. She could not talk to him about it anyway. He was man. She definitely could not discuss the matter with a male.

Yet, she had few female friends in town. She had the feeling Miss Carpenter would laugh at her. Miss Florie and Miss Selena were far too experienced on the matter. The old biddy twins Eula Mae and Ruby Longbottom would no doubt inform the entire town of Maria's predicament. There was one person that she might be able to talk with, yet Maria was unsure. She had to talk with someone.

She dodged behind a corner, nearly tripping on her bad leg. Miss Jessup was talking with Mr. Mosby and Robert out in front of the Dove. Maria frowned when her fiancé entered the hotel with Miss Jessup. Mr. Mosby turned and headed in Maria's direction. She bit her lip. He might do.

She emerged from her hiding place as Mr. Mosby neared her. Taken aback, Mr. Mosby took off his hat.

"Miss Bennett, what can I do for you?"

Maria blushed. She hemmed, "Er, Mr. Mosby, I have something I wish to discuss with you, if you don't mind. It's rather private."

He looked puzzled. "I'm rather busy at the moment. Perhaps later --"

"It will only take a few minutes, Mr. Mosby. Please?"

He sighed. "Very well. What is it you wish to discuss?"

Maria looked to see if anyone was watching. She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the alley.

"Why, Miss Bennett," he exclaimed.

"Oh, Mr. Mosby, I'm in awful fix. I need someone to talk to. I just know that you can help me."

He looked alarmed. "What's the problem?"

She blushed. "There's a little matter . . . it's about . . . I simply need some advice."

"Can't Robert help you?"

Her eyes widened in alarm. "Oh, no! He's the last person I'd want to talk to about this! Although I suppose it does ultimately concern him. I simply must know beforehand . . . before the matter . . . before . . . you know. . ." She blushed and looked into his eyes, willing him to understand what she was rambling about.

Realization registered on his face. He looked like animal caught in a trap. He backed away from her. "Miss Bennett, I don't think I'm the right person for this. Perhaps you'd best consult Josiah . . ."

"Oh, no. Not him. Uncle Josiah would probably tell me a story about Old Jedidiah Peale. I need someone I can talk to about matters of a more . . . intimate . . . nature. Perhaps you can direct me."

"Why me? Why don't you ask Call? He's your best friend."

"Oh, Mr. Mosby. Don't be silly. Newton doesn't even know Miss Jessup."

Mr. Mosby looked thoroughly confused. "Miss Jessup? Olivia? What does she have to do with this?"

Maria gave him a very patient look. "She's the one I want to ask. Since you know her quite well, do you think she might allow me to . . . that she won't tell Robert . . . about . . . you know . . . . " She blushed again.

He chuckled, a look relief upon his face. "Miss Bennett, Olivia would exercise the utmost discretion. Your words are safe with her."

"Oh, thank you, Mr. Mosby. You're too kind."

He replaced his hat on his head. "If that is all, Miss Bennett?"

She frowned. There was something else . . . .

"Do you remember our stagecoach ride . . . the one where . . . when we . . . when I was . . . when you saved my life?"

He took off his hat. He nodded solemnly.

Maria bit her lip. "Do you think Robert would hold it against me?"

Mr. Mosby smiled at her. "No, Maria. He loves you very much."

He replaced his hat on his head. "Olivia said she would be alone later this afternoon. Perhaps you'll want to catch her then." He regarded her before he turned to leave. "Oh, and Maria?"

"Yes?"

"As far as Robert's concerned, you have nothing to worry about."

Tears of gratitude welled in her eyes. "Thank you, Mr. Mosby."

He smiled and left. She stared after him, then frowned.

That was all well and good, but Mr. Mosby did not know about the contents of that pamphlet.


"'Give little, give seldom, and above all, give grudgingly,'" Miss Jessup read aloud in her room at the Dove. "'Otherwise, what could have been a proper marriage could become an orgy of sexual lust.'" Miss Jessup skimmed over the rest of the pamphlet's contents. "It reads that the young bride should not even allow her husband to kiss her . . . that the marriage bed is only to beget children. Why, according to this, the bride must become positively stoic!" She removed her reading glasses and observed Maria, who had turned an awful shade of maroon.

"Forgive me, Miss Jessup," Maria begged again. "I didn't know to whom I could turn." Then Maria sighed in misery. "Oh, it can't be true! To think, all this time I've incited dearest Robert's passions. Oh, how I did enjoy him kissing me most passionately. I hate to think I have to give all that up. I do so want to be the perfect bride for him. I didn't mean to be a harlot, truly I didn't."

"My dear child," Miss Jessup exclaimed behind a smile. "Don't assume such needless worry. I can't believe that anyone would ever write such an article, let alone engage in such stinginess to her own husband or being. I must say, I am sorry for the poor reverend." She gave the pamphlet a disapproving look and set it down.

"Then it's not true?" Maria asked hopefully.

"Why, no, my dear. Marriage is difficult enough without placing additional strain upon it. Life is so fleeting. It is right to enjoy such little pleasures it gives."

"I do like kissing him," Maria admitted.

"Then continue to do so. You have so many other obstacles to worry about in your upcoming years of marriage. This is the least of them. Give comfort to each other while you can."

"It's just that I know so little about . . . you know . . . that I don't know what to do or how to make him happy. I don't know what to wear or how to behave. That article makes it seem so horrible to have it done to you . . . ." Maria shuddered, remembering her near rape. She could not argue. "I'm afraid that Robert won't want me when it is all over."

Miss Jessup sighed. She squeezed Maria's hand. "As for what you wear, it truly doesn't matter. As for the actual interlude, you might want to think of it as . . . dancing. Let him lead you, and you must follow. He will know what to do."

It gave Maria a little hope. "I like to dance."

Miss Jessup patted her hand. "Robert will be most happy to hear it."

"I like the waltz and the polka," Maria continued. "I liked to be twirled around again and again. It's always nice to be dipped."

Miss Jessup smiled wryly. "One can only hope, my dear."

Maria blushed. "Oh, Miss Jessup. Thank you so much for your advice. I knew that you would be able to tell me the truth. I didn't have anyone else to go to."

"Think nothing of it. I'm only too glad to help. Robert is such a dear friend of mine, and I hope that you and I will become dear friends, also."

Maria smiled warmly at her and squeezed her hand. "I would like that very much. I have so few people that I consider my friends. I am so grateful to you already. Oh, please Miss Jessup, I would be most honored if you stand up with me at my wedding."

Miss Jessup patted her hand. "Why, my dear child, I would be only too happy too oblige."

Maria beamed. "Uncle Josiah is going to be there, of course. He was going to walk me down the aisle before Newton returned from the dead, but I must say, I feel so blessed that Newton's returned to me. Anyway, my uncle will be standing up front during the ceremony. I believe that you may be standing very close to him."

Miss Jessup gave her a dubious look. "My dear, whatever do you mean? Are you trying to match me up with your uncle? Do you realize that I am engaged woman?"

Maria bit her lip. She considered fibbing to Miss Jessup about her intentions. "It's just that I know that my uncle holds you in the deepest regard. It is my fondest wish that he could find happiness, and you are the only woman I've ever known that has made his face light up. I've never seen his eyes sparkle, except when he looks at you."

Miss Jessup looked down at the floor, sadness marring her delicate features. "Josiah and I parted on such unpleasant terms. It is too late for us now."

Maria squeezed the older woman's hand. "Not when there is love in your hearts. We just need to get the two of you together. I believe my uncle is willing."

"But I am an engaged woman," Miss Jessup protested. "Herbert wouldn't like it."

"Herbert?" Maria questioned. "Oh, no. You could never marry a man named 'Herbert.'"

Miss Jessup let go of her hand. "Herbert's a powerful man. If I broke my promise to him, he would be most unhappy."

Maria frowned. She wondered if Miss Jessup was afraid of her own fiancé. It was very disturbing to think that Miss Jessup would be unhappy in her marriage.

Miss Jessup smiled bravely at her. "It will be all right, my child, you'll see. I really do appreciate what you are trying to do. Sometimes, though, you have to realize that there are reasons why things happen the way they do. Everything does have a purpose."

Maria decided not to press the issue. "I am glad you are here, and I know my uncle is, too. We are both glad to have your friendship."

Miss Jessup squeezed her hand. "You are a sweet child. Thank you. I am glad to know that your uncle still cares. For years I thought that he . . ." Miss Jessup shook her head, as if shaking off an unpleasant memory. Then she smiled brightly at Maria. "It appears our talk today has been beneficial to us both."

Tears welled in Maria's eyes. It was so nice to have a friend.


"Newton, I brought you something," Maria said breathlessly as she searched the contents of her basket. She had been busy that entire afternoon preparing for the wedding. She had completed all her tasks so she could spend more time with her blood brother. She knew that he would appreciate it.

She pulled out a plate of cookies for him. "This is a recipe of Aunt Sarah's. I had to whack Austin with a spoon several times so that he would stay out of the cookie dough. His hands are black and blue." Maria neglected to tell her blood brother that she might have whacked Austin a little more than what was necessary. She did not appreciate Austin giving her that "proper wife" pamphlet. "Help yourself, Newton. I made enough for the whole town."

He looked down at the plate. He placed it on his nightstand. "Not hungry."

Maria frowned. He did look a little pale. Dr. Cleese said that he was healing well, but these sort of things took time.

She placed her hand on his forehead. He shrugged her away.

"You don't feel feverish," she commented. She regarded him with pity.

"I ain't sick," he snapped. "Just not hungry, is all."

"Newton," she reprimanded. "You'd think you were crotchety by the way you are acting. You probably haven't got any rest. Are you able to sleep? Do you need a pillow?"

"I need some peace and quiet, is all. Now git."

He was sick. She decided to humor him. She would lavish her attentions on the older man in neighboring sickbed instead.

Maria took another plate of cookies out of her basket. She gave them to Captain Call.

"Ma'am," he nodded awkwardly.

"I made plenty," Maria told him. "They are Uncle Josiah's favorite."

Captain Call regarded a cookie dubiously, then he bit into it. He finished the cookie in a single bite.

"They're good, aren't they?" she commented.

He gave her a single nod. He ate another cookie.

"May I get you some milk, Captain, or perhaps some coffee?"

"No. These are fine, ma'am. Thank you," he said.

Maria beamed at him. She placed a chair between the two beds so that she could attend to either man. She took her knitting out of the basket.

"I'm knitting my dearest Robert some gloves," she told the older man. "I knitted Newton some mittens once. I worry about his hands getting cold."

The older man nodded awkwardly. Her blood brother stared at the opposite wall.

Maria knitted several stitches, holding a stitch holder between her teeth. She placed a few stitches on her stitch holder, carefully crafting her work. "Cables can be tricky, Captain. You have to pay attention which direction you place them." She knitted the stitches off the holder and once again placed it between her teeth. The older gentleman shifted in his bed.

She finished the row, the click of her needles the only sound in the room. Neither man said a word.

She knitted to her cable pattern again, placing the correct stitches on her holder. "I always have to be careful with these kind of knitting needles. Uncle Josiah sat on them once. You should have heard him," she said. She finished her cable. She placed the holder between her teeth. She finished knitting her row.

She wished she had a rocking chair. It was always better to knit in a rocking chair.

She looked up at the older gentleman. He appeared a little uncomfortable.

Maria placed her knitting down and attended to the older man. "Do you need a pillow, Captain? Perhaps I can adjust your blanket?"

"I'm fine, ma'am," he replied tersely.

Maria regarded him dubiously. He was, after all, a Texas Ranger. Undoubtedly, he was used to the rougher elements. He would be unlikely to complain, even if he was uncomfortable.

She gingerly tucked his blanket, taking care not to hurt his injured leg.

"I was recently shot in the same leg as your injured one," Maria commented.

The Captain looked at her as if that he had no trouble believing that she was shot. "You said that."

"I convalesced in the same bed as Newton is in right now," she continued. She hobbled over to her blood brother. "Oh, Newton! I was probably shot at the same time as you had your leg reset. We probably had sympathy pains."

"I have one big pain now," he muttered.

"What was that, Newton? Can I get you something? Perhaps I should summon Dr. Cleese?"

"No, now just git," he snapped.

Maria sighed. She hobbled over to the older man. "Normally Newton has a sweet disposition. He just doesn't like to be restricted to his sick room," she explained.

The older man frowned at his son. "Ain't no call for rudeness."

Maria thought that he was right. She liked Captain Call more and more. "Perhaps I can make you a scarf, Captain, or perhaps some mittens. I can make you some mittens just like Newton's."

Her blood brother snorted and looked off aloofly.

"You needn't be doing that, ma'am," Captain Call said. He appeared ill at ease.

"Oh, but it's my pleasure," she said brightly. "It's the least I could do for the man that saved my Newton." She sat back down in her seat, taking up her knitting again.

Her blood brother grunted, his eyes never averting from the wall. The older gentleman shifted in his bed.

"His name is 'Newt,'" he pointed out while her knitting needles clicked away.

Her blood brother's gaze then tore into the older gentleman's. "No, the name's 'Call.'" He challenged his father to argue with him.

The Captain's jaw twitched. "I gave you the horse," he said. "The name's not worth much."

The son tried to look off aloofly.

"What you do with it is what's important," the older man said. "Bounty hunting's a step up from rustling."

The younger man shrugged. "Killing folks that had it coming is what I'm best at."

"Ain't nothing to be proud of."

"Ain't ever mattered to you one way or the other."

The Captain's mouth tightened into a grim line as he shifted in his bed.

"Don't worry," the younger man told him. "Ain't no love lost."

"Or honor, either," the older man said. He got up from his bed. His face became pale as he placed his weight on his injured leg, but he managed to make it to the door. Maria tried to stop him, but the Captain shrugged her off as politely as he could.

When the older man was gone, Maria turned angrily to face her blood brother.

"Newton, why did you do that? Your poor father is sick and injured. I don't think he'll stay, even if I do beg him. He can't go out there alone with his leg like that."

"He's tough."

"He's only one man, Newton. Not unlike yourself. Where would you be if he didn't help you? You'd be dead."

"You know nothing of it. Now go away."

"If that isn't the silliest thing I've ever heard," Maria muttered. "Don't you care that he's out there all alone?"

Her blood brother did not look at her.

"He's your father."

"In name," he spat out.

Maria stomped her foot and grimaced. It was her bad leg.

"Well, I've got to go get him," she sighed.

"Go on then. Git."

"Watch my knitting, Newton. I'll be back."

"Don't bother."

"Get some sleep."

He grunted.

"I love you, no matter how surly you act."

"Git."

Maria turned to leave. She would have been worried about how he was treating her, except she spied him eying her cookies.

He was a very silly man.


"Captain Call, please don't leave," Maria begged. "Newton didn't mean it, truly he didn't." She clasped onto his pant leg. He had managed to get on his horse, but his face was beaded with sweat from the effort. He appeared very pale.

The older man said nothing. He stared at her hand, willing her to let go of his pant leg.

"Your leg is injured, Captain. At least allow someone to accompany you. I'm sure I could get Mr. Root to help you. He's a friend of Newton's."

"Don't need the like," the older gentleman replied, staring straight ahead.

"Newton still needs your help," Maria added desperately. "He has an inner pain that has never healed. He needs your guidance and strength."

The Captain's jaw twitched as his eyes steeled ahead. He appeared overcome with emotion. "I have nothing to give the boy. Never have."

And Maria had thought that his son was stubborn . . . .

"Captain, please. I beg you. I need your help."

The Captain swallowed hard.

"Think of Newton," she added.

A gasp escaped his throat. "His name is 'Newt,'" he said. He nodded forward, unable to meet her gaze. "Goodbye, ma'am." He urged his horse ahead.

She watched him ride out of town injured and all alone.

No one bid him goodbye.


She squeezed him with all her might.

"Honey, as much as I like this, do you think you ought to be doing this is the middle of the street?"

She did not let go. "I love you, Robert."

He held her at arm's length. He caressed her chin. He smiled and tapped her on the nose, and he pulled her to him.


She frowned. Maria could not think of any reason why Miss Selena would be angry with her, yet the woman clearly avoided her the next day in Mr. Creel's general store.

"I would not concern yourself, Miss Bennett," Miss Jessup said. "It is probably me."

Maria frowned again. "Why would she --"

Maria watched as the brunette woman guided the baby carriage out of the store. She gave Maria and Miss Jessup a dirty look before leaving.

"I did invite Miss Selena and Miss Florie to my wedding," Maria mused aloud. "They didn't seem too unhappy with me then." She shrugged. "Miss Selena is very protective of Miss Florie's baby. I did make little Lawrence Robert cry once. I inadvertently frightened him. Perhaps she hasn't forgiven me for that."

A wan smile crossed Miss Jessup's face. "Perhaps. Come. Your uncle said that he would meet us for luncheon."

Maria beamed at her. "Yes. It should be wonderful."

Maria did not tell her that she had "arranged" to leave shortly after sitting down with Miss Jessup and her uncle. She had to leave them alone and see what might develop. Besides, her blood brother needed her attention.

Maria sighed. She had so much to do in so little time.


Maria bit her lip. Where was her uncle? He should have joined them a half-hour ago. Surely, he would not be late for a lunch date with Miss Jessup. What could he be thinking? Something must be wrong.

"Maybe he has mayoral duties that he needs to attend to," Maria suggested, knowing that was unlikely. She never knew her uncle to do anything that a real mayor would do. It was good that Mr. Mosby kept him on in that capacity. Being mayor was good for her uncle, although the town never seemed to benefit.

"I do hope that he arrives here soon," Miss Jessup said. "I have another engagement to attend this afternoon."

If her uncle would show up, then perhaps Miss Jessup could have an engagement of a different sort with him, Maria thought as she tapped her fingers on the table. Her hopes rose as a lone figure entered the room, only to be dashed in the image of Mr. Mosby. Normally, she was happy to see Mr. Mosby, but he was not a welcome sight at this particular time.

"Why, Clay," Miss Jessup exclaimed, motioning him to their table. "Are you meeting someone? We would happy if you would accompany us for luncheon."

"No!" Maria blurted out. Mr. Mosby and Miss Jessup looked at her curiously.

Maria could not think of reason why Mr. Mosby should not sit down, but it was imperative that her uncle and Miss Jessup be alone without Maria and Mr. Mosby's interference. Her face turned red under their scrutiny.

"Mr. Mosby, that chair is quite filthy," Maria lied. "I would not advise sitting there."

Mr. Mosby's amber eyes narrowed at her. "Oh, really? Well, I'll get another." He nodded at them. "Ladies."

Maria stomped her foot under the table as Mr. Mosby fetched a chair and came back to join them. He lightly touched Miss Jessup on the shoulder and sat across from Maria. He studied her thoughtfully.

The door opened, and once again, Maria's hopes were dashed. It was Deputy Ike. Where could her uncle be?

"Are you looking for someone?" Mr. Mosby asked Maria with a bemused look on his face.

"Josiah was supposed to meet us for luncheon, but obviously, he has been detained," Miss Jessup explained. Maria thought that she could hear the disappointment in her voice.

"Then I must be a sorry substitute for Mayor Peale," he said, his gaze centered on Maria.

"Heavens no, Clay," Miss Jessup protested.

Maria wished she could say the same, but she had already lied once.

Mr. Mosby laughed at Maria, then he addressed Miss Jessup, "I am glad that my company is not objectionable to you fine ladies. Now what are we going to have for our lunch?"

Maria could not let lunch begin without her uncle. She had to stall. And she had to get rid of Mr. Mosby.

The door opened again, and Maria could have cursed. What could Dr. Cleese possibly want at the Dove?

Mr. Mosby's amber eyes sparkled almost wickedly at Maria. "Why, if it isn't Dr. Cleese, " he exclaimed. "Why, look, Miss Bennett -- it's Dr. Cleese." He summoned the little physician to the table. "Doctor, please join us for lunch. Olivia, you remember Dr. Ephraim Cleese, don't you? He's one of Curtis Wells' finest citizens."

While Miss Jessup nodded at Dr. Cleese, Maria wondered how she was to manage getting rid of two gentleman instead of one.

Why did Mr. Mosby have to look so jovial about this? Did he realize how complicated he just made matters?

"Dr. Cleese," Maria interjected before the physician had time to settle himself at the table. "I saw something quite concerning while I was at Miss Taylor's dress shop this morning. She rubbed her elbow, and I could tell that she was hurting. I told her that she ought to see you immediately, but a flush developed over her face when I mentioned it. I do believe she is too embarrassed to complain. I feel so awful for her. Sewing is her livelihood, after all."

Maria suppressed a smile when she saw Dr. Cleese's brow furrow in concern. She knew that Dr. Cleese and Miss Taylor were sweet on each other.

"I do have a salve that I could offer her," Dr. Cleese said. "Perhaps I should apply it for her." He almost seemed happy about that. "A flush, you say?" he asked, almost hopefully.

"Oh yes," Maria nodded. "Most definitely a flush."

"Then I should go immediately," Dr. Cleese said. "She could be quite ill."

"Doctor, you are too kind," Maria said, smiling.

Mr. Mosby added wryly, "Yes, quite."

The doctor left their company as Maria glanced over at Mr. Mosby. Her gave her a small nod, as if acknowledging her victory. Perhaps he suspected.

Maria frowned. She was fortunate that she had indeed seen Miss Taylor rub her elbow earlier that morning. It was easier to embellish the truth than to lie outright. If Mr. Mosby suspected, then he would not be likely to be fooled by anything she had to say, truth or otherwise. She had the feeling he would not make this easy.

"Shall we order?" Mr. Mosby suggested.

"Mr. Mosby, I've been meaning to ask you something," Maria blurted before Miss Jessup could answer him.

His voice dropped to honeyed tones. "By all means, Miss Bennett. Ask away."

He stared at her while she tried to formulate a response.

"Um --" Maria began.

"Yes?"

She bit her lip. "I - I --"

He smiled at her. "Why don't we order something to drink, and we'll discuss it over lunch. Olivia, what will you be having?"

"Tea would be lovely, Clay."

"The same for you, Miss Bennett? I recall you are also fond of tea?"

Maria had no choice but to nod.

"Fine. Coffee for me."

Maria could have cursed. It would be more difficult to think of a reason for both of them to leave in the middle of the meal.

The door opened again, and finally, her uncle was there. Maria sighed with relief. Her uncle could join the meal not yet in progress, and Maria would find a reason for her and Mr. Mosby to leave. Things still might work.

Maria jumped up and offered her uncle the chair Mr. Mosby had originally tried to sit down in.

"Uncle Josiah --" she began, then stopped when he reached their table. Something indeed was wrong. He smelled faintly of liquor, and he appeared angry.

"Olivia," he said. "I can't believe you would do this to me again."

"Josiah," she exclaimed, growing pale. "Let me explain."

"There's nothing to explain! You came here under false pretenses. Again. I can't believe that you would do this!"

Maria had no idea what her uncle was talking about, but this was not the place. Besides, he was ruining all his chances with Miss Jessup.

She stepped between them. "Uncle Josiah --"

"Josiah," Mr. Mosby growled. "You will leave. Now."

"You," Josiah said, regarding him contemptuously. "You're behind all of this . . . that you would do this to your own child."

Mr. Mosby threw his napkin on the table and stood up. He looked ready to pounce. Miss Jessup's eyes were averted to the ground in misery.

Maria did not know what her uncle was talking about, but she knew she had to get her uncle out of the Dove.

"Please," she begged, pushing on his chest.

"You're not having her stand up with you," Josiah ordered her. "You will not stand by a woman that will take another woman's child."

Maria was confused. "What?"

"She's taking Florie's child with her back to Denver to that fiancé of hers," Josiah said bitterly.

Maria's jaw dropped. She looked to Miss Jessup. Her averted eyes revealed the truth of his words.

Maria stared at Mr. Mosby. It was difficult to believe . . . his own child. She could not believe that he would do this to his own child.

Mr. Mosby fidgeted uncomfortably for a moment, then steeled himself under her steady gaze.

Maria shook her head, turning away from him. She pulled on her uncle.

"Olivia didn't come here for your wedding, Maria," Josiah told her. "She came here to steal another woman's baby."

"That's enough," Maria whispered, tugging on her uncle.

They had to leave.


She found him in the Ambrosia Club once she calmed her uncle down. He was having a drink with Mr. Mosby. There were several other people in the saloon.

It was good of her Robert to support his friend. Mr. Mosby looked rather disheveled. It was rare that Maria had ever seen him without his overcoat. He did not even wear a cravat.

"Miss Bennett," Mr. Mosby began, obviously tipsy. "Sit down, and have a drink with us."

He knew that she did not drink.

"No. I just wanted to talk to Robert, but I'll come back later."

Maria turned to leave, but Mr. Mosby stopped her. "No, you two lovebirds talk. I know when to leave."

"Damn it, Clay," Robert said as he placed his hand on his friend's shoulder, anchoring him to the table. "You're not going anywhere.

"Maria, honey, can this wait?"

Mr. Mosby was precisely the topic she wanted discuss with Robert, but it was obvious that Mr. Mosby needed him for his support and guidance.

"Of course," she nodded. "We'll talk later."

She took one look at Mr. Mosby and assessed that it would be much later. She smiled briefly at Robert, then shook her head when her glance fell on his friend.

It was still hard to believe.


"Josiah, if you'll just listen --" she heard Miss Jessup exclaim as Maria walked through the office door. Miss Jessup was arguing with her uncle in the parlor. Though Maria could not see them, she could hear them well enough.

"I've heard enough from Florie and Selena, Olivia. They told me that you came here to take the baby. You can't deny it. What else is there to discuss?"

"But, Josiah. Listen. Clay wants the child to be raised away from here. He thinks Denver is the perfect opportunity for him. He wants the child to grow up in a respectable home, in which Herbert and I can provide him."

"You are taking a baby away from his mother."

"Clay says his mother is unsuitable."

"That's what he says," Josiah argued. "Florie and Selena seem to be taking adequate care of the child. He looks healthy enough."

"Lawrence Robert is adorable," Miss Jessup admitted. "But that is beside the point."

"The point is that you can't take the baby away without the mother's consent. Florie isn't the best mother in the world, granted, but there is no reason why the child should be taken away from her. What you are doing is akin to kidnapping."

"Clay is the child's father, Josiah. He has a right to make decisions about the child's welfare, too."

"By giving the child to a woman with a just as questionable past as Florie's, hmm?"

Maria did not hear Miss Jessup speak for a moment. "I see you are just as judgmental as before, Josiah."

She could hear the hurt in Miss Jessup's voice.

"Why are you taking the baby, Olivia?" Josiah asked her.

Again, Maria did not hear Miss Jessup speak. Maria felt sorry for her.

"Clay asked me to --"

"This is your last chance at motherhood," Josiah commented. "You're taking another woman's child away from her so that you can have it for yourself."

"That is entirely unfair!"

"However correct," Josiah argued. "You are an aging, albeit beautiful woman, Olivia. This is your last chance."

"As is yours, Josiah," was Miss Jessup's steely reply.

Maria thought perhaps that she had left them alone for far too long. She pretended to have just walked in. When she entered into the room, she could see that Miss Jessup was visibly upset. Her uncle wore a look of disgust on his face.

"If that is all, Miss Jessup?" Her uncle said.

"It is, Mr. Peale," Miss Jessup retorted.

Maria threw a warning look at her uncle, who shuffled and smirked. Then she turned towards the older woman.

"Miss Jessup," Maria pleaded. "I'm sure all of this can be worked out."

Miss Jessup's steely eyes centered on her. "It is time for you to relinquish your childish and foolish fantasies, Miss Bennett. I would grow up, if I were you."

She nodded politely at them both and left.

Maria felt like she had been slapped. She looked at her uncle, who only shrugged.

She went to her room. She felt like slamming the door, but that was undignified.


Robert rubbed his eyes. He appeared to be tired.

Maria wrapped her arms around him. He sighed and held her.

"How is Mr. Mosby?" Maria asked when he pulled away from her.

He sat on the couch. He sighed and shook his head.

"It's late. I best be going," he said, although he looked too tired to stand.

"That bad?"

Robert did not reply.

She sat down and held his hand.

"Oh, Robert, my dearest. I'm sorry you had to find out like this. What a shock it must have been. I felt so awful when I heard about it. Poor Mr. Mosby."

He did not look at her. He let go of her hand. "I told him not to do this. Clay's so damn stubborn. Sometimes it would be easier to move a mountain than change his mind about anything. But no, Clay has to learn the hard way."

Maria scrutinized him for a moment. "You knew about this?"

His eyes averted from hers.

"How long have you known about this?" she asked very calmly.

He tried to embrace her but was unsuccessful.

"Maria, honey. Don't excite yourself."

"Do you have any idea the kind of fool I've made of myself trying to match Miss Jessup with my uncle?"

"I warned you about that."

She stomped her foot and grimaced. It was her bad foot.

He tried to embrace her again, but she pulled away. He had no right being right.

"Honey --"

"Don't 'honey' me. Do you realize that I've asked Miss Jessup to stand up with me at our wedding?"

"Why can't she? You like her, don't you?"

Maria sighed. That was the misery of the thing. "Yes. I admire her very much, but I'm afraid she doesn't like me. I discovered her true opinion of me this afternoon."

Robert sighed in fatigue. "What did she say? You're probably making more out of it than you should."

She resented his implication. "Is that so?" she said, repeating a phrase she had learned from her Newton. She placed her hands on her hips. She could be just as unyielding as her blood brother was, she decided.

Robert sighed. "I'm too tired for this. We'll talk about it tomorrow."

"We'll talk about it now."

"I didn't come here to argue with you, Maria."

"Then what did you come here for, Robert?"

He smiled at her. "Your loving arms, of course."

Maria snorted at that.

"Honey, please." He held out his arms to her.

Maria sighed. Perhaps it would be wisest to let it go. After all, she did love him, even if he was a trial at times.

She reluctantly let him hold her, but then she melted in his warm embrace.

"So how is Mr. Mosby, truly?" she asked again she when pulled away from him.

"Clay's asleep. He'll be all right."

"You've told him what a mistake this is, haven't you?"

"Of course I have. He insists that the child will be better off in Denver. I have to admit. He's probably right."

"A child can't be separated from his mother."

"He has some fool notion of sending Florie with Olivia to be the baby's nanny, but Florie wouldn't agree to it. She insists that he's not taking him."

"She has right to say that, Robert. He is her child."

"The child is Clay's, too."

Maria nodded. "Then he should act like it and marry Miss Florie. All of this is so simple. It would take care of everything."

"Honey, you don't understand. The baby was born on the wrong side of the blanket. He will never marry that kind of woman."

"He built her a house, Robert."

"That was before he heard from Olivia. Olivia is far more suitable to raise the child, don't you understand?"

She sighed. "No. The child has two parents. Two. Mr. Mosby should take responsibility and marry that woman. I've thought that all along."

"I know that you think that. Everyone knows that you think that. It's just not that simple. There's more to it than that."

"Does Mr. Mosby love Miss Florie?"

"How would I know that?"

"He shouldn't have had relations with her if he didn't love her."

He sighed as if praying for patience. "She's a prostitute, Maria. Men pay her to share their bed."

"Well, men are quite shocking if you ask me. I'm sure you've never done anything like that."

He did not reply.

"Robert?"

"Let's talk about this later."

Maria would have to keep a list of topics that they should discuss later.

"Men just don't marry women like that, don't you see?"

"That makes no sense. What makes me different than Miss Florie?"

"You're pure and innocent. You're exactly the kind of girl that a man would want to settle down with." He tried to snuggle up against her, but she turned away from him, remembering her near rape at the hands of the stage robbers.

"What is it?" He took her by the shoulders and turned her to face him. "Maria?"

She could not answer. She pulled away from him instead. "It's not as if she wanted this sort of thing. A girl doesn't grow up dreaming that she will become a . . . a . . . you know. Did you ever think that she might have a heart?"

He frowned at her. "Of course, she does. It's just that that part of her isn't so well used as her other parts."

"You speak of her as if she is used merchandise."

"Unfortunately, she is. A man wants a woman he can trust. He doesn't want a woman that every man in the territory has had his hands on."

Maria bit her lip. "But even if she has had some experience . . . even if she has been touched . . . couldn't he still love her? Couldn't he still trust her?"

He gave her a quizzical look. "What are you going on about? This is nonsense. Why don't come over here, and let me nibble on you a little."

"That reminds me," she said, ignoring the smoldering look in his eyes. "Why didn't you tell me about this whole business with Mr. Mosby and Miss Jessup and Miss Florie? Don't you trust me?"

"My Lord, you are spitfire tonight. What's got your dander up?"

"I trust you. I trust you with everything. I know I should have told you this before, but I was afraid."

"What the . . . tell me what? What are you going on about?"

"I was touched before," she admitted, starting to feel hysterical. "A year or so ago. The stage was robbed. One of those awful men . . . touched me. There. Are you satisfied? Now you know everything there is to know about me. I'm . . . used." She felt ashamed. "I'm so sorry, Robert."

He did not speak for a moment.

"I suppose you'd better go now," Maria said before hot tears threatened to overcome her.

"You were raped?" he asked, a low growl in his throat.

"Would that matter?" she ventured.

"Who did it?"

"They're all dead," she replied, well aware that he did not answer her question.

"'They?' There's more than one?"

"Just one," she whispered. She had never before seen fury in his eyes.

"He's dead," she added. "They're all dead."

She wiped her eyes. "I think you'd better go now, Robert."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" he demanded.

"I hoped that it wouldn't matter," she whispered. "Just go, Robert. Please."

Pain replaced the fury in his eyes. "Maria . . .."

"Go," she begged.

He stared at her, then he nodded.

He left her alone, looking like a man that had been punched.

She ran to her room and sobbed for the remainder of the night.


"What did that bastard Shelby do to you?" Austin demanded again.

"He's not a bastard, Austin," Maria said, shaking her head sadly. She was the one that should have told her fiancé her circumstances a long time ago.

"You couldn't prove it by me," he snorted. "I told you this would happen a long time ago."

Maria felt as if she was going to be sick.

"You all right?" he asked, his voice a little more tender. "I'll take you to the Dove for breakfast."

She did not feel like eating.

"Come on," he said. "You look like death warmed over."

"Thanks," she retorted.

"Father is already there. I think he wanted to talk to Olivia Jessup." Austin shook his head. "It's a damn shame what Mosby's doing to his own kid."

Maria shook her head. She did not want to talk about that.

"He's a bastard, and so is his friend."

She wished Austin would leave. He had very little understanding of the situation.

"I'll be all right, Austin. You go ahead and eat. I'll be fine."

He scrutinized her. "You sure?"

She nodded. She tried to feign a smile.

"You're pathetic," he said.

She nodded. She knew it.


She sat alone with her blood brother. She sighed, but she did not say anything. She took comfort from his presence. Once again, she thanked the Lord that her blood brother was back in her life. She was lucky.

He did not say anything, either. He grunted when he tried to get up from his bed. She eased him back down, and he allowed her to momentarily pat his hand.

She sighed again. He looked quizzically at her. His hand touched hers for the briefest of moments.

He drew his hand away. He tried to maintain the appearance of distance.

She wiped away a tear.

Later, she realized what a sad man he was.


She was so very tired. She did not have much sleep, but there was so much to do. She had to will each foot in front of her. Every step she took resounded her failure, her lost dreams, her heartbreak. How could she undo all of the wedding plans that she had made over the last few months?

She paused before she entered Mr. Creel's general store. There was a shipment that she had to cancel.

Mr. Mosby stepped out, nearly bumping into her.

"Miss Bennett, forgive me. I was lost in my thoughts."

Maria nodded at him wearily.

He sighed. "It appears you had a bad night. Like I did. Like Robert did."

Maria bit her lip. "He did?"

"Oh, come now. Both of you are acting silly. Go to the man. Tell him you love him."

She shook her head sadly. "It's not that simple."

"Of course it is. You both have wedding jitters."

"I don't. I want to marry him."

Mr. Mosby frowned. "Well then go to him. Go on now. He's at the Ambrosia drinking what's left of the morning."

She dared to hope. "Thank you, Mr. Mosby."

"Call me, 'Clay,' Maria. You are going to marry my best friend."

She smiled at him. He was as good friend to her now as in the past.

"Thank you, Mister, er, Clay."

He touched the brim of his hat. He turned to leave.

"Mr. Mosby --"

He turned around and grinned at her.

She smiled and shrugged. "You've been a good friend to me. You've always advised me well, and I believe I can offer you some advice, too."

"And what might that be?" he asked warily.

She bit her lip. She knew had to proceed cautiously.

"It's about Newton."

He let out a sigh of relief. "What about Call?"

"Well, maybe it's not so much advice as it is an example. Newton is very lonely man."

His eyes narrowed at her. "Yes? And your point would be?"

"I understand that Newton didn't know that Woodrow Call was his father for many years. Today both men are estranged and sad. They don't know how to communicate with each other. Woodrow Call may have a ranch and many men that respect him, but he does not know the love of his son. I would hate to see that happen to anyone I care about. I wouldn't want to see that happen to you or to little Lawrence Robert."

She saw his face harden. "I'll keep that in mind, Miss Bennett. Thank you for your concern. Good day."

He touched his hat again and left.

She stared after him.

He was a very sad man.


She peeked through the window, but it was dark inside the Ambrosia Club. As far as she could tell, no one was there. Mr. Mosby had to be wrong -- Robert was not inside.

She frowned and briefly considered knocking on the door. The Ambrosia Club was closed until late afternoon. She could not wait to talk to Robert until then.

Swallowing hard, she knocked on the door. No answer. She knocked again.

"We're closed," she heard a voice call from inside. It was Robert. He was irritated.

"Robert, it's me," Maria called through the door.

There was no reply. She wondered if he had heard her.

"Robert?" she called out.

Still no answer.

She could not talk to him through a door. Perhaps he wanted her to be humiliated in this way.

"Robert, please," she begged.

His silence spoke volumes. Heartbroken, she turned away.

The door opened. Robert stood in the doorway. He looked awful.

"You're the last person I expected to see," he said gruffly. He squinted from the light, covering his eyes. "Come in. Hurry."

Maria was unsure if the Ambrosia Club was the best place to talk, but she allowed him to usher her inside.

"Forgive the mess," he said, clearing away a table with many empty glasses. "I took up where Clay left off. You don't care for one, do you? Of course not. Then you won't mind if I have one." With that, Robert downed a shot.

Maria felt her courage leave her. "Perhaps I should come back later."

"No, no. Stay. Keep me company while I get good and drunk."

"You're already drunk."

"No," he smiled. "I have what's called a hangover, which I aim to get rid of right now." He gulped down another glass. "Now, what can I do for you?"

She did not want to talk to him like this. "I'd better leave."

"No," he said firmly. He stood in front of the door, blocking her way.

He was beginning to frighten her.

"Robert, I --"

"Why are you here?"

She shook her head. She backed up against a table, knocking over a glass on the floor. She knelt, trying to pick up the shards. She did not want to look at the hardened expression on his face.

"Let me get that," he sighed, walking over to meet her. He knelt. He grimaced, dropping a piece.

"You're bleeding, Robert."

"Oh, that's what they call that red stuff," he said whimsically, looking at the blood dripping between his fingers.

"Let me get that for you," Maria said, grabbing a bar rag. She tenderly wrapped it around his fingers. She allowed herself to caress his hand.

He did not pull away. Instead, he took her by the shoulders. "What happened to us last night?" he demanded. "You see, I'm confused."

Maria had to admit that she was, too. "I'm not what you think I am," she finally said.

"And what is that?"

"I'm not . . . pure . . . like you think I am."

"Those bastards," he muttered. "I wish they were alive so I could kill them myself."

"Because what they did makes me unfit to be your wife."

"Because they harmed you." He looked at her incredulously. "I want you. Nothing can change that. Nothing or no one."

"Then it doesn't matter to you?" she asked, daring to hope.

"Of course it matters. Someone hurt you. I'll kill any bastard that ever tries to hurt you. You have to understand something. I'll do anything to protect what I have now. Anything. I just wish you had told me before. I would have been more gentle with you."

"Robert, do you mean it?" she asked in disbelief. "You're so wonderful. You're so understanding."

"Yes, I'm a damn saint. Now can I hold you?"

"You can kiss me, if you want," she said shyly.

His lips gently brushed her forehead. He sat her down at a table. He poured two drinks. "You'd better tell me what happened."

She smiled as she looked into her dearest's eyes. Everything would be all right.


"Miss Jessup?"

The delicate brunette woman looked up from her table at the Dove. "I suppose you would like to offer your recriminations of me as well, Miss Bennett? Everyone else in town has, believe me."

Maria shook her head and gave her a small, encouraging smile. "No, but I would like to sit with you, if you don't mind."

Miss Jessup looked at her warily and nodded.

Maria sat down at the table with her. They did not speak for a moment.

Maria cleared her throat. "Miss Jessup, I would understand if you decided not to stand up with me at my wedding, but I still want you there. Both Robert and I do. Please come."

"You still want me to attend to you?" Miss Jessup asked, her face softening.

Maria nodded, smiling.

"What about your uncle? He forbade it."

"Oh, bosh on Uncle Josiah. He doesn't always get his way. He'll have to wear a pink flower, just like everyone else."

Miss Jessup smiled gratefully at her. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

March 2004

barbed wire

Return to Darcie's LD Fan-Fiction Page

Return to Darcie's Lonesome Dove Page